Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Luxury Cars....just a little post

First and foremost let me say that the cars I will discuss here are the 2005 Nissan Maxima SL, 2006 Lincoln Zephyr, and the 2006 Hyundai Sonata. If you have no interest in these cars, or dont want to read turn back now.
Now some of you may say that the Hyundai Sonata is not a luxury car compared to the others I listed, or even in its own right, but I will prove otherwise. This analysis will go in a certain order, and then towards the end there will be a comparrison of the 3, and the best bang for the buck. Here goes.
---------------------------------------------------
First up we have the 2005 Nissan Maxima GLE.
FEATURES - 265 horsepower 3.5 liter V6
5-speed automatic or for the more enthusiastic driver the 6-speed manual
Skyview roof
Controversial styling
PERSONAL ANALYSIS - I see these cars quite a bit, and know a few people that have them and they are pretty nice. The rear end styling really appeals to me because it has a muscular feel, however the "nose" on the front doesnt beling. Standard H.I.D. lighting for better vision of the road, standard ABS 4-wheel disk brakes, and 8 airbags, are just some of the "safety" features in this car. I use the word safety in quotes because some may not agree that XENON lighting is a safety feature, but when it comes to driving on the dark highway at night with no cars and having XENON to see further ahead and anticipate the situation better, its as good a safety mechanism as seatbelts themselves. Offering 255 foot pounds of torque at 4400 rpm gives the car some serious pickup whether its avoiding an accident (example of this would be someone about to t-bone you), or just for some plain ol fashioned fun or even a burnout here and there, the car has quite some options. However some may be disappointed to find that the 2005 has a KBB value of $23,500 to $25,500. This might be a small turn-off for some buyers though. Following my small review I am including a few photos of the car inside and out.

The front (tastefull, but not perfect in my eyes)

Inside (very well polished and laid out)

The back (agressive)
Next is the Lincoln Zephyr
FEATURES - 221 horsepower
6-speed automatic with overdrive (something that is a first to my eyes)
Steering wheel mounted A/C controls
PERSONAL ANALYSIS - With its bold new styling the Zephyr makes its way into the luxury car market not only to reach the usual older public, but trying to attract middlge aged buyers as well. With a starting MSRP of just under $29,000 its a close competitor with the Maxima, but doesnt stand out to the younger public (18-40) simply becuase its a Lincoln. I find the style on it great, the ride quality should be what is expected from a Lincoln, and that is nothing but a cruise. With gas milage being on par with the Maxima at 20 mpg city and 28 highway, but featuring less power, its really not as polished overall. Weighing in at 3,406 lbs (just 26 less than the Maxima), it doesnt feature the same power as the Maxima, so I wouldnt expect a very sporty ride; neither from the Maxima nor the Zephyr, but the Max still has better pickup.

Front (futuristic styling)

Inside (this is the old-mans car I was talking about...very bland)
Finally my fav of the group the 2006 Sonata
FEATURES - 235-hp, 3.3-liter V-6
5-speed automatic
Better highway milage than the other 2
Best overall value
PERSONAL ANALYSIS - Its definately the best value of the bunch. Giving good power, but being the heaviest, its on par with the Zyphyr. First when I heard I thought of it as "another piece of **** Hyundai", but when I saw it I was taken by surprise. Offering a 160mph top speed, sleek styling (best of the 3 in my eyes) and a younger image to it than the group, it gets my vote for best buy. 6 standard airbags, ABS brakes, and a very good interior fit and finish, its certainly the better of them all. Time can only tell what the new Sonata will achieve, but I feel it will be good. I am seeing more and more on the street daily.

While some may not agree with me, its just my opinions.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Good read...not sure, did you write that?

Although I disagree with some of the opinions listed there, and I still don't see the Sonata as a luxury car...It looks like an Accord, and from what I've heard, handling isn't that good either
Old 03-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Stupid internet, Double Post
Old 03-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

^^^^^ Sure it is chris lol.

Newyoker why didn't you post the honda accord rather than the Sonata.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Tech_N9ne
CF Enthusiast

check out the view from the Sonata....

Tech_N9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_N9ne
check out the view from the Sonata....
Wait...So the Sonata can fly?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Wait...So the Sonata can fly?

psh, thats why its in there and not the accord, only luxury cars can fly, duh

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
elchango36
WWJCD

Um, the only luxury car up there is the Lincoln, The Maxima is not a luxury car and neither is the Sonata.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior

Newyoker why didn't you post the honda accord rather than the Sonata.

All the car magazines have been saying that the Sonata has replaced the Accord as best family Sedan. Hyundai has been getting really good lately. They still need to work on Kia though...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elch
Um, the only luxury car up there is the Lincoln, The Maxima is not a luxury car and neither is the Sonata
I think newyorkers' ponit was that Hyundai is a budget manufacturer and they've finally produced what, to them, is a luxury car. It sure makes a change from BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar taking the limelight! I think that was newyorkers point myself!....and not one Neon either lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-05-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
All the car magazines have been saying that the Sonata has replaced the Accord as best family Sedan. Hyundai has been getting really good lately. They still need to work on Kia though...

What magazines might that be? I'm know I havent zipped through every test of a Sonata vs. Accord and other family sedans but of the ones I have the Accord was on top in all of them, with usually the Sonata coming in a close second. Some that I talk of is Consumer Reports (1st-Accord, 2nd-Sonata) and Car and Driver (1st-Accord, 2nd-Fusion, 3rd-Sonata). I dont think Motor trend has done a comparison test and cant currently access Road and Track's webpage.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

You're comparing 3 pretty different vehicles, none of which are considered even "entry level luxury cars".

The Maxima is a large car that competes against the Five-Hundred, Avalon and Azera.

The Sonata is a mid-size family sedan that competes against the Camry, Accord, Malibu, Fusion, and other mid-sizers.

The Zephyr is the same thing as a Fusion, just a slighter plusher version of it and would appear to older age groups who tend to buy Lincoln.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think newyorkers' ponit was that Hyundai is a budget manufacturer and they've finally produced what, to them, is a luxury car. It sure makes a change from BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar taking the limelight! I think that was newyorkers point myself!....and not one Neon either lol

The Sonata is no more luxury than the Accord or Camry. It's not considered a luxury vehicle, it's just another mid-sizer. If you can call anything "luxury" in Hyundai's lineup it would be the Azera, which is really is just classified as a large car, like the Maxima and Avalon.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #14
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Those arent really luxury cars (except for the Zephyr), but Hyundai is certainly getting better. I read a article recently in a mag that said that "Hyundai's neighbors to the east (Japan) need to learn something from this" or something along those lines. The only thing that they said Hyundai didnt have going for it was lousy city MPG (I think its like 16 or something).

Congrats on not talking about Neons for once! Rofl...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
The Sonata is no more luxury than the Accord or Camry. It's not considered a luxury vehicle, it's just another mid-sizer. If you can call anything "luxury" in Hyundai's lineup it would be the Azera, which is really is just classified as a large car, like the Maxima and Avalon.
Well the Sonata is as luxurious as Hyundai get over here lol. I know what you're saying, but if you read my previos post again, you'll realise that I actually said that I believe newyorker mentioned the Sonata because it's Hyundai's first real attempt to break into the luxury market. I didn't know they made a larger car, but surely the Sonata is more closely matched to the other two?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote