Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
shamoo
CF Newbie

17, first car, need to learn

Hey guys, I'm 17, almost 18 (few months) and just got my first car. 2003 Honda Accord EX 4-Cylinder Sedan. Don't plan on racing or anything but I want to learn about cars and mods and maybe one day modify my car or get a car that is worth modding.
shamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Shift4
CF Newbie

every car has 4 wheels except for some special cars that have two wheels! I think these are called cycer motles or something like that. . . Oh, and all cars have engines and "transtitions" with geers in them. . . Thats about all I know!

, no rle, thats good that you want to learn more about cars. . . The V6 accord would have been better for modding but you may want to consider a nice new exhaust system and a cold air intake (replaces the stock air filter). . . New wheels and tires are good if you want it to look better. . . You have to be a tad more specific with what you want to know. . .
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

To learn about cars, I'd suggest howstuffworks.com...and for mods, depends on your budget.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo
Hey guys, I'm 17, almost 18 (few months) and just got my first car. 2003 Honda Accord EX 4-Cylinder Sedan. Don't plan on racing or anything but I want to learn about cars and mods and maybe one day modify my car or get a car that is worth modding.
An EX 4-door 4-banger seems like an odd car to get for modding, unless it's just what you can get your hands on. Seeing as it's an '03, I kinda doubt that's the case. If you like the import bolt-on ricey deal, and you like the car you have now, then you could make it work I suppose...but something like a mid-late 90's Civic would probably be alot cheaper, easier, and perhaps have more potential. Basically, any car is worth modding(well most any car), especially if you like it. So keep your EX for a while, if you find out it's a great car for you, keep it and do w/e to it.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
every car has 4 wheels except for some special cars that have two wheels! I think these are called cycer motles or something like that. . . Oh, and all cars have engines and "transtitions" with geers in them. . . Thats about all I know!

, no rle, thats good that you want to learn more about cars. . . The V6 accord would have been better for modding but you may want to consider a nice new exhaust system and a cold air intake (replaces the stock air filter). . . New wheels and tires are good if you want it to look better. . . You have to be a tad more specific with what you want to know. . .
Actually you need to be a tad more mature with replies
1. WTF
2. Transmissions
3. Gears
4. Really
5. CAI replaces not the filter, but the whole airbox assembly, and in a lot of cases relocated the filter away from the engine for less heat. What YOU are talking about is called a drop-in filter
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Shift4, please dont' respond to Newyorker's ignorance, the rest of know you're kidding. It was somewhat immature, but we don't need an argument over it.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 03-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Shift4, please dont' respond to Newyorker's ignorance, the rest of know you're kidding. It was somewhat immature, but we don't need an argument over it.
Oo i didnt see the sarcasm there
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift4
every car has 4 wheels
I'll correct you on this one as I believe you're being serious lol....what about the trusty, plastic, Reliant Robin?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
shamoo
CF Newbie

my parents bought the car for me, i didnt really have any say but im not complaining.

right now i have a shitty job, once i get a better one/more money and know what im doing ill think about modding it. Basically I just want to know if anyone can recommend any sites that can tell me about what you can do to your car, what to add to make it faster/more powerful, etc.

I know nothing right now so anything would help.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo
my parents bought the car for me, i didnt really have any say but im not complaining.

right now i have a shitty job, once i get a better one/more money and know what im doing ill think about modding it. Basically I just want to know if anyone can recommend any sites that can tell me about what you can do to your car, what to add to make it faster/more powerful, etc.

I know nothing right now so anything would help.
Not sure about any sites, but I'd reccommend getting "Car Hacks & Mods For Dummies" by David Vespremi...It's got tons of information on that stuff :2cetns:
Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #11
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Maybe it wasn't there

shamoo-If you don't particularly like the car, you could trade it down to something older that might be a bit more interesting to mod, if that's ok with your parents.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
shamoo
CF Newbie

i cant, its in my dads name but its mine.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Maybe it wasn't there

shamoo-If you don't particularly like the car, you could trade it down to something older that might be a bit more interesting to mod, if that's ok with your parents.
It's a good car, and can be modded pretty good, why would he change it?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:54 AM   #14
shamoo
CF Newbie

I think with this car, once i read up on stuff, ill just make it look better and a little more powerful and then maybe i'll get a different car in the future for high performance stuff. did i mention its an automatic?
Old 03-12-2006, 04:59 AM   #15
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It's a good car, and can be modded pretty good, why would he change it?
Surely there's something better he could trade down to. An older Accord V6, for example.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV