Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie

Angry Won't Start - ARGH!!!

Ok, heres the deal. 2 nights ago I finally got my 1987 Dodge Diplomat to run. And run it did, it had a very nice idle and ran very well. Today I wanted to put the exhaust Y-pipe back on. So I attempt to start it. It wouldnt. I pour a tiny bit of gas down the carb and it roars back to life, then quits. So I do this about 10 times and gas still isnt getting to the carb. I find out my fuel pump went bad ( it was acting up anyways, quitting and then working and then stopping) So I replaced it. I go to start my car and it did, but ran like total sh*t, as if some cylinders were not firing(?). It did keep running so I decided while it was I'd move it to the garage. Well, it stalled and wont start for nothing anymore. It just kinda chugs for a few seconds and then stops. If you pump the gas rapidly it almost starts but no. I thought it had a vaccum leak so I also replaced the carb base gasket which didnt do jack, it also has brand new intake gaskets, so I think they're ok. As far as I can tell all the holes in the carb either have something on them or are plugged. The ignition was acting kind of wierd also, but then it went back to normal. Please help, I'm so frustrated at this thing I'm 2 steps away from junking it.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

LOL....I saw that you'd double posted and nearly deleted this one by mistake..whoops lol.

Anyways, are you sure you didn't simply flood the engine when you were trying to start it?...I suggest you take a couple of spark plugs out and see if they're soaked in fuel!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie

Yeah I'm getting fuel, I can see the little streams of fuel coming out when I open the throttle from the accelerator pump, so I know its getting fuel. I can almost start it, except it backfires alot when it starts running, even though I'm 99% sure the timing is right. Would some kind of vaccum leak make it backfire?
And no, its not flooded
Old 03-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
carls47807
CF Freak

for what it's worth, the same exact thing happened to my 95 blazer and it just so happens that out of coincidence the rocker nuts came loose (i just rebuilt the engine), so if you were monkeying around in there like i was at all i would check your valve timing/valve lash.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
Pinstriper38
CF Newbie

I solved it, It had some distributor issues and the chock was sticking. Always the stuff you ASSUME to work right.