Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Fane
CF Newbie

1993 Eclipse GS Turbocharger Questions

I know you all get alot of these, but I have been having trouble finding information, so here I am! I just recently bought a cheap 1993 Eclipse GS auto with low miles, and would like to install a Turbocharger. This is the stock dohc I4 2l engine. Should I swap out the engine, or will this one work good with a Turbocharger? Being that I have never done something like this before, should I try to find a kit?

I know the GSX includes a stock turbocharger so this should be possible. Any good online stores to purchase the parts? Any help would be much appreciated...

Last edited by Fane : 03-14-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Ok, so you want to make your non-turbo car a turbo right? Just to let you know there's more involved in converting than just throwing in a turbocharger. I've told people before, if you've got the money and the patience, go for it. To me, I think it would be cheaper to just buy the GSX.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
Fane
CF Newbie

Yes, I understand that. That is why I asked if a kit would be better...
It really is not a big deal to me, I might not install a turbo, it depends if I find one and have the time to learn to install it. I understand it would be cheaper to have bought the GSX, but that is not what I am asking here. I just need to know where to look for a turbo kit that would fit my vehicle. What brands out there are the best? I have not had much luck on Ebay or my local junkyards.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

It not just throw on a turbo kit either. On a stock engine you can run maybe 5PSI MAX. In order to run an aftermarket turbo you would need to tear apart the engine and replace the rods and pistons, and add gaskets that can handle the extra pressure. Stock rods will most likely break under the strain and the stock pistons would generate way too much compression (Stock is usually around 11:1 while Turbo ones are around 9-9.5:1) Gaskets will just blow out and no longer seal
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane
I just need to know where to look for a turbo kit that would fit my vehicle.

Here's a start...click

Have a nice day
Old 03-15-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

From my friends at dsmtuners.com (note this is for a manual tranny):
I am not posting this whole thread. Note you most likely have the 4G63 engine already. The mods might see this as "advertising" so the link may disappear.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48231
Old 03-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
Fane
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Here's a start...click

Have a nice day

Funny. Merely asking if anyone around here uses an online store or anywhere else that they have had success with, who might happen to stock the parts I need. You see, looking on google is different than asking here. Google doesent know **** about what I am asking, and some of you people do!

Yes, I have googled and know what I want to do with my car now, and thank you for that link Talonchik, that was actually extremely helpful and something that I would not have found should you have all said "google it".
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
97Talonchik
discombobulated

No problem, I actually get asked about non-turbo (Talon, Eclipse, Laser) to Turbo quite often. Apparently its pretty popular, lol.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

I have a 91 Laser and was looking into putting the factory turbo setup on in it. So heres the parts to do it, 14b mitsubishi turbo, turbo exhaust manifold, turbo ECU, turbo tranny,complete turbo exhaust, intercooler, intercooler piping, and last but not least a 4g63T because nonturbo 4g63's run 9.5 to 1 c/r while the turbo 4g63 runs 8.5 to 1 c/r. So I hope that help you understand that buying a GSX would be cheaper than the swap.