Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #46
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Hey illusion, how far are you wanting to go to get a car? (like different town, province, state, etc). I actually just found a 1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe for $2000obo on a local forum I'm on, it's got 17 inch wheels on it, automatic and has a 91' front bumper (not sure mileage yet though).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 03-08-2006 at 06:13 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #47
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
YOU LIKE THE WAY IT DROVE. They are the exact same damn car mechanically. They drive the same. And about the look i prefer the LT1 WS6s to almost any other car on the road.

Also whoever said it earlier. The 5.0 mustangs are no longer that good of a performance platform. Sure there is alot o support for them and everything is cheap but When I frequent the 5.0 forums its pretty deppressing. Some of the guys are stroking the motors and only putting like 380hp to the ground. I really dont like the 5.0s because the displacement advantage that the LT1 and SBC has on it. If you plan on going FI then i doubt those 50 cubes will matter as much. If your going for an N/A screamer I would look into the F-bodies. The LT1 shares almost all its parts with the GEN I SBC and everyone knows there is no bigger aftermarket than the one for the SBC.

Then you obviously haven't been to Corral.net Also for the price most people can take a 5.0 and make it faster than a WS6, and or Camaro for half the price. What kind of fast are you talking about with
"only 380rwhp"?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #48
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I do frequent Corral.net but they never activated my account so all I can do is read not repl to anything.
Well I was just saying the 380rwhp for a stroker motor is said. People are making that with no even that a radical stock cube LT1. Or just a bolt on and cam LS1. And then you start stroking those motors and youve got a monster with easily 400rwhp.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #49
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
I do frequent Corral.net but they never activated my account so all I can do is read not repl to anything.
Well I was just saying the 380rwhp for a stroker motor is said. People are making that with no even that a radical stock cube LT1. Or just a bolt on and cam LS1. And then you start stroking those motors and youve got a monster with easily 400rwhp.
IMO a 380rwhp LT1 is pretty "radical". Also I'm pretty sure that a 5.0 stang weighs a lot less than the LT1 F-Bodies, and would probably kill it in the 1/4 and on a road course. Not to mention that it would still cost less. And as far as a bolt on LS1 with heads and a cam, the engine is going to cost almost as much as the whole build for the Mustang. As far as modding bang-for-buck, an LS1 can't even touch the 5.0. This is comimg from an LS1 owner.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #50
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
YOU LIKE THE WAY IT DROVE. They are the exact same damn car mechanically. They drive the same. And about the look i prefer the LT1 WS6s to almost any other car on the road.

Also whoever said it earlier. The 5.0 mustangs are no longer that good of a performance platform. Sure there is alot o support for them and everything is cheap but When I frequent the 5.0 forums its pretty deppressing. Some of the guys are stroking the motors and only putting like 380hp to the ground. I really dont like the 5.0s because the displacement advantage that the LT1 and SBC has on it. If you plan on going FI then i doubt those 50 cubes will matter as much. If your going for an N/A screamer I would look into the F-bodies. The LT1 shares almost all its parts with the GEN I SBC and everyone knows there is no bigger aftermarket than the one for the SBC.

I think you're forgetting something: PRICE.

Cheapest LT1 F-Bodies around are about $4500-$5500.

You can get the later model Foxbodies for $2000 with the 225hp 302. I'd go to bet with that ~$3000 left-over you could easily make a Foxbody WAY QUICKER than a stock LT1 F-Body. Dont get me wrong, I perfer the F-Body over the Foxbody as far as handling/looks go....but the Mustang owns in it in price/performance.

Also just because the stroker motor you say only makes 380rwhp (which is a significant improvement over the stock 190-195rwhp, in fact, nearly doubled) doesnt mean it's bad cost effective. They have 5.0's rolling around with minimal mods and making over 300rwhp (exhuast, heads, intake manifold, pullies).

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #51
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100

You can get the later model Foxbodies for $2000 with the 225hp 302. I'd go to bet with that ~$3000 left-over you could easily make a Foxbody WAY QUICKER than a stock LT1 F-Body. Dont get me wrong, I perfer the F-Body over the Foxbody as far as handling/looks go....but the Mustang owns in it in price/performance.

Also just because the stroker motor you say only makes 380rwhp (which is a significant improvement over the stock 190-195rwhp, in fact, nearly doubled) doesnt mean it's bad cost effective. They have 5.0's rolling around with minimal mods and making over 300rwhp (exhuast, heads, intake manifold, pullies).

You think heads are minimal mods? This same arguement goes on on all the LS1 and LT1 sites. The LT1 guys say buy the LT1 and with the money you save ande beat the LS1. Then you realize you spend all that money on mods and run into a barely modified LS1 car and hes going to rape you.
If it was me I would just buy the better car in the beggining, unless you are absolutely a 5.0 head.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #52
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
IMO a 380rwhp LT1 is pretty "radical". Also I'm pretty sure that a 5.0 stang weighs a lot less than the LT1 F-Bodies, and would probably kill it in the 1/4 and on a road course. Not to mention that it would still cost less. And as far as a bolt on LS1 with heads and a cam, the engine is going to cost almost as much as the whole build for the Mustang. As far as modding bang-for-buck, an LS1 can't even touch the 5.0. This is comimg from an LS1 owner.

There are guys with the lt4 hotcam, which is a heck of a tame cam, making that kind of power and Daily driving it.

About the LS1 build up costing so much I would have to disagree. A buddie of mine has a Z28. He works at sonic barely works and makes shit for pay. He has already done heads and cam and full exhaust, and hes pushing 400 to the wheels. He was very budget minded when he picked out his components and this thing drives and idle like a stocker. It may be more but the small amount of extra money is by far worth it to me.

What is a 5.0 mustangs curb weight?

I guess I just dont like the 5.0s because that naturally aspirated brick wall is a lot lower than that on the LT1s. As in where you get to a point where you cant make anymore power without doing something crazy.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #53
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
There are guys with the lt4 hotcam, which is a heck of a tame cam, making that kind of power and Daily driving it.

About the LS1 build up costing so much I would have to disagree. A buddie of mine has a Z28. He works at sonic barely works and makes shit for pay. He has already done heads and cam and full exhaust, and hes pushing 400 to the wheels. He was very budget minded when he picked out his components and this thing drives and idle like a stocker. It may be more but the small amount of extra money is by far worth it to me.

What is a 5.0 mustangs curb weight?

I guess I just dont like the 5.0s because that naturally aspirated brick wall is a lot lower than that on the LT1s. As in where you get to a point where you cant make anymore power without doing something crazy.
-LS1 Z28 + heads, cam, full exhaust
-estimated cost = $12,000 +
-E.T. = probably high elevens to low twelves

I bet somebody who knew what they were doing could get a stang in that E.T. range for half the cost. Give a Mustang guy a foxbody plus $10,000 and he'll have that thing in the tens. An LS1 buildup wouldn't be too expensive overall, unless you compared it to a 5.0.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #54
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
You think heads are minimal mods? This same arguement goes on on all the LS1 and LT1 sites. The LT1 guys say buy the LT1 and with the money you save ande beat the LS1. Then you realize you spend all that money on mods and run into a barely modified LS1 car and hes going to rape you.
If it was me I would just buy the better car in the beggining, unless you are absolutely a 5.0 head.

When you can pickup good heads and the rest of that stuff for well under the $3000 difference, yeah, it's minimal.

IT all depends on the mods...how about an LT1 with an intake, throttle body, headers, cat-back exhaust and 75hp shot of nitrous. That's good for 375rwhp. Pending what you believe is "lightly modded" (I consider it bolt ons, I/H/E), but that should be more than enough to trash a "lightly modded" LS1 F-Body. That's not too many mods on the LT1 car either. Hell for the price difference between an LS1 F-Body and LT1 F-Body you can easily afford a turbo or supercharger setup, and we all know a turbo'ed or supercharged LT1 will blow away a lightly modded LS1 car. Same goes for the Foxbody 302, you could easily afford a turbo or supercharged setup for the price difference between it and a LT1. Screw stroker kits.

You still forget to mention PRICE. The LT1 Camaro might be a better car than the 302 Mustang, but it costs more than twice as much.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #55
illusion34
CF Addict

wow you guys lost me...
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:15 AM   #56
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100

I've seen them for as low as 3500 around here, and thats in good condition.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:28 AM   #57
illusion34
CF Addict

but does displacement play a huge role? would that mean a 6.6 litre 403 (t/a) would piss all over the 5 litre 302(stang)?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #58
illusion34
CF Addict

im really liking the 86-87 monte carlo ss's right now. do you guys think they can be bought for around 8 g's with t-tops? and are the 86 ss's carb? can anyone find me the specs?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 AM   #59
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
-LS1 Z28 + heads, cam, full exhaust
-estimated cost = $12,000 +
-E.T. = probably high elevens to low twelves

I bet somebody who knew what they were doing could get a stang in that E.T. range for half the cost. Give a Mustang guy a foxbody plus $10,000 and he'll have that thing in the tens. An LS1 buildup wouldn't be too expensive overall, unless you compared it to a 5.0.

12K what are you smoking. My buddies dad has some of the best heads made for the LS1 he got them for 2500 dollars. He probably has 7k into his engine build max and hes running mid 10s.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:35 AM   #60
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
but does displacement play a huge role? would that mean a 6.6 litre 403 (t/a) would piss all over the 5 litre 302(stang)?

Well it would seem two with two simialarly modded cars the TA would win, but thos 403s from the factory where turds. Im sure you could make some mean ass power with them but it take some work to really get the displacement to shine.