Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
MetalManiac
CF Newbie

Question How do you drive your automatic?

I know the question sounds pretty stupid, but their are people that just leave it in D and push the accelerator.

There are others who put it in 1 to take off then continue to shift to 2 then to D3 until they reach D4 for a desirable speed.

(Is their a precise moment to shift into 2 then to D3 and so on?)

And their are some people who hear the engine for a precise moment to pump the accelerator to get to a faster speed.

(Is their a precise moment to push down on the accelerator?or do you just have to hear it and feel it?)
MetalManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

ABout shifting the car from 1st then 2nd then 3rd and so on. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. It does you know good as you can not shift faster ,manually, than the transmission can, itself.

As for the rest you kinda confused me but on the few automatic cars Ive driven there is usually a dead spot, where when you smash the gas at a certain speed your going to fast to go down two (or however many) gears and to slow to make the gear your going into really worth it. I guess you could learn where this is and just not rece form that speed.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
MetalManiac
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
ABout shifting the car from 1st then 2nd then 3rd and so on. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. It does you know good as you can not shift faster ,manually, than the transmission can, itself.

yup, I do that too but not all the time.I only do that at a dead stop going into a freeway.

I usually smash the accelerator every 5mph till I reach 30mph once I reach 30mph it's pedal to the metal and I'm going from 30mph to 60mph.
MetalManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

ill do it if i want to shift into second or third at higher rpms and get a higher powerband out of it....

but i also use it in the opposite manner...slowing down on shitty roads...downshifting it and letting it take itself down...
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

me and my friend raced he had a corrola S and I had a regular corrola and he did the shifting thing after we just went normal D, its not much faster. Also the regular toyota will hit the red zone and basically stay there where as the corrola S will hit the high rpm and actually shift to the next gear.