Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Cleaning your engine

OK here is a quick one. Cleaning your car's engine. I used to think the only way was to have it steam cleaned. However its seems that the general public says you can use a hose on it if you have the engine running. (as to not flood it) I was just wondering what others have heard.
Voda48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
karburator
CF Spain HQ

I don't know which is the best way to clean it, but my mechanic told me he prefers filthy engines I don't know the reason, but I've been told that cleaning an engine could be... not good. Personally, I prefer not to clean it.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
OK here is a quick one. Cleaning your car's engine. I used to think the only way was to have it steam cleaned. However its seems that the general public says you can use a hose on it if you have the engine running. (as to not flood it) I was just wondering what others have heard.
Hmmm. I'm not sure what the point of having the engine running is unless.. The idea is they want to take a chance of maybe getting caught up in a moving part and hurt. At any rate, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by cleaning but here's a tip. With the engine not running and slightly warm, not fully warmed up, spray the hell out of it with Purple Power and let it soak in for 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it and don't let it dry. Then spray the hell out of it with a garden hose. Presto, most engines come surprisingly clean with almost no effort. This will not give you a show car detail but is a good cleaning for the average car that's driven everyday.

Just don't, for oyur own safety, clean an engine while it's running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
I don't know which is the best way to clean it, but my mechanic told me he prefers filthy engines I don't know the reason, but I've been told that cleaning an engine could be... not good. Personally, I prefer not to clean it.
Your mechanic sounds like an idiot. Maybe he think it makes him look like a man to be dirty from working. Or maybe he's just an idiot.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
[...]
Your mechanic sounds like an idiot. Maybe he think it makes him look like a man to be dirty from working. Or maybe he's just an idiot.

Well, he's really weird. You would cry if you saw my mechanic's garaje, but he works cheap and fine, after all.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Someone once told me (paraphrased): -
"One of my mates once had his Skyline's engine steam cleaned and it never ran again because the ECU and everything was soaked."

Not my words. Comments?
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
"One of my mates once had his Skyline's engine steam cleaned and it never ran again because the ECU and everything was soaked."

Not my words. Comments?
I like your way of sticking up for yourself snoop lol..

IMHO If a cars ECU is not protected enough so as not to get wet there's a problem, I understand that a steam cleaner sprays water at a high pressure but that really aint the point, the Skyline is a performance car and should be better protected..What happens if for arguments sake your travelling (stupidly) at 130mph in the rain? water would be everywhere lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #7
Kottonmouth
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite

Not my words. Comments?

Hmm..... unless the steam soaked through the firewall into the dash, behind the passengers side kick panels, I'd say someone was wrong. In my experience, General motors is the only major manufacturer that still places the ECU under the hood, rather than inside of the cab, protected from the elements.
Kottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottonmouth
Hmm..... unless the steam soaked through the firewall into the dash, behind the passengers side kick panels, I'd say someone was wrong. In my experience, General motors is the only major manufacturer that still places the ECU under the hood, rather than inside of the cab, protected from the elements.
I've only ever known ECU's to be under the bonnet, although that was on slightly older cars rather than newer cars, but still mid '90's models.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-25-2004 at 01:50 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #9
Pieface
CF Newbie

quick lesson

When cleaning your engine cover all sensors...
Otherwise there is a good chance especially on ford's that a sensor will get water in it and go bad!!!

Covering the DIS coil shouldn't be a big deal as long as the spark plug wire is securely on.
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote