Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
dman24
CF Newbie

Shitfting problems

I have an 89 cavalier, 6 cylinder, with a manual transmission. I find that it is sometimes very hard to switch gears. I usually have to jam it into it's proper gear. Is there anything I can do to make shifting a little smoother? Could there be an underlying problem that I might be overlooking?
In the morning when it is cold, my speedometer seems to be all over the place. It is constantly jumping up and down and I have no idea how fast I am going. It works fine when I am heading home from work. Any idea as to what the problem might be?
One last thing. My fuel gauge isn't working properly. The tank is close to empty and the gauge still shows a quarter-tank. The needle also jumps everywhere on the gauge when it is running low on fuel. Any suggestions on how I might be able to fix any of these problems?

Thanks!!

Last edited by dman24 : 03-05-2006 at 08:52 PM.
dman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman24
I have an 89 cavalier, 6 cylinder, with a manual transmission. I find that it is sometimes very hard to switch gears. I usually have to jam it into it's proper gear. Is there anything I can do to make shifting a little smoother? Could there be an underlying problem that I might be overlooking?
In the morning when it is cold, my speedometer seems to be all over the place. It is constantly jumping up and down and I have no idea how fast I am going. It works fine when I am heading home from work. Any idea as to what the problem might be?
One last thing. My fuel gauge isn't working properly. The tank is close to empty and the gauge still shows a quarter-tank. The needle also jumps everywhere on the gauge when it is running low on fuel. Any suggestions on how I might be able to fix any of these problems?

Thanks!!

May I suggest the synchros are worn in the transmission? In which case, rebuild or replace....
Old 03-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
carls47807
CF Freak

i have an 85 convertible with the same tranny and problem. i put a rebuilt transmission and slave cylinder on mine and it didn't help at all. is your clutch release point all the way to the floor like mine is? and if so can anybody help us? i've tried bleeding it with no avail.
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:31 PM   #4
dman24
CF Newbie

yes my clutch release point is all way at the bottom. it only seems to happen when the car is really cold. I was told by an ex-GM service manager to try and change the transmission oil and to get it done at GM dealership so that they will use the right oil. He said that that might help the problem.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
proper oil is a must so he wasn't lying to you but it doesnt have to be a dealership, even dealerships can screw up a simple fluid flush job. find a shop you like and trust, maybe you can even talk to the guy whos actually going to do the job. if it's hard shifting into all gears the clutch is the likely suspect, usually if it's just hard shifting into one or two gears i would suspect worn blocking rings in the sychro's, hows the level in the master? so first thing in the morning before you shift into reverse or first try pumping the crap out of the clutch pedal, give it like 25-50 pumps then immediately try to engage a gear, if it seems to shift better you may have air in the hydraulic system, another possibility which is rare but it happens, is the pilot into the crankshaft or flywheel is siezing and is keeping the input shaft spining even when you depress the clutch pedal, or even check the bracket your clutch pedal is hooked to, sometimes the break and you wont get full travel out of your pedal. or like the last girl that was in here, remove the goddamn floor mat from under the pedal. so you have a lot of possibilities, pick one

Last edited by BanffAutoSpa_ap : 03-11-2006 at 07:12 PM.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
maniacmonkey
CF Newbie

I had a problem shifting with my 89 sunbird. It turns out that the motor mount where the slave was connected was starting to bend and break. I could push down on the clutch and it would feel normal but it would just barley disengage the clutch making it hard to shift.
maniacmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
dman24
CF Newbie

Did changing the mount fix the problem? Was it a hard job?
Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
maniacmonkey
CF Newbie

It wasn't hard but it did take a little time, and it did clear my problem up. If you do attempt this make sure to put a jack under that side of the engine. The hardest part was getting the rod from the slave back into the cup on the clutch. It does help when you take the fill cap off of the master. Might also be that the fluid is a little low. Hope this helps.
maniacmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I suggest changing the gearbox oil. As the speedo cable's plugged in to the box too.....at an educated guess, I'd say the two faults might be connected?

As for the fuel guage....possibly the sender unit, which senses how much fuel's in the tank!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
dman24
CF Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys!!!...I'll get the gearbox oil changed this weekend and see if that works. I'm not too concerned about the fuel because I've gotten into the habit of topping it up when it's half-full.

But I will let you know what happens once I change the gearbox oil.

Thanks again.