Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

2 questions

Hi, I own a 1992 Geo Tracker and my idle is very odd...I am thinking its the tachometer because it will twitch(i.e. go from 900RPM or so to 1500RPM very very fast(like almost immediately and faster than the engine could rev up) but there is no change in the sound of the engine...doesn't sound like its running any faster or slower...even had it go 2000 to 800RPM.) Also usually it reads 1200RPM, sometimes it even goes down to read 500RPM and it runs perfect even dropping the needle past the 0RPM mark.

Also, occassionally when I push the brake pedal to brake and its relatively hard, the pedal will just start pulsating and making a clicking sound. I know you think this may just be ABS, but this car has no ABS as if I push the pedal all the way down I skid...now what could make the pedal vibrate like that and get the clicking sound? Doesn't always do it though, I get it maybe like once or twice a week...but it is still very very annoying.

Thanks

Last edited by Golddragoner : 03-18-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Anyone gonna help me? This is the third time I've posted this with not one damn reply (with maybe the exception of me)
Old 03-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

As you thought, the first one is probably the Tachometre, as the revs aren't actually irratic!

As for number two. Is the peddle just pulsating? or is it a grinding sensation? if it's the later, it's probably the brake pads are worn to excess. If it's the former....you've lost me lol, unless it does have ABS, but just doesn't operate as it should?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

nope the pedal actually pulsates and goes click, click, click, click...I really don't get it and I know that it isn't my brake pads that are worn either
Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

On some Jap cars like the Suzuki the solder joints inside the tachometer crack and need touching up. The symptoms are a needle that floats up to max revs even at idle.

The pulsating brakes could have a myriad of causes e.g DTV to pad wear. Get that checked out by a brake shop.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:28 AM   #6
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Well I am planning on getting new cross-drilled rotors and Carbon Fibre brake pads soon anyway. Then I'll see if that fixes it.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 AM   #7
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Well I am planning on getting new cross-drilled rotors and Carbon Fibre brake pads soon anyway. Then I'll see if that fixes it.

Cross-drilled rotors on a Geo Tracker? Is it gonna be a high performance racing Tracker or something?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Not really, they just cost around the same as normal rotors...plus they look good and I get really good braking
Old 03-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Not really, they just cost around the same as normal rotors...plus they look good and I get really good braking
Watch out because the actual drilled ones are prone to chipping, try to get ones that are cast.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #10
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:

Drilled rotors don't give you better braking, they just get rid of heat better. Which is only really an issue if you're racing the thing.