Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
domingo79
CF Newbie

2001 Dodge Neon 4cyl 2.0

I have had this car since it was born and gotten all of its scheduled maintenance. It received a 90,000 mile tune up around Sept. 2004 and now has about 118,000 miles on it. Just before the 90,000 mile tune up it started to hesitate alot as i would accelerate at a stop light or when i would first start the car. I would push on the gas and it felt like the car was fighting me before it went into gear and accelerated. This was treated by cleaning the fuel filter in 2004. Well, it has started to do this again and has been doing it for about a week now. What are the possible causes? I think it coud either the filter, or maybe the timing belt? I don't think i know enough to assume though. Is there anything you could tell me or ask to help diagnose this problem?
domingo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Have you ever had the injectors cleaned?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Has it been serviced sinse 90,000miles? as it's a large gap otherwise!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

I know exactly what you mean, and for some reason, I doubt it's the timing belt, considering my car is an 05 SX 2.0 with only 12,000 kms on it.

I would recommend checking your igniton system. For some dumbass reason, on the Neons, they seem to have some ghosts. One of them is what you've described. I had that problem previously and it was pinned down to a misfire in the 4th cylinder, caused by a faulty spark plug. It was replaced, and the problem went away.

If you go that route however, just replace all four with aftermarket plugs. I know my baby is getting all four, plus wires, plus the coil pack(NGK Iridium plugs, which the Neons love, and an MSD coil pack, as well as MSD Superconductor 8.5mm wires)
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
When replacing plugs on a 90K mile interval, plug wires (if equipped) are a good investment as well if the car is so equipped..

They definitely are up until 2005...but I don't think the new engine that they are going to be using will have the coilpack/wire setup.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Most newer stuff coming from Ford, Chrysler and GM has a coil on plug set-up. Ford was doing this on their Crown Vics as early as 1998

yeah, but the 2.0 doesn't have that.... I sort of made mention of that when I said I was buying the coilpack, wires, and plugs for my car...