Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
tikrapt
CF Newbie

antifreeze

just noticed a green puddle under my car today... antifreeze. filled it a little to the top so i could drive the car and thats where i stand. cars a 97 dodge avenger es. obviously this is a problem... water pump? any help would be great... by the way i know very little about engines/cars/how they work so this would be a pay someone else project...any clue how much this is gonna cost?? thanks

also... ive noticed that if i turn the rear window defroster on and its cold and the car isnt warmed up theres a loud high pitched sound...sounds like some kind of belt or something... no clue at all... suggestions.

also... cars approacing 100k miles... what kind of things should i be doing to it to make it last longer/work better?? i've been told to get the tranny fluid changed and get the radiator flushed (which i guess i dont have a choice if i need a new water pump), anything else??? thanks again

thanks a lot guys... any help would be great.
tikrapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #2
tikrapt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
make sure the routine maintenance and tune-up items called for in the owners manual are up to date

i would..... but there is no manual... guy i bought it from didnt have it... what kind of things are in there??
tikrapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

From my experience, the most common thing that causes antifreeze leaks are bad hoses. It sounds like it might be about time to replace all your old coolant hoses. Of course, they probably wouldn't account for the whine. I'm not entirely sure about that.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
97Talonchik
discombobulated

A manual proves to be a very useful item. Wouldn't hurt to purchase one for future reference.
I've separated these by milage intrevals for you. I did not duplicate items across the board for each mileage marker as that seemed redundant to me. I think this is pretty self-explanitory though.
S/I= Service/Inspect, R=Replace, A=Adjust, L=Lubricate

Every 7500 miles: Engine oil (R), Oil filter (R), exhaust system (S/I), Brake lines and hoses (S/I), CV joints & suspension component boots & seals (S/I), Tire rotation, Coolant level (hoses & clamps as well) [S/I], Manual Transaxle fluid level (S/I)

Every 15000: Accessory belt (A)

Every 22500: Disc brake pads/brake shoe linings (S/I)

Every 30000: Transmission fluid (automatic) and filter (R), Front and rear upper control arm ball joints (L), Air filter (R), Spark plugs (R), Engine coolant (R)

Every 60000: Accessory belt (R), PCV Valve (S/I), Spark Plug Wires (R)

105000 Miles: Timing Belt (R)

This is for the Breeze, Cirrus, Stratus, and Sebring Convertable. I'll put yours below.

Last edited by 97Talonchik : 03-16-2006 at 01:44 AM.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

All that typing and it wasn't the right one, lol. I'm posting a pic in a moment.
http://h1.ripway.com/parkerlily/CF/0900823d801ec9f8.gif

Last edited by 97Talonchik : 03-16-2006 at 01:48 AM.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikrapt
just noticed a green puddle under my car today... antifreeze. filled it a little to the top so i could drive the car and thats where i stand. cars a 97 dodge avenger es. obviously this is a problem... water pump? any help would be great... by the way i know very little about engines/cars/how they work so this would be a pay someone else project...any clue how much this is gonna cost?? thanks

also... ive noticed that if i turn the rear window defroster on and its cold and the car isnt warmed up theres a loud high pitched sound...sounds like some kind of belt or something... no clue at all... suggestions.

also... cars approacing 100k miles... what kind of things should i be doing to it to make it last longer/work better?? i've been told to get the tranny fluid changed and get the radiator flushed (which i guess i dont have a choice if i need a new water pump), anything else??? thanks again

thanks a lot guys... any help would be great.
If it's clearly losing alot of water/antifreeze, the best and probably most obvious thing to do would be to run the car, and have a look for any water dripping from anywhere. Pay particular attention to the water pump, it'll be located end of the engine (same place as the cambelt & Alternator belt).

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote