Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #1
bobdaman17
CF Newbie

1987 Ford Mustang GT

What do you guys think about this car? I see one listed for $2200 with 99k miles. 225 hp for 2200 seems decent to me, ur opinions?
bobdaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Sounds pretty reasonable, but are there any problems with it? (ie visible stuff like rust scratches, etc. and does she run good?)...
Old 03-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
bobdaman17
CF Newbie

Theres a small dent in the fender, but nothing major. No rust, looks ok, i've only seen pictures. Its in the city, i might go to check it out. Any idea on how many miles these things usually get? im thinking around 115, right?

Also, supposedly it runs fine
bobdaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Make sure you drive her, and everything runs fine (maybe a CarFax report)...According to KBB average is 96000 miles...
Old 03-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

There's a crappy little 87' 4cyl Mustang for sale near me. Guy wants $350 (etested, not cert) with 218,000KM lol.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
There's a crappy little 87' 4cyl Mustang for sale near me. Guy wants $350 (etested, not cert) with 218,000KM lol.
The 1987 was available with an I4? lol
Old 03-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
The 1987 was available with an I4? lol
I guess so lol.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Make sure you drive her, and everything runs fine (maybe a CarFax report)...According to KBB average is 96000 miles...

That is not the average Chris, you should have known this by now with me always talking about Mustangs. KBB is also not accurate at all in their pricing of one.

To answer your question get a carfax report on the car, then go and inspect it thoroughly and test drive it. Chances are the car has more around 200k miles on it because it is priced so cheaply. And did you say you thiink these cars only go up to 115? Were you talking about mileage or top speed? Because you are VERY if you were referring to either. These cars are some of the best for their prices, but you are either getting an amazing deal or a 199k car for 200 which is STILL a decent deal.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
That is not the average Chris, you should have known this by now with me always talking about Mustangs. KBB is also not accurate at all in their pricing of one.

To answer your question get a carfax report on the car, then go and inspect it thoroughly and test drive it. Chances are the car has more around 200k miles on it because it is priced so cheaply. And did you say you thiink these cars only go up to 115? Were you talking about mileage or top speed? Because you are VERY if you were referring to either. These cars are some of the best for their prices, but you are either getting an amazing deal or a 199k car for 200 which is STILL a decent deal.
I was saying you know how to price a car on KBB you have to enter a number for mileage?...It was 96K there, but they can sure as hell last longer than that...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
I was saying you know how to price a car on KBB you have to enter a number for mileage?...It was 96K there, but they can sure as hell last longer than that...

You were saying according to kbb the average is 96k and I was saying that you know by now that it is way off. Hence why I wonder why you even said that, any car after a certain number of years the average is only 96k, go look it up.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 03-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
You were saying according to kbb the average is 96k and I was saying that you know by now that it is way off. Hence why I wonder why you even said that, any car after a certain number of years the average is only 96k, go look it up.
Oh, gotcha lol...actually, now that you've mentioned it, I have only seen it go up to 96K lol
Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh, gotcha lol...actually, now that you've mentioned it, I have only seen it go up to 96K lol

:-p I know, any more than 96k is over the average

Old 03-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Yeah, either it's got 199k miles on it, or it's beat to hell. A 5.0 car can have a lot of issues and still run "fine". I wouldn't be suprised if the interior was beat up and the trans/rear were fragged. Is it an AOD or 5-speed?

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote