Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
Guns_10
CF Newbie

94 vr4 vs. 99 gsx

im going to buy a new car.. and im lookin for alot of speed, and nice looks as well.. and im a real big fan of awd turbo's so ive narrowed it down.. its between a 1994 3kgt vr4 and a 1999 eclipse gsx.. plz help me decide.. cuz ive been going back and forth for awile now.. thanks!
Guns_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
ride3k
CF Addict

depends on what you want with the car, more than just speed. If you want to have a car that looks amazing, but isnt the best of the two performing, get the 3kgt, but if you want an all out modding fest and pure performance out of a 4 banger, the gsx is your lover

a quick search turns up niether car for me in the sd area at the moment, but if i recall the gsx is around 5 grand and the vr4 you can find for 6 grand or so, depending on were u live and whose selling/buying em

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!

Last edited by ride3k : 03-05-2006 at 08:28 AM.
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
depends on what you want with the car, more than just speed. If you want to have a car that looks amazing, but isnt the best of the two performing, get the skgt, but if you want an all out modding fest and pure performance out of a 4 banger, the gsx is your lover

Umm, the 3KGT VR4 is almost a second faster in the quarter than a GSX.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
Umm, the 3KGT VR4 is almost a second faster in the quarter than a GSX.

stock, ya, but it is a twin turbo'd v6. With the GSX you can mod it to hell for under 5 grand and get a better quarter

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

Old 03-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
stock, ya, but it is a twin turbo'd v6. With the GSX you can mod it to hell for under 5 grand and get a better quarter

You can mod a 3KGT too....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
You can mod a 3KGT too....

yes, you can, but find as many upgrades for the VR4 as for the GSX, and you sir shall earn a cookie

the abundance of parts for all the 2g DSM eclipse/talon cars is astoudning, and the huge amount means you can find more parts for more power with less money

My 3000GT SL

Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
yes, you can, but find as many upgrades for the VR4 as for the GSX, and you sir shall earn a cookie

the abundance of parts for all the 2g DSM eclipse/talon cars is astoudning, and the huge amount means you can find more parts for more power with less money

You can find the same parts for both cars, but less companies will make the exact same product for the 3kgt than the DSM.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns_10
im going to buy a new car.. and im lookin for alot of speed, and nice looks as well.. and im a real big fan of awd turbo's so ive narrowed it down.. its between a 1994 3kgt vr4 and a 1999 eclipse gsx.. plz help me decide.. cuz ive been going back and forth for awile now.. thanks!

I really am not found of the VR4 because it's just plain heavy and doesnt handle well. I would get a the GSX then do a 6 bolt swap immediately.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 AM   #9
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
You can find the same parts for both cars, but less companies will make the exact same product for the 3kgt than the DSM.

hmm, that dosent have anything to do with the fact that they use diff engines...

face it, the GSX has a much muhc muhc much much better aftermarket backing than the VR4, but you only ever want a 3kgt for it pure awsome good looks =P and not shit, but not race, handeling with decent out of the box punch

My 3000GT SL

Old 03-06-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
Guns_10
CF Newbie

so basically ive gotton most replys that the gsx is the better pick.. basically because there is a better after market.. but the vr4 has a decent after market as well.. and the eclipse is only about 400 lbs lighter.. thats quite a bit, but the vr4 is awd and it will make up for the weight.. in stock form the 3kgt is also about 25mph faster and a full second quicker in the 0-60.. and im alot about the speed.. im looking for a car that i can mod to beat my brothers firebird ws6 wich hits 175 stock.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
so basically ive gotton most replys that the gsx is the better pick.. basically because there is a better after market.. but the vr4 has a decent after market as well.. and the eclipse is only about 400 lbs lighter.. thats quite a bit, but the vr4 is awd and it will make up for the weight.. in stock form the 3kgt is also about 25mph faster and a full second quicker in the 0-60.. and im alot about the speed.. im looking for a car that i can mod to beat my brothers firebird ws6 wich hits 175 stock.
AWD in the 3kGT does NOT make up for the weight difference

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #12
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
hmm, that dosent have anything to do with the fact that they use diff engines...

face it, the GSX has a much muhc muhc much much better aftermarket backing than the VR4, but you only ever want a 3kgt for it pure awsome good looks =P and not shit, but not race, handeling with decent out of the box punch

No shit they use different engines. But you can get the same parts for a 3kgt as you can a GSX. People make heads for GSXs, guess what their are heads for 3000GTs too. Turbo kits? Check. Intakes? Check. It goes on.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 AM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

Top speed shouldn't matter. 1/4 mile and handling is what should matter most.

First off, the GSX is also AWD, so AWD isnt what "makes up the weight difference" from the GSX and 3000GT VR4.

Second, the GSX does handle better in stock form than the much heavier 3000GT VR4, it's even more than 400lbs in weight, more like 500lbs heavier. The GSX is just a much more nimble smaller vehicle. It wouldnt suprise me if a GSX beat a 3000GT VR4 around an auto-x course, even with the power disadvantage.

Third, a WS6 doesnt top out at 175mph stock...They have speed limiters to 161mph tops stock. If you have a chip that removes the limiter you wont go above 165mph because that's when you you must shift into 6th and it doesnt have the power to go much higher unless you have 10 miles of straight road.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #14
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Top speed shouldn't matter. 1/4 mile and handling is what should matter most.

First off, the GSX is also AWD, so AWD isnt what "makes up the weight difference" from the GSX and 3000GT VR4.

Second, the GSX does handle better in stock form than the much heavier 3000GT VR4, it's even more than 400lbs in weight, more like 500lbs heavier. The GSX is just a much more nimble smaller vehicle. It wouldnt suprise me if a GSX beat a 3000GT VR4 around an auto-x course, even with the power disadvantage.

Third, a WS6 doesnt top out at 175mph stock...They have speed limiters to 161mph tops stock. If you have a chip that removes the limiter you wont go above 165mph because that's when you you must shift into 6th and it doesnt have the power to go much higher unless you have 10 miles of straight road.

Thats what I thought about the GSX but wasn't positive.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Guns_10
CF Newbie

handling dosent matter much to me.. i dont race anything besides drag.. on a straight shot 13 mile road behind my house.. and my brothers car hits 174 half way through 6th, stock form, clocked by 4 radar guns.
and i ment that the vr4's awd feature makes up for the weight on the launch.. even with all the weight, im pos itl beat my bros car off the launch.
and i like the gsx more, in all departments except speed, i would lean twards that if i could make it go faster, without and engine swap.. and so far im pretty sure i cant do that without breaking the bank.
in wich the 3kgt looks good, and is much faster for the same price.