Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
coldinvt
CF Newbie

Cool FNG needs a ride - <US$30k

Hey all! I am looking for ideas. I've set a $30k limit for meself and I want something FUN. I (whoops) *sorta'* hijacked another thread with this post so, in the interest of being a responsibly participating NOOB, I repost it here:

My recollection of the Suby, 300ZX and S2K is that they're all pretty noisy. I haven't driven the Lancer, but it's a tinny little thing and I'm sure it would suck too. I wear earplugs enough on the bike! If you want a raw sports car, these are all great choices... Me? It's all about GT. By that I mean Gran Tourismo... Great power and handling with plenty of long range comfort so you can hop in and drive it to your heart's content.

I've driven a Bxstr but it's been awhile. I remember it being AWESOME (the 1st Porsche I've driven) but redline seemed too low, that's for sure... It's smooth and powerful right on past it! I don't remember it being too noisy, but then the top was up. Fantastic car. Personally I don't want a convertible 'cause it's cold in VT and visibility SUX with a ragtop up. I can't get past the looks of the Z3, but it does drive beautifully.

The '06 Civic Si is a surprisingly refined little go-cart. Much quieter than b4 (<6k rpm) and much more powerful than before (>0 rpm!). Handles awesome and comes with 5 years of warranty you won't need. Ltd Slip Diff is std. .92g (or something mad) on the skidpad is std. It's a sweet little rig!

I like the RX-8 aLOT, but it's exceedingly poor gas mileage has me a little sketched out. I hear it's pretty quiet on the highway (important) and handles incredibly well due to low center of mass and 50/50 weight distribution...

Maybe a '99 M3? They don't call it the ultimate for nothing. Time to do some reliability research on it! Maybe a '98ish Corvette too, though I'm not nuts about the interiors... Boo hoo...

So my short list: the '99 M3, a new/used RX-8 manual, the 'Vette or, possibly, 'cause it gets great mileage and I can drive it all year, the new Si.

I'd love to hear some feedback and any suggestions!

More intro - We've got an '05 Accord now that we're keeping, a 6.0 2500HD for pulling stuff and an '03 VFR800 with hard bags. I definitely need a bigger garage!

Looking forward to participating here,
Rob

Last edited by coldinvt : 03-19-2006 at 02:10 AM. Reason: To clarify thread title
coldinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

From your list of the M3, the RX-8, the Corvette, or the Civic Si...I wouldn't get the RX-8 if you care about reliability. I like them, but they aren't very reliable, especially in cold weather...The Corvette wouldn't be too fuel efficient either...I'd suggest either the Civic Si or the M3 from that list, but if it were up to me, for under $30,000 I'd suggest a Charger

Welcome to the Forums BTW lol
Old 03-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Welcome to CarForums.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
Bubba
null

Welcome to CF!
Old 03-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Hey Chris the Corvette has the LS1 and basically gets about 25 highway, thats pretty damn good from a 350 sbc
Old 03-18-2006, 03:28 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Hey Chris the Corvette has the LS1 and basically gets about 25 highway, thats pretty damn good from a 350 sbc
That's pretty impressive, I always thought they got like 17-18mpg lol.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
coldinvt
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
That's pretty impressive, I always thought they got like 17-18mpg lol.

Ya, I did too. There's a '98 6-speed on eBay for sale by a non-dealer who claims 32mpg highway! I guess that 5.7 doesn't have to work too hard to move that wedge down the highway in 6th, eh?

On a mpg-related note, our 6.0 pickup gets ~11.5 avg mpg but the 8.0 gets better than 13. wTH!

Just read jcutsh's Miata post and now I want a new one of them! Ugh.. this is torture!
Old 03-18-2006, 07:23 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Welcome to CF......It's nice that you've started a new thread rather than hijacking that other one....but this is in the wrong place lol...I'll move it.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #9
coldinvt
CF Newbie

Crikey!

Can I do nothing right??

lol... Oh well.

Bring on the feedback!

Cheers,
Rob

P.S. Thx for your patience, Super-Mod!

'03VFR - Covered up in the garage
M3 or MX5 or '06Si or RX8 or ??? - TBD 2-3 months...
'05AccordEXL - Wishes it was a LOT more fun to drive

"It really doesn't matter where yer from, as long as we're all the same religion." - Peter Griffin

Last edited by coldinvt : 03-19-2006 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add sig. & subscribe
Old 03-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

points to sig...

Its a '99 and I love her. Ill give more thorough advice when Im not lazy.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinvt
Can I do nothing right??

lol... Oh well.

Bring on the feedback!

Cheers,
Rob

P.S. Thx for your patience, Super-Mod!
Hey no worries... btw, I'm no Super-Mod lol....just a regular Mod.....or a "Rent-a-Supermod lol"

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote