Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Question Speaker Sensitivity Measurement

Ok, im looking for good speakers for reasonable prices. Im not sure what the db sensitivity means, i know its measured 1w@1m but is higher db better, or just louder? My speakers are rated @ 90db-6.5" and 85.7db-subs. I dont realy know what this means except that the higher the db the more expensive the speaker(generaly). I recently bought some off brand tweeters rated at 100db 1w/1m, they sound pretty good but were only 20$ were the Kicker tweets are ~92db and more than 200$. I am massively confused about this and would appreciate any help yall can give.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
Ok, im looking for good speakers for reasonable prices. Im not sure what the db sensitivity means, i know its measured 1w@1m but is higher db better, or just louder? My speakers are rated @ 90db-6.5" and 85.7db-subs. I dont realy know what this means except that the higher the db the more expensive the speaker(generaly). I recently bought some off brand tweeters rated at 100db 1w/1m, they sound pretty good but were only 20$ were the Kicker tweets are ~92db and more than 200$. I am massively confused about this and would appreciate any help yall can give.

You're right and wrong, sensitivity has nothing to do with the price of the speaker, in fact the Orion H2 is one of the most expensive mass market subs on the market ($700 list for 12" model) but only has a sensitivity of 83.1dB. Which is rather low for a sub...

The Sensitivity (or efficency) is important because it determines roughly how loud your speaker can be when given a certain amount of power compared to other speakers.

In theory it takes TWICE the amount of power to have the same loudness as a speaker with 3dB higher sensitivity. So for a 86dB sensitivity speaker to be as loud as a 89 dB sensitivity if the 89dB speaker was power by 300 watts, it would take 600 watts.

Now this isnt an exact science at all since every speaker is different from one another (material of the cone, spider, excursion, voice coil(s) size etc...). But it can be a good indication.

Sometime if you want to just run aftermarket speakers off a head unit's amp (usually 15-20rms per channel) you want to find very efficent speakers...

So say you want you want to get some good 5.25" speakers to run off your HU's power.

These 5.25" Rockfords have a sensitivity of only 89dB...
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCHPC2205

These 5.25" Infinity Kappa's have a sensitivity of 94dB...
http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFKAPPA527I

In theory the Infinity's would be louder if both speakers (Rockford and Infinity) were attached to the same HU source power.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Thanks, that helps abit. But what about with subs? The new Kicker CVX 15 is 92.3 db, so would it then be louder than the same Wrated similar sub? I know enough to know that DVC's are always louder(though i dont understand why), but this is kind of a loss for me
I just forgot what i was talking about...
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
Thanks, that helps abit. But what about with subs? The new Kicker CVX 15 is 92.3 db, so would it then be louder than the same Wrated similar sub? I know enough to know that DVC's are always louder(though i dont understand why), but this is kind of a loss for me
I just forgot what i was talking about...

DVC subs have no advantage over SVC subs except for one thing, more wiring options.

Voice coil SIZE typically matters though.

What sub are you trying to compare the CVX too?
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Comparing to the MTX's subs. MTX is a very well known manufacturer and has been doing audio for a long time. Im not sure what my point is in this thread anymore...i just need to find some 6.5" mids (component or coaxle, either way) for <200$. Ive got some Wal-Mart specials up front, and a pair of old Pioneer coaxles in back w/ some pretty good tweeters--the rear spkrs are runing off a 2chnl. amp and the front off the HU.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
Comparing to the MTX's subs. MTX is a very well known manufacturer and has been doing audio for a long time. Im not sure what my point is in this thread anymore...i just need to find some 6.5" mids (component or coaxle, either way) for <200$. Ive got some Wal-Mart specials up front, and a pair of old Pioneer coaxles in back w/ some pretty good tweeters--the rear spkrs are runing off a 2chnl. amp and the front off the HU.

In a truck like that you should only worry about front speakers. Spend the money on a good set of components for the front and put them on that amp.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=28&cur=USD

^^^
Those are great components.

Which MTX subs? MTX makes a ton of different subs... from this...



To this...



MTX isn't that hot anymore, they make some very nice amps (thanks to Xtant) and some decent high end woofers but they are VERY expensive.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
My tuck has bucket seats, thats why ive been putting spkrs in the rear. Those componets look nice too, ive been looking at the new Kicker Marine 6"--~92db sensitivity, plus they look good too. My HU only has a single rear preamp output, thats why ive been all my nicer stuff in back. Overall my sound is pretty nice(to my ears), i just need to replace my walmart speakers up front--after two years they finnaly blew. For your reference the walmart stuff is out of that cheapo stereo box they have for RV's and boats--2 6.5's and 2 3" tweeters, funny thing is that the speakers and tweets only work with each other--wierd impedence values or somthin.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
My tuck has bucket seats, thats why ive been putting spkrs in the rear. Those componets look nice too, ive been looking at the new Kicker Marine 6"--~92db sensitivity, plus they look good too. My HU only has a single rear preamp output, thats why ive been all my nicer stuff in back. Overall my sound is pretty nice(to my ears), i just need to replace my walmart speakers up front--after two years they finnaly blew. For your reference the walmart stuff is out of that cheapo stereo box they have for RV's and boats--2 6.5's and 2 3" tweeters, funny thing is that the speakers and tweets only work with each other--wierd impedence values or somthin.

You should only ever be worried about a front stage. Front stage is where it's at, rear speakers are worthless.

I would get a new HU if I was you, one with Front and Sub pre-outs. These types of HU's can be gotten for pretty cheap...for instance...

- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3341
- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2799
- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3501
- http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1231

You can look at other brands than Kicker you know. Kicker doesn't make all that great stuff.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Thanks, those HU's are tempting me right now. I just like Kicker, im from Oklahoma, ya know the whole 'home grown' stuff. And Kicker does make some pretty awsome stuff, especialy amplifiers. I have a 04 KX600.1 running my 2 '05 CVR 10" and itl run all day as hard as you could want, its never gotten hot. Plus Kicker stuff looks realy good together, Pheonix Gold and Rockford Fosgate have pretty good subs and amps--but they look like somthing my dog brought home. Pioneer is my alternate prefered brand.
...Do you know Pyramid Car Audio? They are fairly cheap and have a large selection of amps, subs, tweets, and eletronics (i wouldnt recomend the coaxles or components). http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/
Also, should i upgrade my power suply (battery and alternator) to get the most from my amp? The amp is rated at 600w @2ohm &14.4v. The certificut on the box says it was tested at 754w Max. I realy like Kicker because ive talked to abunch of people about brands before i buy, they all say Kicker never lies about power and they rarely have trouble (unlike Sony).
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
Thanks, those HU's are tempting me right now. I just like Kicker, im from Oklahoma, ya know the whole 'home grown' stuff. And Kicker does make some pretty awsome stuff, especialy amplifiers. I have a 04 KX600.1 running my 2 '05 CVR 10" and itl run all day as hard as you could want, its never gotten hot. Plus Kicker stuff looks realy good together, Pheonix Gold and Rockford Fosgate have pretty good subs and amps--but they look like somthing my dog brought home. Pioneer is my alternate prefered brand.
...Do you know Pyramid Car Audio? They are fairly cheap and have a large selection of amps, subs, tweets, and eletronics (i wouldnt recomend the coaxles or components). http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/
Also, should i upgrade my power suply (battery and alternator) to get the most from my amp? The amp is rated at 600w @2ohm &14.4v. The certificut on the box says it was tested at 754w Max. I realy like Kicker because ive talked to abunch of people about brands before i buy, they all say Kicker never lies about power and they rarely have trouble (unlike Sony).


No doubt Kicker makes good amps, but they aren't worth the price IMO.

PG mkes better amps (Xenon line) as does RF (Power line) but neither company including Kicker makes that great of speakers or subs.

Pyramid is just a junk brand, like Pyle or Legacy.

I never buy mainstream brand stuff because there is better out there. The biggest "mainstream" I pretty much buy is Panasonic HU's. I had a few Alpine amps and they were wonderful, but I'm getting better stuff.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #11
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
I have these speakers
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3841 w/ these tweeters http://www.chronicaudio.com/Speakers.html#5
running off this amp
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3827
in back, between my seats. Their sitting level with my head and im fairly happy with the sound from them. My front speakers are in the doors, down by my feet, im not sure what i can do as far as a dfferent front stage set-up. Maybe i could put some MB spkrs. in the doors, or some 6x9's? And put some good tweeters up on the dash?
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
I have these speakers
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3841 w/ these tweeters http://www.chronicaudio.com/Speakers.html#5
running off this amp
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3827
in back, between my seats. Their sitting level with my head and im fairly happy with the sound from them. My front speakers are in the doors, down by my feet, im not sure what i can do as far as a dfferent front stage set-up. Maybe i could put some MB spkrs. in the doors, or some 6x9's? And put some good tweeters up on the dash?

6.5 mids in the doors and tweets on the A-pillars.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo
 
windsonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Down Below
Posts: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
You should only ever be worried about a front stage. Front stage is where it's at, rear speakers are worthless.
...why?
__________________
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
windsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
...why?

Do you drive from the back seat? No.

Do you want a lot of sound coming from behind you? No.

That's why front stage is important and rear speakers are unimportant. Ask any car audio enthusist. They will all say the same. Most people run (who are serious about car audio) cheap rear coax speakers off the HU's power but have an amped component front stage...rear speakers dont matter. You want the highs and mids coming from the front, not the back.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #15
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
I dont know about that man. I think maybe its a matter of oppinion where the better spkrs are. I know many audiofiles who put the best stuff where it will fit and where it can be seen. Why buy the cool looking high end 6x9's when (generaly) the only place to put them is in the rear. Naw, i think ill buy some good weather resistant coaxels for the doors, cause they're gonna take alot of abuse w/ moisture and physical shock, and ill match them with some good tweeters that i can position where i want. Thanks for the advice and for showing my some great examples at good prices, but i think im gonna have to build my system for me.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.