Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
MrMet58
CF Newbie

89 Sunbird blowing fuses

My son's has a 1989 Pontiac Sunbird 132000 miles. Last week It blew the fuse that controls the gauges(temp,gas,oil,alt and speed odometer) I put in a new fuse and it was ok for a day and then it blew again. Got under the hood and looked for a bare wire found nothing, wiggled a bunch of them around and put in a new fuse. went for 3 days and then blew again. About a month ago It blew the fuse for the dash lights. All this has happened since my son and I put in a new stereo. We used the same wiring that the old stereo had.Also when the fuse blows I get a warning light that says check gauges. It flashes on just as the fuse blows and then is gone. Anyone got any ideas where to start. Oh and we also put in new speakers. The left front one is directly over the fuse box. Think I may have nicked a wire when I screwed it back in?
Thanks
Jim
MrMet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

try taking out the speaker and checking, also if the speaker goes deeper than the stock one, the magnet on it could possibly make the fuse rating go down a bit...BUT DO NOT UPGRADE THE RATING...Since it works for a while and then stops, I would think that it is an intermittenet short also assuming that it only goes out when the car is moving on a fairly bumpyish road
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
MrMet58
CF Newbie

Still not working

Took out speaker and nothing was grounding.Its blowing fuses as soon as I turn the key now.this started before I was looking at the speaker. I also pulled the radio out and found nothing there. Should I pull the instrument panel out and check there or start looking undr the hood.A friend told me to check for corsion where the wiring harness plugs into the firewall.I will do that today.The car runs fine just no gauges.
Jim
MrMet58 is offline   Reply With Quote