Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
tikrapt
CF Newbie

12-16 mpg???

have a 96 dodge avenger es (6cyl) and im getting about 12-16 mpg... i know its a big engine and all... but 12-16mph??? whats that? could this be a problem somewhere or is it really that bad? thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
OombaIsBack
Banned

That is pretty bad. Thats about what I average, and I'm running super rich with bad plugs and wires.

PS- Theres a possible fix right there
Old 03-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #3
tikrapt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
That is pretty bad. Thats about what I average, and I'm running super rich with bad plugs and wires.

PS- Theres a possible fix right there

anything you can think of?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikrapt
He said plugs and wires...is your air filter clean?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Have you looked at your driving habits? Are you hard on the gas and hard on the brakes? The harder you are on the gas and brakes will lower your mileage.

Anyway, a quick Google search on ("1996 Avenger" gas mileage ) pulls up a bunch of hits and it looks like some mention areas to look at.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
tikrapt
CF Newbie

just replaced air filter a few weeks ago. thanks again
Old 03-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
have a 96 dodge avenger es (6cyl) and im getting about 12-16 mpg... i know its a big engine and all... but 12-16mph??? whats that? could this be a problem somewhere or is it really that bad? thanks
Your potential choices here a pretty limited.

1. You're flogging the car mercilessly, letting it warm up when cold, idling in drive thrus, etc. I don't know what you consider a big engine but the biggest that car comes with is a medium sized V6.

2. It is possible that you have a genuine problem with the vehicle, but you would have obvious drivability issues, probably an illuminated MIL and a plume of black smoke following you around.

3. This one is my guess. You're not calculating your mileage correctly. No matter what kind of vehicle, a 25% fluctuation in fuel consumption is huge and almost unheard of. Me thinks you better look closely at your procedure or learn how to use an adding machine.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 03-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Not sure if this will help, as we work in litres alot of the time where fuel's concerned......but I'll just explain how I calculate MPG. Approximately atleast

Fill the car up from as empty as possible. Bear in mind that there is roughly 4.5litres in a gallon. Once you've filled the car up, divide the amount of litres into gallons (so 60 litres would be 13.33 gallons approx.). Then run the car as low as is safely possible, and say for example you return 400miles to the tank, your approximate MPG will be 30mpg! (400 divided by 13.33). That's the method I use, and it appears reasonably acurate...I'd only recomend using it if you know hown much fuel you're roughly using, as ya wouldn't wanna run out lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-18-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Not sure if this will help, as we work in litres alot of the time where fuel's conderned......but I'll just explain how I calculate MPG. Approximately atleast

Fill the car up from as empty as possible. Bear in mind that there is roughly 4.5litres in a gallon. Once you've filled the car up, divide the amount of litres into gallons (so 60 litres would be 13.33 gallons approx.). Then run the car as low as is safely possible, and say for example you return 400miles to the tank, your approximate MPG will be 30mpg! (400 divided by 13.33). That's the method I use, and it appears reasonably acurate...I'd only recomend using it if you know hown much fuel you're roughly using, as ya wouldn't wanna run out lol
But 4.535 Litres is a British gallon, an American gallon is 3.78 Litres...But I'm not sure how Americans would find out how many litres they've put in
Old 03-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
But 4.535 Litres is a British gallon, an American gallon is 3.78 Litres...But I'm not sure how Americans would find out how many litres they've put in
lol...that's one of the things I was confused about.....I think it's the same principal though. Just convert your measurements into gallons I guess....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Not sure if this will help, as we work in litres alot of the time where fuel's concerned......but I'll just explain how I calculate MPG. Approximately atleast

That is an extremely inaccurate way of determining fuel consumption, not to mention the potential for running yourself out of gas. Additionally, doing it that way only gets you a snapshot from one tankfull instead of a good overall avaerage.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
That is an extremely inaccurate way of determining fuel consumption, not to mention the potential for running yourself out of gas. Additionally, doing it that way only gets you a snapshot from one tankfull instead of a good overall avaerage.
I know it's not the most acurate way of working out fuel consumption, but surely it's one of the only ways to do it? lol

Old 03-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Gee, 19.6 litres/100km. My LS1 is 12.8 l/100km averaged over 90,000 km (I never reset the trip computer from new) so I can understand your concern.

Checked your air filter lately? Carried out a tuneup?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
TokyoJoe
CF Newbie

Another thing you could always check is the MAF sensor. Just spray some electronics parts cleaner on it to clean it, you don't want to physically touch it. Also depending on miles your 02 sensor may be going out and your PCM is flogging your cylinders with fuel. Or you may have just found the absolute shittiest shit shit mixture of winter gas.

But yeah, how are you actually averaging your MPG??? Does the avenger have a D.I.C. with a readout of fuel econonmy? Pen and paper?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoJoe
Another thing you could always check is the MAF sensor. Just spray some electronics parts cleaner on it to clean it, you don't want to physically touch it. Also depending on miles your 02 sensor may be going out and your PCM is flogging your cylinders with fuel. Or you may have just found the absolute shittiest shit shit mixture of winter gas.

But yeah, how are you actually averaging your MPG??? Does the avenger have a D.I.C. with a readout of fuel econonmy? Pen and paper?
Moron. You don't get it, do you. If the car had an engine management issue that was causing it to get that poor of fuel mileage, the MIL would be illuminated, codes would be set and there would be black smoke following it everywhere. Think, type, submit.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the 2.5 is not a MAF engine but rather a MAP engine, as most Chrysler products are. Once more bad piece of "information" from your keyboard.

Last edited by vwhobo : 03-19-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Closed Thread