Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
Kottonmouth
CF Newbie

Talking Stupidity - PAY UP!

So i'm at work today, and the service manager sets me up to work on an '03 Trailblazer. The customer comment column simply reads - will not run, have no idea why, rattle in drivers door. A quick battery check reveals 12.6 Volts. On a hunch... or rather just because it was my first job of the morning and I wasn't quite fully awake I decided to grab a scantool, rig it up and check for any diagnostic codes..... and after what seems like forever, still no response from the vehicles computer. Confused I quickly grab a senior tech from the bay beside me, he sets up his scan tool gets a message ECU unresponsive and quickly deduces the ECU is no good.

I phone the customer for some additional info, turns out his * no idea why * was actually, "well I tried boosting my sons car a few times because it was dead, and after that it wouldn't start" . He is not impressed to learn that his ECU needs to be replaced and GMC is not flipping the 1600 dollar bill because warranty doesn't cover extreme stupidity. The circuit protection in this unit means that the customer would've had to have left the jumper cables on the wrong posts for quite some time.. or have taken them off and put them back on a few times before the ECU would actually cook the way it did.

He's back at the shop a half an hour later, completely irate, demanding to talk to the service manager as well as myself . I had a 15 minute sit through of BS listening to this guy piss and moan while i'm trying to make money on a flat rate job, and when I asked him who taught him to boost cars he replies with, "Noone did! Everyone knows red goes to black, black to red, negative to pos.. and so forth" I can't help but grin which boils him up even more.

"WELL DID YOU ATLEAST FIND OUT WHAT THE ^@#$@^@#$% PROBLEM WITH THE DOOR IS"

".... yes sir, you left some dentistry tools in the door pocket, which caused the rattling sound you heard"

*** Have you ever wondered why your local friendly automotive service technician isn't always quite so 'friendly'? Sadly its because things like this really aren't as rare as you might think.***

Please leave me a few humorous tales of your own.
Kottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
enron fever
CF Addict

oh man that's classic. i am a strong believer in contraception for stupid people.
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac

At collage we have a 4 post car lift, and directly above it are some air pipes. Being the well set up place that it is ( ) you have to be careful not to lift the car too high or else it will touch them. So in comes one boy, puts his car onto the ramps and lifts it right to the top ignoring the "interesting" noises that are occuring. Well, these pipes being filled with compressed air began to leak more and more untill Mr Moron realises exactly what he has done.. Left an nice dent in his car roof too.. You may ask the reason i didn't stop him? I was told this by an onlooker.. What a mucking fuppet...

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
At collage we have a 4 post car lift, and directly above it are some air pipes. Being the well set up place that it is ( ) you have to be careful not to lift the car too high or else it will touch them. So in comes one boy, puts his car onto the ramps and lifts it right to the top ignoring the "interesting" noises that are occuring. Well, these pipes being filled with compressed air began to leak more and more untill Mr Moron realises exactly what he has done.. Left an nice dent in his car roof too.. You may ask the reason i didn't stop him? I was told this by an onlooker.. What a mucking fuppet...
lol...When I worked at the garage one of the apprentices lifted a 3 year old Vauxhall Astra up on a two poster ramp with the boot open (the ramp was just inside the door btw), only trouble was, the boot knocked the entrance to the workshop as it went up and not only dented the bootlid itself but left a nasty white scratch from the wall...Once on the floor the boot wouldn't close so I had to get in it and physically push it out with my feet, it still wasn't a perfect fit but nevermind, as for the scratch...a bit of elbow grease and a cloth fixed that!

Has anyone ever had the old "Sinse you fixed my wipers my exhaust has begun to blow" or something of a similar nature before?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote