Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
illusion34
CF Addict

getting some more horses out of a 92 golf

hey guys.. im about a week away from buying a 92 gold. its not the gti and it has the 8v 1.8 litre engine i believe. my plan it to take it to a bodyshop, take care of the rust, paint it black, get a window tint and put on a high performance muffler maybe, how much do u guys estimate that it would be to do all that? apart from that, what little things could i do to get some more hp? injectors maybe, cai? nothing big liek a turbo
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
hey guys.. im about a week away from buying a 92 gold. its not the gti and it has the 8v 1.8 litre engine i believe. my plan it to take it to a bodyshop, take care of the rust, paint it black, get a window tint and put on a high performance muffler maybe, how much do u guys estimate that it would be to do all that? apart from that, what little things could i do to get some more hp? injectors maybe, cai? nothing big liek a turbo

I do not believe injectors would do much for hp, only gas mileage. A cai would give you maybe 1-2hp, nothing really noticeable. From what it sounds like you need to focus on the exterior before you even think about performance. Get that fully taken care of then have your engine inspected by a mechanic or such for things possibly gone wrong such as 02 sensors transmission oil, engine oil, etc, all those regular maintenance things that almost NONE does do. Once you have the car running well and the exterior the way you want it we can talk more about performance parts and such.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

I didn't know golf's had horses.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #4
illusion34
CF Addict

ok, this is what i NEED for the exterior. rust taken care of, theres like just abit around the car but theres liek a little hole on the higher part of the left side back door. no dents really. black paintjob and a new muffler and i would like a presidential tint.. around how much would that all be?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
ok, this is what i NEED for the exterior. rust taken care of, theres like just abit around the car but theres liek a little hole on the higher part of the left side back door. no dents really. black paintjob and a new muffler and i would like a presidential tint.. around how much would that all be?
Why not, while fixing the muffler, just get a new, less restrictive one?...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
illusion34
CF Addict

lol... thats what i want.. i wouldnt pay for a stock muffler, id want a performance one.. with a NICE sound. no fart can.. but a nice sound. what do u guys suggest? but what would be the overall cost for the stuff i said?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol... thats what i want.. i wouldnt pay for a stock muffler, id want a performance one.. with a NICE sound. no fart can.. but a nice sound. what do u guys suggest? but what would be the overall cost for the stuff i said?

Depends if you have a shop do it all or you attempt at it. A shop? I have no idea, best bet just look in the phone book for some Auto Body shops, take it by some and get a rough idea, they won't charge for that lol. A paint job can be anywhere from 1k-3k, I have a 1k macco paint job on my car from the previous owner and there is only one small spot that was done a little cheap, about the size of a dime right next to my luggage rack, so it isn't really noticeable at all. So I would recommend them, but I do not know if they only do paint jobs or fix your body cosmetically as well.

Also what about the trans and engine and other moving parts? A nice exterior is simply just that without reliable parts.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
illusion34
CF Addict

well, before i buy it its gonna get checked out by the vw mechanic my mom knows.. i was hopin it was gonna be around 1 k for the rust repaires and a new paintjob
Old 03-22-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
ralfsmith
CF Newbie

Oh its very interesting. Could you provide me more information ?

max@digitalhardcore.us
ralfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote