Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Gasoline

Is it true that the gasoline in the wintertime has a a differnt mixture than in the summertime and hinders gas milage? I heard this and dont know if its true or just a myth...I dont remember my car getitng such milage in the summer (maybe because I didnt track)
Thanks
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Is it true that the gasoline in the wintertime has a a differnt mixture than in the summertime and hinders gas milage? I heard this and dont know if its true or just a myth...I dont remember my car getitng such milage in the summer (maybe because I didnt track)
Thanks
It certainly is true, if the companies mix it differently in the summer and wintertime.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
It certainly is true, if the companies mix it differently in the summer and wintertime.
So this really CAN cause a drop in gas milage? As significant as 5+ MPG?

Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:
So this really CAN cause a drop in gas milage? As significant as 5+ MPG?

ok, he said that if the companies change how they mix it, it might be diff mixtures, u will not get different gas milage b/c it stays the same octane lvl, the octane dosent just dissapear and make your engine suddenly run worse

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
OombaIsBack
Banned

I hope to god it lowers gas mileage. I'm averaging 14 mpg shifting at 2000 rpm.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride3k
ok, he said that if the companies change how they mix it, it might be diff mixtures, u will not get different gas milage b/c it stays the same octane lvl, the octane dosent just dissapear and make your engine suddenly run worse
Yes, but some mechanics have told me that my car gets around 18 in the wintertime but with SUMMER GAS it should hit up to 25MPG...I just heard this a few times nad wanted to know if its really true or not

Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack

I'm averaging around 15 all highway miles, not floored much at all but maybe twice or so a tank, although I am having problems going through emissions os once I get it back hopefully mroe around 20 or so, also I am checking the compression ratio in it as that may have a hand in it as well as the 02 sensors and the other emissions shit.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #8
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias

I'm averaging around 15 all highway miles, not floored much at all but maybe twice or so a tank, although I am having problems going through emissions os once I get it back hopefully mroe around 20 or so, also I am checking the compression ratio in it as that may have a hand in it as well as the 02 sensors and the other emissions shit.

Yeah emissions are a bitch. I never got the problem fixed, but I did spend $300 so I was able to get a 2 year waiver. Sad thing is, I have 200 compression on all cylinders. However I think the stock FPR in my car cant handle what the Walbro is putting out and my plugs and wires are of unknown age. But my little 152ci engine shouldnt be getting this bad of gas mileage, and I use 93 octane!
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Yea...time will tell

Old 03-15-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Yeah emissions are a bitch. I never got the problem fixed, but I did spend $300 so I was able to get a 2 year waiver. Sad thing is, I have 200 compression on all cylinders. However I think the stock FPR in my car cant handle what the Walbro is putting out and my plugs and wires are of unknown age. But my little 152ci engine shouldnt be getting this bad of gas mileage, and I use 93 octane!
I got a 3-speed auto with no overdrive that can explain my problem maybe...im still hoping that its winter gas screwing me like this.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

I use 87, once I bump up my timming I will use 93 octane. As for a tune up i have done this for 390$... New Plugs Wires Fueld Filter PCV Valve, throttle body cleaned and injectors flushed and cleaned. Ford Racing wires and some nice Autolites. I smell gas when I start the car up though and it is mostly bone-stock so I figure 400$ mroe into emissions things and I should bump up the gas mielage and not have to worry about emissions next time. Why I don't want a waiver is how will that help my 14-15mpg mileage? It won't I need to fix the problem now, especially if I plan to go from 2.73 gears to around 3.55. I'll get like 11 then and really be ****ed so yeah. Of course like I said possibly boring or a whole new block (306) eventually but eventually is far away so yeah.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 03-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
I use 87, once I bump up my timming I will use 93 octane. As for a tune up i have done this for 390$... New Plugs Wires Fueld Filter PCV Valve, throttle body cleaned and injectors flushed and cleaned. Ford Racing wires and some nice Autolites. I smell gas when I start the car up though and it is mostly bone-stock so I figure 400$ mroe into emissions things and I should bump up the gas mielage and not have to worry about emissions next time. Why I don't want a waiver is how will that help my 14-15mpg mileage? It won't I need to fix the problem now, especially if I plan to go from 2.73 gears to around 3.55. I'll get like 11 then and really be ****ed so yeah. Of course like I said possibly boring or a whole new block (306) eventually but eventually is far away so yeah.
For beter milage swap a d15 in there LMAO...youll be lucky if you can outrun me with that thing tho

Old 03-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #13
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
For beter milage swap a d15 in there LMAO...youll be lucky if you can outrun me with that thing tho

All I can say is what? I can outrun you no problem my friend Gas mileage doesn't always go hadn in hand with performance, trust me I have screwed around with some Talons, Civics, and of course Neons, and your sport isn't worth shit against my car, even if it is 17 years old and stock. :-p btw yes I have raced a sport.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #14
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
yea i have dropped considerably too

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #15
ride3k
CF Addict

there is no differenc in the gas, its all about conditions in which you drive. Did you think that maybe manufacturers are making cruder and cruder gas as well, seeing as how with the problems with the pipelines durin katrina, they moved to a cheaper process of producing more gas, so it is cruder and cruder.

i dont know how much sense that makes, but they dont change it for summer or winter, i know that for a fact, cost them way to much. but rember, we are in the middle of friggen gas crisis

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote