Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

Timing Belt

1999 Grand Am GT 3.4L V6 (2 door)

My car has 165,000 KM's on it and I am the second owner. I am not aware of any timing belt replacement / maintenence on the car with the last owner.

Is this something that has to break before you replace it, or is there maintenence for a belt, or do you just replace it every so often just to be sure it doesnt break. Any info would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, if I replace it what should be the General cost. I have heard someone say around $500.00 Canadian, but I am not sure if that is to high.

Jeff v.
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
chico1
CF Newbie

is your vehicle a 3.4 dual overhead cam engine ? if so there is a belt and should be changed every 60,000 miles if not it is a chain driven engine and does not have a maint issue there is one thing to watch out for where the intake manifold mates to the clyinder head you will notice a redish looking fluid seaping out the gaskets are made out of plastic and rubber and over a period of time (this being 36,000 miles or so) you will start to see this leak it must be taking care of immed. cause the coolant will also leak into the engine causing bearing failure good luck
chico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

How do I tell if it is Dual overhead Cam?

interesting that you mention this...I was told that my Lower intake Mantifold Gasket is starting to leak. Midas wanted $750.00 Canadian to repair this. Does this sound like alot, should I shop around a bit?

Note: if I leave my car sitting for a day I do notice a small colant puddle on the ground. By small I mean a few Drops.

Edit: I was also told by others that Midas has a Rep for ripping people off and doing jobs for $$$ that arent actually required. I was told there are a dozen other reasons for small amounts of collant to apear on the ground. I was told to get an engine shampoo and have someone else try and track the leak. This is my first car and stuff like this is opening my eyes to reality to how much driving and owning a car can really cost, especially when I cant repair stuff like this myself.

Last edited by Erdrickk : 03-06-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
chico1
CF Newbie

the way you tell if ti is a dohc is when you open the hood you would shit and say i cant work on this lol the 8th letter in the vin if it is an( M OR E ) then it is a regular 3.4 also that year they showed up with a (J) motor plus the dohc is spelt out on the valve cover now about the price over here parts are approx. 200.00 and the labor is 95.00hr.x 6.5 plus an oil change my self i would take it to a dealer not because i work for one but the warranty is better off if something happens while your on your vac. os something any gm dealer has to fix it at no charge dont let this go to far since the amount of coolant you see on the ground is also going into the engine
chico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

The car is past all warrenties. I am not sure I understand you on the last part, did you say a GM dealership has to fix it for no charge???

Also I was told to keep an eye on my collant levels..It must be one slow leak because I cant notice any drop. Also I was told to keep an eye on my oil, if collant is leaking in to my engine that it would turn a milkly color and that my oil level will actually incease, which it has not and has not turned any color execpt dirty oil color lol

I was told that there is a lower Rad Hose or something down there that could be leaking giving the appearance of a leaking gasket? I am not sure if this makes sense but I know crap about cars. lol
Old 03-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrickk
The car is past all warrenties. I am not sure I understand you on the last part, did you say a GM dealership has to fix it for no charge???

Also I was told to keep an eye on my collant levels..It must be one slow leak because I cant notice any drop. Also I was told to keep an eye on my oil, if collant is leaking in to my engine that it would turn a milkly color and that my oil level will actually incease, which it has not and has not turned any color execpt dirty oil color lol

I was told that there is a lower Rad Hose or something down there that could be leaking giving the appearance of a leaking gasket? I am not sure if this makes sense but I know crap about cars. lol
Not sure if this will help, but I know the Montanas had that problem, where the gaskets would crack or something, and coolant leaked into the oil, making it turn milky white, and GM would fix it on cars that had under 100K km/5(?) years...But this won't happen to all vehicles, and yours might be one of them...

Last edited by chris_knows : 05-05-2006 at 08:32 PM.
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico1
the way you tell if ti is a dohc is when you open the hood you would shit and say i cant work on this lol the 8th letter in the vin if it is an( M OR E ) then it is a regular 3.4 also that year they showed up with a (J) motor plus the dohc is spelt out on the valve cover now about the price over here parts are approx. 200.00 and the labor is 95.00hr.x 6.5 plus an oil change my self i would take it to a dealer not because i work for one but the warranty is better off if something happens while your on your vac. os something any gm dealer has to fix it at no charge dont let this go to far since the amount of coolant you see on the ground is also going into the engine

Punctuate, and we might be able to understand you.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

If it looks more like this...http://www.domesticcrew.com/colin/ca...p/3400swap.jpg...
then it's not a dual overhead cam and the timing belt is actually a timing chain that supposedly doesn't need to be replaced.

If it looks more like this...http://dtcc.cz28.com/Customer/3.4DOH...OHCengine1.jpg....
then it's the DOHC engine. This picture is of an engine installed in a Fiero, though, which means it's backwards...so just picture that engine facing the other way. Couldn't locate a better picture.

Last edited by KNTRDR : 03-06-2006 at 08:58 PM.
KNTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote