Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
BrokenThings
CF Newbie

Wierd Noise in Cadallic

Hello, I drive a 1978 Cadillac El Dorado. Everything runs great, and it only has 132,000 miles on it. My grandfather gave it to me before he died, anyway I love the car, it's my baby. Today I went to drive it and it was making some strange noises. When I depress the break petal it makes kind of a grinding noise, or whining noise, or both. I'm not sure if I need new breaks or my drums rotated, but I guess it would make sense, execpt for the whining noise when I accelerate, I have no idea what would cause that.

If you have any suggestions, or comments to either problem, please leave them...I thank you in advance.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

It's possible it is your brakes. Take off the wheel and have a look at your rotor. Do you see massive grooves in it? How do the pads look?

The whining when you accelerate could be the sound of the metal from your brake pad scraping against the rotor...if it's that far gone. It's possible they can turn the rotor but if it's warped, pitted or past a certain width requirement, they will most likely suggest you get new ones.

Dangit, I just looked at the year of your car...forget what I said above, lol. That would apply to a newer car.

I'm not sure if your car has drums on the front, but I would assume the same or similar would apply. If the shoes are completely worn, that would cause the grinding noise and possible also explain the noise while accelerating. Drum brakes are a pain in the butt to change, btw.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
more than likely, this car has discs on the front and rear
An American that says "Discs"? lol.

The whining on accelaration could be your Gearbox!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
BrokenThings
CF Newbie

I think I fixed it, for now. i realized that there is a leak in my powerstearing line, I put some of that in along with some sealant and the noise went away. It doesnt make it when I start it, when I break, or when I turn. That makes sense right? My breaks still queal but the grinding/whining noise stopped.

Thank you again for the comments.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
BrokenThings
CF Newbie

Does this sound right? Just looking for one piece of feed back.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenThings
Does this sound right? Just looking for one piece of feed back.
One piece of feedback?

1. In over thirty years repairing cars professionally, I have never seen a car with a "break petal". Must be some kind of a real heavy flower.

2. I definately suggest you get your "drums rotated". You might however have trouble finding a shop to do it.

3. It's apparent from your questions and your terminology that while well intentioned, you know little about cars. Your best bet would be to have a qualified technician look at it now. Noises and leaks, while if left unattended can turn into expensive repairs, are seldom dangerous. Brakes on the other hand are perhaps the most important safety item on your car and any potential problem with them should not be taken lighty. Better to spend a small amount of money for a competently performed brake inspection than to kill yourself or someone else while trying to guess what the problem is.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote