Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
Bad gas mpg on comet

Driving my comet lately I have been achiecing horrible gas mileage. 8-10 mpg.
And i noticed my exahust tip is completely covered in this black film along with the area around the exhaust. This means incomplete combustion. College chem paying off right there.
What could be causing this residue and my bad mpg?
__________________
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Driving my comet lately I have been achiecing horrible gas mileage. 8-10 mpg.
And i noticed my exahust tip is completely covered in this black film along with the area around the exhaust. This means incomplete combustion. College chem paying off right there.
What could be causing this residue and my bad mpg?
It's running rich sweetie. Let's see if your "college chem" classes can get you an answer for that.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
Vlad
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 278
Too much fuel being dumped into the cylinders than needed?
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It's running rich sweetie. Let's see if your "college chem" classes can get you an answer for that.

Sometimes your a big jackass hobo but Its funny when you do it.
So im running more fuel than air in my mixture. How do i decrease that?
__________________
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
Sometimes your a big jackass hobo but Its funny when you do it.
So im running more fuel than air in my mixture. How do i decrease that?
I'll take adjust the carburetor for $100, Bob.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
but what do I do with the carbuerator?
__________________
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
but what do I do with the carbuerator?

...adjust it. One of three three adjusting screws is the low speed fuel adjustment. This is the adjustment that controls the proportion of fuel to air you get. It can be adjusted, probably a DIY thing. If you need any more information, this site should cover it:

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm

Warning: Never worked with carburators before to be honest so I'd let hobo check what I just said to be sure.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.