Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
dude
CF Newbie

SpeedoMeter Replacement

Hey All -

I have a VW Jetta96... i want to replace my speedometer... i am getting a used speedometer from a junk yard... and trying to replace it...

1. How do I set the Odometer reading to the present Odometer reading... Will the guys sells it will do it or the mechanic whom I approach it shd do ..or Shd I find some one to do it??

2. How big process is it to get it replaced..i know u have to remove ur Dash n then replace it ... is it very big process... or its kind of a process that can be done ...

thanks for ur time

mail me at jetta96@gmail.com
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude
Hey All -

I have a VW Jetta96... i want to replace my speedometer... i am getting a used speedometer from a junk yard... and trying to replace it...

1. How do I set the Odometer reading to the present Odometer reading... Will the guys sells it will do it or the mechanic whom I approach it shd do ..or Shd I find some one to do it??

2. How big process is it to get it replaced..i know u have to remove ur Dash n then replace it ... is it very big process... or its kind of a process that can be done ...

thanks for ur time

mail me at jetta96@gmail.com
1. Using a screw driver....I think lol. Just take off the plastic casing and move the digits around? I've never done it, but that seems pretty self explanitary to me....you could always know a few miles off her too....but that's not advisery hehe

2. If your Jetta has an Air Bag, I dont recommend you do it yourself as if this deploys, you could suffer a broken neck....and then you wont be driving anywhere again lol. If you are feeling in a daring mood, however, just disconnect the battery, leave for an hour of so, and carry on. I know this will stop the air bag deploying on some vehicles....but not too sure about yours. I'd contact VW first if I was you!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

What I forgot to ask was, is it a digital reading? I know it's unlikely on that year, but it has been known. If so, you'll have problems adjusting the transfering the mileage I believe!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
dude
CF Newbie

o..o... It is a digital Odometer
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

One thing, if you change the odometer reading no matter what it is, you will get a huge fine if the police find out...this is illegal to do, you must instead just show the difference in mileage on paper
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
In many states, there is a standard affidavit for this documentation. You are absoutely correct - tampering with a car's odometer is illegal in the U.S.
Only if you get caught...

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Only if you get caught...

That is just a dumb comment...it is illegal no matter what, you just don't get CHARGED or FINED unless you are caught. Whether you are caught or not doesn't make it legal and illegal...

i.e. is speeding any less illegal if you aren't caught? or is breaking into a house legal if you are not caught?
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
That is just a dumb comment...it is illegal no matter what, you just don't get CHARGED or FINED unless you are caught. Whether you are caught or not doesn't make it legal and illegal...

i.e. is speeding any less illegal if you aren't caught? or is breaking into a house legal if you are not caught?
I would have said the same thing....but I'm sure we all know that he means it's extreamly hard to get caught doing this...I spose lol