Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
tikrapt
CF Newbie

oops

well i got in an accident today... happens to all of us right (please say yes). a few things... firstly, only damage appears to be that my hood is kind of folded and I cant open the hood. anyone know how i might get it open? also, whats the best (cheapest) way to get a new hood... choices look like buy a new one the right color, buy a new unpainted one and get it painted the right color, or get one at a junkyard and paint it the right color.

second part... i rearended a guy and basically im convined my brakes failed. no damage to his car.,... just my hood. i pressed slowly on the brakes as you normally would to stop and then i pressed harder until the pedal was down all the way and i wasnt stopping. i drove for about a half hour after the accident because it was drivable and i had to go home and the brakes worked fine after the accident. is it possible that they might have just failed that one time? i got rotors and pads replaced about 3 weeks ago so its not because theyre old. basically im looking to throw the blame somewhere else but brand new brakes, going about 25mph when i put the pedal to the floor with 15 or 20 yards to the next car... i think i shouldve easily stopped. so basically i want to know if this could have been a mechanical malfunction or something. thanks guys and answers would be great!

oh yeah (this might make a difference in my claim) not bad weather conditions, nice sunny day, no water on the road, and there were no skidmarks which is why im thinking the brakes just didnt work. oh and is there any way to prove they didnt work or that something went wrong???(other than what i claim happened and use of physics using the information i claimed)THANKS
tikrapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikrapt
well i got in an accident today... happens to all of us right (please say yes). a few things... firstly, only damage appears to be that my hood is kind of folded and I cant open the hood. anyone know how i might get it open? also, whats the best (cheapest) way to get a new hood... choices look like buy a new one the right color, buy a new unpainted one and get it painted the right color, or get one at a junkyard and paint it the right color.

second part... i rearended a guy and basically im convined my brakes failed. no damage to his car.,... just my hood. i pressed slowly on the brakes as you normally would to stop and then i pressed harder until the pedal was down all the way and i wasnt stopping. i drove for about a half hour after the accident because it was drivable and i had to go home and the brakes worked fine after the accident. is it possible that they might have just failed that one time? i got rotors and pads replaced about 3 weeks ago so its not because theyre old. basically im looking to throw the blame somewhere else but brand new brakes, going about 25mph when i put the pedal to the floor with 15 or 20 yards to the next car... i think i shouldve easily stopped. so basically i want to know if this could have been a mechanical malfunction or something. thanks guys and answers would be great!

oh yeah (this might make a difference in my claim) not bad weather conditions, nice sunny day, no water on the road, and there were no skidmarks which is why im thinking the brakes just didnt work. oh and is there any way to prove they didnt work or that something went wrong???(other than what i claim happened and use of physics using the information i claimed)THANKS
Okay, depending on the car you have, a hood will be cheap from a breakers yard, and reasonably easy to fit too! As for the brake problem. Had you been using the brakes aggresively prior to the accident? as this would eventually cause them to fade as the brake fluid gets too hot, it would also cause the peddle to sink, as you describe. The only way to prove that the brakes failed would be to test the brake fluid, any decent gargae will have the device to do this! To be honest, you're gonna have a tough time persuading the Police/Insurance companies that your brakes failed, as the first thing they're gonna think when they realise there's no skid marks, is that you lapsed consentration or fell asleep or something!

But that's the only thing I can think of as to what's wrong with the brakes, if they were ok before the accident...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
FISHSTYX
CF Newbie

sounds like u just need to bleed the brakes. if any air is in the line the pedal will sink quite a ways. or your master cylinder is shot.
FISHSTYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHSTYX
sounds like u just need to bleed the brakes. if any air is in the line the pedal will sink quite a ways. or your master cylinder is shot.
Really? So I suppose you want us to belive that somehow air mysteriously entered his hydraulic system causing the crash, and then the system self bled immediately afterwords. Air in the system is always there until you bleed it out and according to him the brakes work fine now. A bypassing master cylinder could possibly cause these symptoms.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
tikrapt
CF Newbie

firstly... i dont need to persuade police or insurance people because we agreed not to report the accident... im looking to find the garage that did my brakes less then a month ago at fault and see what theyre gonna do. brakes had no previous problems and are about 3 weeks old (as are the rotots). so what do i do now... take it back and ask them to check the brakes and if something is wrong they'll let me know???
Old 03-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
firstly... i dont need to persuade police or insurance people because we agreed not to report the accident... im looking to find the garage that did my brakes less then a month ago at fault and see what theyre gonna do. brakes had no previous problems and are about 3 weeks old (as are the rotots). so what do i do now... take it back and ask them to check the brakes and if something is wrong they'll let me know???

Take it back, but don't mention the accident, or it will put them against the wall and get them defensive quickly. Just mention that at times it seems like your brakes are not working properly(describe how the pedal sinks to the floor and it doesn't seem to slow it down, so on so forth). Any good shop would at that point take a look at it for free...

One question though....why didn't you use your e-brake?
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
tikrapt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Take it back, but don't mention the accident, or it will put them against the wall and get them defensive quickly. Just mention that at times it seems like your brakes are not working properly(describe how the pedal sinks to the floor and it doesn't seem to slow it down, so on so forth). Any good shop would at that point take a look at it for free...

One question though....why didn't you use your e-brake?

as for the not telling them about the accident... sounds good.

the ebrake thing.... im not sure if you've ever been in an accident but its hard to think and you just freeze up... thinking back the smartest thing wouldve been to go into the turning lane(as there were no cars there) or use the ebrake... but you dont think of these things are your flying into another car, secondly i expected to stop.... i didnt realize i wasnt stopping until i was about 10 ft away, as i was only going about 20mph and expected to stop easily. i now know what your told about not being able to think in tough situations is very true and its very easy to look back and say you couldve done that to avoid that but at the time your not thinking about it... thanks again guys
Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
At fault? At fault for what. There wasn't a wreck because it was never reported to the police. Maybe you should lawyer up and get yourself on the local TV news news to talk about your wreck. Make sure you tell them;

Quote:
thinking back the smartest thing wouldve been to go into the turning lane(as there were no cars there) or use the ebrake... but you dont think of these things are your flying into another car, secondly i expected to stop.... i didnt realize i wasnt stopping until i was about 10 ft away, as i was only going about 20mph and expected to stop easily.
Yeah, that'd be good. Don't forget this too;

Quote:
basically im looking to throw the blame somewhere else but brand new brakes, going about 25mph when i put the pedal to the floor with 15 or 20 yards to the next car... i think i shouldve easily stopped.

oh yeah (this might make a difference in my claim) not bad weather conditions, nice sunny day, no water on the road
Well were you doing 20 or 25 mph? You got within 10 feet of the car you hit and still didn't realize you weren't stopping? Were you taliking on your cell phone, playing with the stereo or eating? My guess is all three.

Face it, you caused a wreck due to inattention on your part, broke the law by not reporting it and now you're looking for someone else to blame. People like you, in a work, SUCK. For once in your pathetic life, stand up and take responsibility for your actions. You may have had a minor braking problem BUT, and this is a crucial but, the reason the wreck occured is because you are obviously an innattentive driver.

Oh yeah, while you're on TV, make sure to tell them this;

Quote:
i drove for about a half hour after the accident because it was drivable and i had to go home and the brakes worked fine after the accident.
That should really seal the deal for you.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
tikrapt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
At fault? At fault for what. There wasn't a wreck because it was never reported to the police. Maybe you should lawyer up and get yourself on the local TV news news to talk about your wreck. Make sure you tell them;

Yeah, that'd be good. Don't forget this too;

Well were you doing 20 or 25 mph? You got within 10 feet of the car you hit and still didn't realize you weren't stopping? Were you taliking on your cell phone, playing with the stereo or eating? My guess is all three.

Face it, you caused a wreck due to inattention on your part, broke the law by not reporting it and now you're looking for someone else to blame. People like you, in a work, SUCK. For once in your pathetic life, stand up and take responsibility for your actions. You may have had a minor braking problem BUT, and this is a crucial but, the reason the wreck occured is because you are obviously an innattentive driver.

Oh yeah, while you're on TV, make sure to tell them this;

That should really seal the deal for you.

yeah i'd say your a big flaming faggit
Old 03-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
In simpler terms, you don't like the fact that I'm probably about 99% correct in my interpretation of the situation. Take responsibility for your actions Twinkie. Once you do, you might even grow some pubic hair.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
tikrapt
CF Newbie

alright... im here to help/be helped, not to fight... no i didnt fall asleep, wasnt eating, wasnt on my phone, wasnt playing with the radio, just driving and didnt stop... brake failure or not i didnt stop. now if you'd like to help i've met my next problem...

i bent the hood back to normal and the only problem now is that the hood lock is slightly out of place from the collision and doesnt line up with the lock on the hood, so when i close it those dont engage and the only thing holding the hood down is the secondary lock and some bungi cords for safety while im driving.... should i just bang the crap out of it to try to get in back in place or what??? thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
alright... im here to help/be helped, not to fight... no i didnt fall asleep, wasnt eating, wasnt on my phone, wasnt playing with the radio, just driving and didnt stop... brake failure or not i didnt stop. now if you'd like to help i've met my next problem...

i bent the hood back to normal and the only problem now is that the hood lock is slightly out of place from the collision and doesnt line up with the lock on the hood, so when i close it those dont engage and the only thing holding the hood down is the secondary lock and some bungi cords for safety while im driving.... should i just bang the crap out of it to try to get in back in place or what??? thanks
If the hood is already damaged beyong repair, I don't think it will matter if you damage is some more by beating it into place. But I guess some common sense on your part would have gotten you to that conclusion instead of coming here and asking for permission. Bang away.

P.S. When are you going to start helping? All I've seen so far is you looking for a way to cover your ass.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #13
tikrapt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
If the hood is already damaged beyong repair, I don't think it will matter if you damage is some more by beating it into place. But I guess some common sense on your part would have gotten you to that conclusion instead of coming here and asking for permission. Bang away.

P.S. When are you going to start helping? All I've seen so far is you looking for a way to cover your ass.

you are aware that your not helping... and i dont know much about cars so theres not much for me to help... but if i see something i can help with i'll jump right in.... by the way... did i mention your a dumass
Old 03-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
you are aware that your not helping... and i dont know much about cars so theres not much for me to help... but if i see something i can help with i'll jump right in.... by the way... did i mention your a dumass
I'm not helping? Did you read any portion the first paragraph of my last post, or do you only pull your head out of your ass long enough to find something to cry about? The only problem with my posts are the fact that I speak the truth, and the truth is offensive to you. Every post you type, you display further that you are nothing more than a worthless, self centered pissant.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

(sic) faggit

Really? Does he wear flannel shirts, ride horses and wear cowboy hats too?

Out with it VWHobo, are you or are you not a latent homosexual?