Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
turbokas14
CF Newbie

somethings wrong

recently replaced the radiator in my 95 240sx and i was driving home the other night and i noticed that everyfew minutes, there was this looooud squealing noise coming from my car. got home and was heading inside, and looked back and steam was coming out from under my hood. opened it up and i couldnt tell where it was coming from cuz it was dark and i had no flashlight available, and ive had a stomache virus and the flu since then so i havent been able to get back out to check anything. any idea what it might be so ill know what to be ready for?
turbokas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

well if it was white steam, you probably blew a radiator hose and the white steam is just simply the anti-freeze boiling off and turning into vapour (yes anti-freeze vapour is white) The squealing could possibly be that the belt got wet in the process and was slipping (squealing belts is a sign that they are either worn or slipping)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Or you could have an airlock in the system where it hasn't been bled thoroughly enough when the Radiator was changed! This would cause the cooling fan not to cut in as half of the cooling system is still cold, so the fan switch doesn't think it's time to activate the fan as it thinks it's still cold! In turn, this would cause the car to overheat!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
turbokas14
CF Newbie

that sounds like what might be happening cliffy. so how would i go about fixing that?
turbokas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbokas14
that sounds like what might be happening cliffy. so how would i go about fixing that?
If a garage done the work on it, it's their job to fix it. If you done the work yourself, you're gonna need to bleed the cooling system. I'm not sure about this model in particular, but there's usually a bleed nipple at the at the back of the engine compartment, on either the head itself or in most cases, a coolant pipe. Crack this off and see if it spits loads of air our, befoe re-tightening it! Make sure the vehicle is running and that the engine is reasonably hot while doing this. If no air comes out to start with, sqeeze the nearest water hose to the nipple to help it along!

Some vehicles are self bleeding and wont feature this, but it's worth checking to make sure before you go any further!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-05-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote