Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
thermo
CF Newbie

My first car is a long way off...but still

Would a 94-01 Acura Integra LS (automatic) be a good first car? Or would a 92-96 Honda Prelude Si be better (in performance, low maintenance and all)?

I might get a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z instead if I can find a good deal on it, but I don't know much about cars, so I'll need you guy's help.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

yea, it would be a good car.

the prelude... i wouldn't say it would be better for maintence (slightly better in preformance, but not much)

either of those two would be fine first cars though.

the irocz though, it's a 16 year old car, if you find one that's been well maintained, it could be fine... but i would caution you that it may be more prone to have something go wrong.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermo
Would a 94-01 Acura Integra LS (automatic) be a good first car? Or would a 92-96 Honda Prelude Si be better (in performance, low maintenance and all)?

I might get a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z instead if I can find a good deal on it, but I don't know much about cars, so I'll need you guy's help.
integra definately good first car. i got it 4 months ago for my 1st car and i love it...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
OombaIsBack
Banned

Out of those I'd probably take the Prelude. No love for 3rd gens here, and Prelude is probably the only Honda I really care for.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Vlad
CF Addict

The prelude and integra are good first cars, excpet the only problem I see is that with the teg you'll be wishing you had the GSR and with the lude you'll be wishing you had the prelude VTEC model. Keep in mind aftermarket parts are more readily available for the integra if you plan on modifying it.

I also like the IROC-Z camaros, but don't have much first hand experience with them so couldn't tell you much, hell...i don't even know how much power it has lol.

Quote:
Out of those I'd probably take the Prelude. No love for 3rd gens here, and Prelude is probably the only Honda I really care for.

why don't you care for the s2000 then? Its a honda, and totally owns the prelude in every aspect (except room).
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
thermo
CF Newbie

The Prelude Si has larger engine (2.4L 160 hp I4) than the VTEC (2.2L 190 hp I4 ), and more torque, but less horsepower . The main reason I am looking at those cars is because I want a car with an automatic trasmission (I don't want to have too many operations to perform while driving to reduce the risk of getting in an accident). I was also thinking about an Eclipse GST or GSX, but those are more expensive.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
thermo
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
The prelude and integra are good first cars, excpet the only problem I see is that with the teg you'll be wishing you had the GSR and with the lude you'll be wishing you had the prelude VTEC model. I want an automatic for my first car and neither of those are available with an automatic. Keep in mind aftermarket parts are more readily available for the integra if you plan on modifying it. Yeah I hope to.

I also like the IROC-Z camaros, but don't have much first hand experience with them so couldn't tell you much, hell...i don't even know how much power it has lol. It has a 5.0L 205 hp V8 if that is what you mean.
The stuff I replied is in red.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Vlad
CF Addict

No dude you're tripping. The prelude Si has a 2.3L, not a 2.4L. You wont notice the .1L increase torque wise. You will however, notice the extra 30 horses and VTEC. The VTEC is a much better car than the Si all around.

I am 99% sure the 4th gen prelude VTEC also comes in automatic, at least the 5th gens did, but those trannys have problems. .

What is your price range that you can't get a GSX/GST? Also talon TSi's seem to be cheaper for some reason, but are the same car as the eclipse.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:34 AM   #9
thermo
CF Newbie

Quote:
No dude you're tripping. The prelude Si has a 2.3L, not a 2.4L. Here is a link to the engine stats: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...d e&trimid=-1 I don't know, maybe MSN doesn't have accurate stats but there it is anyway. You wont notice the .1L increase torque wise. You will however, notice the extra 30 horses and VTEC. The VTEC is a much better car than the Si all around.

I am 99% sure the 4th gen prelude VTEC also comes in automatic, at least the 5th gens did, but those trannys have problems. I looked and couldn't find any 1992-1996 Prelude VTECs with automatics...maybe I just missed something.

What is your price range that you can't get a GSX/GST? Also talon TSi's seem to be cheaper for some reason, but are the same car as the eclipse. I probably won't want to spend more than $10k on a car, and I'll want to drive it for a good number of years (unless it is more trouble than it is worth lol) so I'll need lower miles (under 75k preferably). But I might get an Eclipse or Talon if I can find a good deal (AND ONCE I HAVE MONEY )
. . .
Old 03-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #10
Vlad
CF Addict

Huh, interesting msn link. I have always heard 2.3L. I believe they share the accord engine, and my buddy had a 4 banger accord and its a 2.3L.

And anyways heres another link that says 2.3L :

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/h...relude/1996/si

But the point I was making was that any torque increase from the slightly larger displacement will be next to nothing, while the hp increase from the H22
is a tremendous improvement. I checked and it looks like the VTECs do only come in manual, so you were right. But if I were you I'd get it in manual anyways, it's not that difficult, and much more fun.

I would think that you WOULD be able to get GSX/GST/TSi for under 10k. My friend got a 96 TSi for $2,700 with 125k miles. But then he spun out and hit a porsche...but thats a different story

kbb on a 97 GSX with 75k on it is 7,275 for excellent condition.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
OombaIsBack
Banned

You can find GSXs for $10k. And honestly, manual isnt hard to learn. It takes maybe 1 hour to get it down good and forever to perfect it. But for all out performance, like drag racing level, automatics are much better.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermo
. . .

The PRelude VTEC was H22 2.2L and Prelude SI was H23 2.3L.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 AM   #13
Vlad
CF Addict

Quote:
The PRelude VTEC was H22 2.2L and Prelude SI was H23 2.3L.

Yeah, thats what I was saying...apparently msn doesn't know what they're talking about, because they DO have it listed as a 2.4L.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:

why don't you care for the s2000 then? Its a honda, and totally owns the prelude in every aspect (except room).

I dont know, I just dont
Old 03-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
thermo
CF Newbie

Oh ok so it was just a problem with MSN. And how is an automatic better in areas like drag racing (not on a slope of course)?