Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Is my mechanic ripping me off?

I just picked up ther breeze from the mechanic and I spent 700 having my fuel pump and filter replaced.
Now i know part of the fees were the tow truck and storage fees cause i had to leave it there like 2 weeks to have enough to pay for it.

But lower ball joints need to be replaced, and he wants 700 to replace both the control arms... does this sound like the right price? cause I know I can pick up control arms for 130 each, and have the job done my self for just a couple hundred bucks, but the problem is im not that great a mechanic and itd probably take me 8 hours just to do one.

Advice guys?
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User
 
nighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: -
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
I just picked up ther breeze from the mechanic and I spent 700 having my fuel pump and filter replaced.
Now i know part of the fees were the tow truck and storage fees cause i had to leave it there like 2 weeks to have enough to pay for it.

But lower ball joints need to be replaced, and he wants 700 to replace both the control arms... does this sound like the right price? cause I know I can pick up control arms for 130 each, and have the job done my self for just a couple hundred bucks, but the problem is im not that great a mechanic and itd probably take me 8 hours just to do one.

Advice guys?


well im 15 and have never dealt with a garage mechanic etc,

but to me, 700 dollars for a fuel pump and fuel filter replacement sounds like a little bit too much

thats just what I think...
__________________

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
well im 15 and have never dealt with a garage mechanic etc,

but to me, 700 dollars for a fuel pump and fuel filter replacement sounds like a little bit too much

thats just what I think...
fuel pump was only 500... most of that was a 75 buck towing fee and 125 in storage fees.
The 500 included fuel pump, fuel filter, and labor.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
nighthawk
Part Time Active User
 
nighthawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: -
Posts: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
fuel pump was only 500... most of that was a 75 buck towing fee and 125 in storage fees.
The 500 included fuel pump, fuel filter, and labor.

you werent being ripped off,

but those parts are a bit expensive,
someone really smart should post and help you out
g2g 2 school now, lol
__________________

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
It depends alot, on how long the fuel pump etc took to fit. if you took say, 2hrs labour off that $500 you'll probably be looking at closer to $300 for the parts, probably $250 for the pump....still sounds maybe a bit too steep, but it's been put into proportion a bit now!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Fuel pumps are quite expensive. I know we just replaced one in my Ranger and it cost me 110 bucks (I get discounts cause Im a mechanic ) but it would've gone for close to 250 for a customer. Not to mention the 30 minutes it took me to drop the gas tank alone (I hate rust!). I probably replaced the actual pump in less than 5-10 minutes but getting the tank back up, connecting the wires and hoses, putting the tank straps back on, and the heat sheild (Which I just said **** it), it takes a while to do. The filter on the other hand, is a driveway job. I've done so many and seen filters that were so clogged, when the gas came out of the out side, it was black. I get control arms for my Pontiac for about 45 each with replacement bushings. And that's not my cost. Lower ball joints, well, can't say I've done enough of those to know what they cost ballpark.
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Well depending how long you're willing to wait for an answer, I could possibly find out at my Coop placement, but that wouldn't be till monday...
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 03-17-2006 at 12:17 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Welldepending how long you're willing to wait for an answer, I could possibly find out at my Coop placement, but that wouldn't be till monday...

oh ya take your time... i dotn plan on fixing the control arms for a week or so anyway.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
oh ya take your time... i dotn plan on fixing the control arms for a week or so anyway.
Alright, I don't think it'll make a difference that I'm in Canada lol.
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra
 
Inygknok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,863
i still find $250 for a fuel pump way too expensive..... and it shouldnt take that long to swap it out.
__________________


Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
What about the control arms guys?
Ive already paid for the fuel pump so it doesnt matter bitching about over paying for it now... I have control over who I take it to for the contol arms... so thats whats important.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.