Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #1
WombRaider
CF Newbie

1991 Corsica with intermittant loud put-putting exhaust

Ok, I have a 1991 Corsica with 70,000 miles that doesn't owe me a dime. It has a 2.2 engine, TBI. About 2 years ago I put in a new exhaust from the cat back. I will try my best to describe an intermittant noise that rumbles thru the exhaust, like a loud high pitched fast put-putting. (I think thats it!) the noise comes and goes at idle or while running. when the noise is not present, it is quiet. Then the noise kicks in and as i have listened closely, it's not muffler related. (That was wrong) It almost seems as if is from the engine, but could it be cat related? I'm thinking engine since it is intermittant, not continuous. Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by WombRaider : 03-15-2006 at 06:55 PM.
WombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

my 90 corsica had the same problem, turned out to be the muffler bearing. advanced or auto zone should have them in stock. hope this helps

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
WombRaider
CF Newbie

Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
maniacmonkey
CF Newbie

it sound like what I had on my sunbird. It was the gasket on the down pipe out of the engine. Appolo muffler and brake tried to tell me I needed a whole new system and it would cost $400 so I took it to another guy and it only cost $50 parts and labor.
maniacmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
WombRaider
CF Newbie

Solved.
Well, it was simple, apparently a small portion of the baffle in the muffler is a bit loose, and moves when it wants to, mostly when cold. The muffler is intact with no obvious signs of exterior rot, it's clean. I started the car, listened, then got under the car, grabbed the muffler, and controlled the noise.