Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
pnettle89
CF Newbie

stutter in low gear and accelleration

my 97 ford taurus 24v DOHC has the CEL on. I went to AutoZone and pulled the code P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 Rear. Could a bad O2 sensor cause the engine to run poorly when accellerating and idling. If I accellerate slowly, it wont be noticeable, but if I accellerate normally, it is much more evident. It's almost as if not enough air or fuel or both (intermittently) is being delivered to the engine for optimal performance. Could this be causing my car to stutter when accellerating to highway speed or while idling. Once I am up to speed, everything smooths out.
pnettle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

What is your transmission? Automatic or Standard...Transmissions can cause this to happen sometimes (I've seen it happen)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
pnettle89
CF Newbie

transmission

I have an automatic. A4XN
Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Update On Issue

OK, pulled new code P0305 misfire cylinder 5 and the P0340 code for catalyst below performance threshold bank 2 rear cleared itself automatically. What the heck? Since a misfire dumps fuel into the cat unburned, will that set the cat code to go haywire
Old 03-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Question Codes cleared themselves

OK, got in my car today drove a bit on the highway with the CEL steady. Went to Ford to check a few prices on misc parts. Turned the car back on drove a few miles up the highway with no hesitations or indications of problems and the light went out. This light has been on forever. To double check it was not a burned out bulb, the next time I got in my car I put it in the "on" position and the light is not defective. So I had a cat code, misfire code, egr code and now they are all gone. Still a faint hesitation issue when accellerating hard. Do you think ignition wires culprit? Or EGR backpressure sensor issue? Or maybe even a PCM issue itself?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

hard to tell w/o experiencing it... i think it's blue oval syndrome...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
97Talonchik
discombobulated

FORD= Fix Or Repair Daily
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Thumbs up I can't argue

I can't argue with what you said, but nor can I complain about my car. It has 172,150 original miles on engine and tranny. The ONLY time it was undriveable was when the alternator failed.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

It could possibly be that the spark plug wire was loose, and it got into a position that it connected, I would try checking all of the connectors along with the connecter on the ECU because that sometimes comes loose and creates problems like that...

My Grandpa has a problem where the light kept coming on. Figured it out one day when he slammed the door and the light went off, slammed it again and it came on...so the connecter was getting bumped around and not connecting right. But its also a 1986 Prelude so it will still run fine without the ECU, just uses more gas. But anyway try checking that
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Plug related

I failed to mention yesterday that I mashed down really really good on the connection at the fifth cylinder boot to plug connection and to the ignition coil pack. since then no problems, but not taking chances and will have them all swapped out. There was an issue on this same set of wires where the wires came separated from the boot crimping, had my cousin recrimp. The following is a post I put elsewhere, and am only including the most useful parts

The light and symptons just dissappeared. GONE. Capoot. All codes. What I think was/is happening, is the misfire is dumping unused fuel into the cat (when it occurs) and that is filling up the cat blocking the air flow. When on a highway trip (about 15 miles) that fuel is burning off, and is allowing for the air flow to regenerate and perform within specs (allowing car to run a lot more smoothly), but not enough time/trips to reset the computer DTC. I think that is why when doing short quick trips around town, the fuel never had a chance to burn off during the short trips, still causing the cat to be blocked but not defective. The more I think about this the more I am convinced that the cat code was the symptom and not the problem. EGR will still be an on again off again issue without replacing EGR backpressure sensor (DPFE sensor)
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #11
pnettle89
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Ignition wires

Was wire #5. the connector that seats on top of the plug was forced way up inside the boot and was not always making a connection. swapped with new wires. everything dissapeared and runs great again.