Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
Fane
CF Newbie

Tough Decisions (My measly $5,000)

Hello everyone, thought this would be a great place to seek some advice, so here goes.

I have been working my ass off and finally have about five grand saved up. (The kids that post here with 10,000+ dollars to blow on their first car make me ill.)
Ive been driving for about a year now and really want to buy myself a car for my 18th birthday. I'm having a hard time finding something being that I don't know as much as I would like, so ill list a few things im looking for, and maybe you all can help me. It would be appreciated.

1. I want something fast, something that I can tinker around with to make my own, but this is my first car so I dont want something too fast that I can't handle. I currently drive a 94 Mazda 626, and would really love to feel more power...

2. Looks, obviously are semi-important. Performance first. I'm not into all the fins, and spoilers and lights and crap. To me, all that junk is like looking at a woman who has had her face turned into plastic. Totally unnatural.

3. I'm a tall guy, and my feet and legs don't fit in some cars comfortably. (I drove around a 95 Camaro Coupe for a few days and my feet always got stuck on the pedals and my legs hit the steering wheel, but man was that fun to drive! The engine sounded so sexy compared to little ole 626.)

4. As posted above, $5,000 price max. I live in Washington State, so no convertibles.

5. 20mpg give or take a few is preferable. Two doors...

That is about all I can think of at the moment.
Fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I would have to say LT1 Maro or maybe a V6 for you to start with.

(So Hard to say) Some people on her like to praise the Ford Probe. You may look into that.

Uhm thats about all I can think of. In that price range your probably looking at something FWD and thats really not my cup o' tea.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

MIATA...with a hardtop
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
mx3_monster
im completely sane

how about an older mustang, or a Honda Prelude?

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

Your "measly" $5,000 isn't so measly.
Since you want to build, 3 things come to mind...
94 Acura Integra GSR

89-94 Nissan 240SX

95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

You could pick up any one of these beauties for around $5,000 (man I wish I had $5,000 when I started ). They're 3 completly different vehicles with completely different possibilites. FF, FR, AWD, it's all up to you. 3 different ways of having fun. They're all excellent platforms to build on.

Last edited by elchango36 : 03-07-2006 at 06:31 AM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #6
mx3_monster
im completely sane

mmmmmmmmmmmm....................gsr

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Fane
CF Newbie

To Enthusiast: The Miata sounds like an awesome car, but I just don't know if I would fit in them. I found this post in the stickied Miata thread up top.

Quote:
the problem i have with miatas is, im 6'4" tall, and the dad of a friend of mine had a Miata he sold just 3 weeks ago, and he let me drive it once, and even though it was a sweet ride, i was really uncomfortable. it was a tight fit..... so thats why i still dont really plan on even buying a miata as a project car any time soon, unless i find a way to make some space to stretch.

To elchango36: Those three cars look nice. I especially like the Nissan 240SX though I dont think I have seen any in Craigslist or adds the few months I have been browsing around. Are they pretty rare?

EDIT: I found quite a few on craigslist actually. Is it alright to post Craigslist adds? There is another model on there called the Nissan NX 2000 going for 1500, looks nice.

Last edited by Fane : 03-07-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
ride3k
CF Addict

the 24osx is not to rare, but its not like a civic. Its also one of the better platforms, in my opinon, to start with if you like jdm. Nice car, lil sis to a bunch of nice cars and its rwd.

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Another vote for the 240SX, its RWD.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane
To elchango36: Those three cars look nice. I especially like the Nissan 240SX though I dont think I have seen any in Craigslist or adds the few months I have been browsing around. Are they pretty rare?

EDIT: I found quite a few on craigslist actually. Is it alright to post Craigslist adds? There is another model on there called the Nissan NX 2000 going for 1500, looks nice.
As you found out, it's not that it's rare, it's just that its hard to find one in good condition for under $5,000. It seems that people who have them, don't want to let them go. I was trying to get a 240SX, but they were too damn expensive (my budget was half of yours). The 240SX is the Skyline's baby sister. Don't let her looks or that Ka24DE fool you, they can be made quite fast esp. with an SR20DET swap.
As far as the NX, I don't like it, too small and underpowered (plus FWD).

Anyone want to trade a JDM inspired 94 Honda Civic (JDM B16A swap) for an SR20DET powered 240SX??
Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Taurus SHO. They have a lot of room, and a good amount of power. I also say that if you think you can stand the tight fit, definetely get an LT1 Camaro/Trans Am. I've never been in an LT1, but I know the LS1 has as much room as you will likely see in a sports car, and I'm sure the LT1 isn't much different. How tall are you? My fat 6'1 ass can fit snugly into the LS1, and my size 14 feet have no problem with the pedals. Just don't think of it as uncomfortable or tight, call it "cozy". Eventually I got used to it, and when I drive a regular car I feel kind of awkward.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

5000 is a great budget....i was on the same, but my parents didnt want me getting anytihn stick/sporty. I was offered a mustang GT auto with 89k miles 99 year for 1500 dollars at work, but my dad said no V8 and no RWD for the snow....shit happens. I ended up getting a neon fro 2500 (which I didnt want) but for 2500 I got a 98 with the DOHC engine, nad every option it came with (even the acr alloys) with 62k miles. Ive had it since august, and cant complain with it. FUn to drive, comfy, and better than most cars my firnes got...so its all good. 5000 is a lot of money to go with, so look aroundn ul find something.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
5000 is a great budget....i was on the same, but my parents didnt want me getting anytihn stick/sporty. I was offered a mustang GT auto with 89k miles 99 year for 1500 dollars at work, but my dad said no V8 and no RWD for the snow....shit happens. I ended up getting a neon fro 2500 (which I didnt want) but for 2500 I got a 98 with the DOHC engine, nad every option it came with (even the acr alloys) with 62k miles. Ive had it since august, and cant complain with it. FUn to drive, comfy, and better than most cars my firnes got...so its all good. 5000 is a lot of money to go with, so look aroundn ul find something.

Lol yeah right, kbb on that is what? 6,500$ with no options He offered it to you for 1,500$? Don't lie to noobs newyorker, you couldn't find a straight V6 Mustang for 1,500$ unless you looked very hard.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
Lol yeah right, kbb on that is what? 6,500$ with no options He offered it to you for 1,500$? Don't lie to noobs newyorker, you couldn't find a straight V6 Mustang for 1,500$ unless you looked very hard.
Besides the fact it had a rusted frame, it needed a new suspention, complete engine rebuild, new exhaust, as well as a boatload of other items to make it run.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Besides the fact it had a rusted frame, it needed a new suspention, complete engine rebuild, new exhaust, as well as a boatload of other items to make it run.

It must have had the piss run out of it. Regardless I bet you still could have gotten more than 1500$ for it. How did it have a rusted "frame" though.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote