Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

Pulley Noise?

1999 Grand Am GT 3.4L V6 Coupe

My car has developed a "SHH SHHH SHHH" sound that can only be heard when idling. It doesnt squeak or anything, its like rubbing or a quiet scraping sound. Its forsure coming from the passenger side, by the power steering fluid refill. I am pretty sure its the large pulley in the center...Idler pulley?

Anyways Is it ok to take some Grease and spray it in there with a straw? or just replace the pulley? is that expensive? I would prefer to grease it if that wont cause any damage...

I live in a Very Cold Climate...so maybe that has something to do with it. It also seem to start after I went through the Carwash.

Also, just for notes, I replaced the belt 1 year ago with a Gator Back Belt and also installed a new Powersteering Pump.

Thanks in advance
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

You could try greasing it, as this would tell you if it is indeed this part that is on its way out. Greasing is only really a temperary measure though. If it's that worn, it'll not get any better, you'll just be masking the noise it makes!

Spray it and see if it's deffinately this part at fault, if not, it could be the Alternator Bearing

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-16-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Idler pulleys are generally not large pulleys. they're typically smaller pulleys connected to pretty much nothing but the engine. I know 3400 engines pretty well, but I don't think I've ever worked on one with that problem. Sorry.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

ok guys, thats awesome, Thanks!

One more question...I have "Sea Foam Deep Creep" It says its a Lubricant, and its so effective they use it on siezed engines etc.... blah blah...

Does anyone have any expirence using this stuff? Can I use it as a lubricant on pulleys??? Also, when I go to Grease it, I use the straw and stick it in the joint as close as I can and spray small amounts while the engine is on??? is that about right?

Thanks again in advance!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Seafoam (as far as know) is an injector cleaner. Helps clean out the carbon and whatnot that gets left on the injector and helps you pass emissions. Pour a couple cans in the gas tank and it'll clear the injectors up.

For your pulleys, I would simply use some WD-40, or Zep lube or something like that. Spray can with the little straw. Spray it where the pulley meets the engine and on the middle of the pulley that faces away from the engine (by the bolt that holds it on). If that doesn't make the sound go away, turn the engine off, take the belt off, and check the pulleys by hand and see if they spin easily (obviously your crank pulley won't spin, but check the others). If you find one that spins hard, spray that one too.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Could try 'white grease' dunno of it's availablity over there, but over here we use it alot and it's great stuff. I find WD40 as more of a penetrating oil, used to free up rusty parts etc. It might work well in this situation, but on previous occasions that I've used it like this it tends to have effect for only a few minutes. As I said, if the part's worn, grease will only be a temperary measure!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

if its a pulley, what are the general costs in replacing one? is it major work? If its the altenator bearing does that mean replacing the entire altenator? if so thats good because mine is only 1 year old and is still under warrenty
Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrickk
if its a pulley, what are the general costs in replacing one? is it major work? If its the altenator bearing does that mean replacing the entire altenator? if so thats good because mine is only 1 year old and is still under warrenty
If the Alternator is only a year old, it's probably ok. But yes, you'll need a new one if it is at fault!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Pipa
Banned

Thanks for your great site!

Thanks for your great site!
<Links Removed>
buy car online, car crash test

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-17-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Pipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

Get your advertising bullshit out of here, this is a thread on repairs, not your crappy car site.