Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Tone
CF Newbie

windshield wiper problems on my 87 chevy nova

Hello everyone,

I did just prior introduce myself in the correct forum so now I am here My wipers will not move though I can hear the motor. I think I may have possibly done something when I tried using them when they were iced up not long ago. From what I have researched, it seems that it could be a disconnected or broken linkage. Is this correct? Also, is this something that I can simply fix myself? I cannot afford to take the car in for repairs. I have more woes but will post them separately.If this is something that I could fix myself can someone send me complete directions (lol ) I know that is asking alot but I am not experienced at ALL in car repair. But hope to be somewhat
Thankyou so very much in advance
Be well and blessed
Tone
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Sounds like either the wiper arms have 'rounded' themselves off at the spline, or as you say, they've snapped off at the motor itself. Either way, you're probably looking at a new wiper motor, which isn't a particularly difficult on most vehicles. What vehicle is it?....the Nova?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Tone
CF Newbie

thankyou

Hi Cliffy,

Thanks so much for replying. Yes, it is an 87 Nova. Is this something I can do myself never having worked on a car before? As I said, you can hear the motor running when I put them on, they just won't go anywhere. Is there a way for me to tell if it is actually the motor or should I just assume it is and go from there?

Appreciate your time and help
Tone
Old 03-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Hi Cliffy,

Thanks so much for replying. Yes, it is an 87 Nova. Is this something I can do myself never having worked on a car before? As I said, you can hear the motor running when I put them on, they just won't go anywhere. Is there a way for me to tell if it is actually the motor or should I just assume it is and go from there?

Appreciate your time and help
Tone
No probs.

To be honest it's more than likely the wiper arm's at fault, as the motor has probably turned as normal, but due to the ice on the windscreen, the arm wouldn't move, hence why the motor forced itself round, probably breaking the wiper arm. Hope that makes sense. I'm not familiar with that car as I'm in the UK. I'll have a look online though, see what I can come up with!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Ok. I've looked at pictures online, but it's limited to just those of the car itself lol. GM cars are generally easy cars to work on, especially of that era. I recommend you open the bonnet/hood and look for yourself, it should be fairly accessable. Just look at the back of the engine compartment and you should see where the motor's at. You might need to remove a plastic cover, but shouldn't be that hard. Unfortunatelly, that's as much as I can help you with. I'd also recommend purchasing a Haynes manual, as these prove very helpfull in these kinds of situations!

Good luck!

Edit: Just saw thread title......now feel silly for asking what the car was lol

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-02-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
Tone
CF Newbie

Thankyou again

Thanks so much again Cliffy.

I will definitely get myself a repair manual. When I was 17, I wanted to go to school for mechanics. Well my now ex husband and then boyfriend along with my father went nuts on me...bottom line no mechanics and I should have drummed to my own beat hehe
I will let you know how this turns out
Again thankyou so much
I have other issues with this car but I will tackle this one for now

Have a beautiful day
Tone
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Thanks so much again Cliffy.

I will definitely get myself a repair manual. When I was 17, I wanted to go to school for mechanics. Well my now ex husband and then boyfriend along with my father went nuts on me...bottom line no mechanics and I should have drummed to my own beat hehe
I will let you know how this turns out
Again thankyou so much
I have other issues with this car but I will tackle this one for now

Have a beautiful day
Tone
You too.

You're welcome. As I said, more informed members may still reply, so check back if ya can!