Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
magus57
CF Newbie

If I wanted to get a Nissan Skyline in the USA...

What would I have to do? I saw on ebay they were selling skylines for under $10,000 but I think the cheapest one was in Britian, which I think would make the steering wheel on the other side. Are skylines (or cars with steering wheels on the other side) legal to drive in USA (specifically Chicago, IL)? If not, what could I do to make it legal (and how much would it cost)? How much would it cost to import a car from England to Chicago, IL?

And also, what is a good place that sells body (kits) or engine parts for Nissan Skylines?
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57
What would I have to do? I saw on ebay they were selling skylines for under $10,000 but I think the cheapest one was in Britian, which I think would make the steering wheel on the other side. Are skylines (or cars with steering wheels on the other side) legal to drive in USA (specifically Chicago, IL)? If not, what could I do to make it legal (and how much would it cost)? How much would it cost to import a car from England to Chicago, IL?

And also, what is a good place that sells body (kits) or engine parts for Nissan Skylines?
Skylines were only available with Right Hand Drive...And they are legal in the US, I'd suggest autotrader.ca I've seen some Skylines there for about 10 grand...Can't find any on Autotrader.com though, so I'm not too sure if they're legal in the U.S...but it would be cheaper to get them from Canada...
Old 03-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
elchango36
WWJCD

Before I help you out, help me help you. Do you even have enough money to import a Skyline(it's not as cheap as one thinks)??? Are you some 16yo kid who would think it would be cool to have a Skyline for a first car??

Scratch that last question, I found your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus57
'm 15 (not 16 until July), and I'm planning to buy the car when I'm 18 (because that's when I'll have at least $5000).

Yeah, if that's all your going to have, don't even bother. Be resonable, you'll have $5,000. You'll be 18. Will you even have had enough experience behind the wheel by then?? ~$5,000 in 3 years will buy you a nice 6th gen Civic maybe an Si, or a nice 4th gen Integra like you said in one of your posts. The Skyline is way too powerful for some 18 year old to wrap around a pole somewhere. Open your eyes and see reality. You'll be an 18 y.o w/$5,000. It's not gonna get you your dream car, but you can start building one. How about planning to build a Nissan Silvia, the Skyline's little sister. You could get a nice 240SX in great shape for ~$5,000.

I don't mean to flame, I'm just trying to make you see reality. Sugar coating reality doesn't ever work. If I come off as rude, sorry. I'm just trying to help.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I don't mean to flame, I'm just trying to make you see reality. Sugar coating reality doesn't ever work. If I come off as rude, sorry. I'm just trying to help.
Pus pus
Old 03-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57

right hand drives are legal in the US, but the engine would never pass emission laws, no matter where u live, unless you do some heavy moding. Plus, dont they only run on 94+ octane gas? i dont think 94 or up is sold in the US, dont no for sure though

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
right hand drives are legal in the US, but the engine would never pass emission laws, no matter where u live, unless you do some heavy moding. Plus, dont they only run on 94+ octane gas? i dont think 94 or up is sold in the US, dont no for sure though
Not sure about this, but I'm almost positive that they use different ratings for fuel in Europe/Asia...
Old 03-05-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Wait till 2008 and get together 80k
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

That's the only problem I saw in there, as far as I know they do have left-hand drive Skylines (more uncommon).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 03-05-2006 at 07:47 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
That's the only problem I saw in there, as far as I know they do have left-hand drive Skylines (more uncommon).
Never heard of that...I thought they were only available in Japan/Australia? Where were the left-hand drive ones sold?

Wait, I just did a check on google, and it looks like there is a company that does these conversions...Pretty sweet IMO
Old 03-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89

They can be converted to left hand drive.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
Actually they're supposed to run on +98 octane (so is my civic), seing as how that's the lowest octane rating they get in Japan.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Actually they're supposed to run on +98 octane (so is my civic), seing as how that's the lowest octane rating they get in Japan.

Their rating system is different in Europe in Japan
Old 03-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Their rating system is different in Europe in Japan
Right, but it's the equivalant.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Right, but it's the equivalant.

No, 98 octane to them isnt our 98 octane.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
elchango36
WWJCD

right, but they don't get our equivalent of +93 octane. What I'm trying to say is that gas has higher octane at the pump in Japan than here in the States.

Last edited by elchango36 : 03-05-2006 at 09:09 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote