Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Metallica3491
CF Newbie

99 eclipse GS or 99 Mustang GT

Iím about to buy my 1st car and Iím torn between two cars. It is between the 99' Mitsubishi Eclipse GS or a 99' Mustang GT. I donít want a turbo charged car that old because that is just too much trouble, I might get a turbo charger later down the road. Iím looking for performance and reliability, not comfort and practicality. They are both in the same general price range, GT slightly more expensive. Iíve always been a fan of rice burners, and very much a fan of Mitsubishi, mostly for the EVO VIII. That is by far one of the best cars under $100,000. Anyway one big reason Iím thinking of not getting the Eclipse is because it is FWD unlike the RWD GT, so that means no burnouts. One reason i donít like the GT is that it is infamous for its horrible handling. Right now Iím leaning for the GT because of its slightly faster 1/4 mile and better look. Normally Iím very much against American made cars but for a fist car I figure what the hell. What should i do?
Metallica3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

for a first car the eclipse Gs isn't too bad... however the way u write it u shouldn't get any of those.( wont do burnouts, bad handling) ur first car prob means ur 16. Insurance will rape u for those cars. Anyway ur call not mine. If i would be u in ur situation i would get an Integra and maybe even a GSR... Although GSR might be too fast for 1st car..
BTW search
there are prob 1000 topics on first cars...
Old 03-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Metallica3491
CF Newbie

Even with the draw bakcs I still want one of those cars. Both are sweet lookin, easy to mod, and are cheap and fast outa the box. So even though they ahve thier flaws, what car doesnt?

Evolution:6 speed manual,355 lb-ft trq. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and top speed of 175mph....And you believed in creationism
Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I say GT. I'm pretty sure the difference in the 1/4 mile is more than a little. The Mustang GT is a low 14 second car, while the Eclipse GS is somewhere around mid 15s if I'm not mistaken. A full second in the quarter mile is a big deal. The Eclipse probably handles better than the GT, but I wouldn't call the GT infamously horrible for its handling. Yes, the fit and finish of the Mustang is questionable like many American cars, but faster + RWD makes up for it and then some in my book. You might also want to check out the Camaro Z28/Trans Am from 1998-2002.

P.S., I'm looking at your sig, where are you getting 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for the Evo? I know they are quick, but 3.5 seems too quick, unless you're taking about some special model. Motor Trend is saying 4.5, which is more reasonabe to me. Also, I can't find any info, but a top speed of 175? Possible, just curious if it is true.

Last edited by giant016 : 03-19-2006 at 10:20 PM.
giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
Metallica3491
CF Newbie

I would never get a Camaro. I know alot of people with Camaros And alot of people have problems with it. Thats what you get out of american car engineering. The mustang is the only american car i would conider. Even the mustnag im still warry. Right now im thinking about a 3000gt. I was hoping for an VR4 but they go for like 12k out here and i dont have that kinda money.

Evolution:6 speed manual,355 lb-ft trq. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and top speed of 175mph....And you believed in creationism
Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica3491
I would never get a Camaro. I know alot of people with Camaros And alot of people have problems with it. Thats what you get out of american car engineering. The mustang is the only american car i would conider. Even the mustnag im still warry.

That just makes you an ignorant moron. Camaros and Mustangs are great cars. If you want reliability, why would you go with a Mitsubishi vehicle? Especially the base model Eclipse, which is an American car. American engine, drivetrain, and built right here in the US of A. Not too mention its slow as hell.

However the Mustang GT handles pretty good, getting .86 on the skidpad. The 2nd gen Eclipse handles worse than the Mustang GT does. Its also ALOT slower, 2.5 seconds 1/4 mile to be exact. 98+ Camaros do the 1/4 in mid 13s and handle about the same as the Mustang GTs.

How about this, the 4th gen Camaros got 4/5 in mechanical quality ratings from J.D. Power and Associates. The Mustang GT got 3/5 and the Eclipse GS got 3/5. But no, Mustangs and Eclipses are more reliable, right?

Next time you try to talk about what cars are good and which ones are bad, you might actually want to know what you're talking about and not just rant based on what you and your ricer friends at the meet outside of Wal-Mart discuss.

PS- Since when do Evo's have 405 horsepower and 355 ft-lbs of torque?
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
Next time you try to talk about what cars are good and which ones are bad, you might actually want to know what you're talking about and not just rant based on what you and your ricer friends at the meet outside of Wal-Mart discuss.
Well now, if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black. We're still waiting for your dissertation on why you think automatics are faster in the 1/4 mile than manuals... Backed up with facts of course.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:08 AM   #8
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well now, if that ain't the pot calling the kettle black. We're still waiting for your dissertation on why you think automatics are faster in the 1/4 mile than manuals... Backed up with facts of course.

Dont hijack topics. Ill finish it here. Theyre quicker because when you shift with a manual its impossible to keep it in the power band, a strong clutch will always drop the RPM. Whereas a high stall TC will keep it in the power bad. Another reason is that when you're covering the 1/4 in 6 seconds, you cannot shift quick er than an automatic can.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Dont hijack topics. Ill finish it here. Theyre quicker because when you shift with a manual its impossible to keep it in the power band, a strong clutch will always drop the RPM. Whereas a high stall TC will keep it in the power bad. Another reason is that when you're covering the 1/4 in 6 seconds, you cannot shift quick er than an automatic can.
Facts Twinkie, show us facts. Show me a class where you can run automatics or manuals and they choose autos because they're faster. Show me some reputable research that says autos are faster. Making shit up, or using "facts" that you heard while "you and your ricer friends at the meet outside of Wal-Mart" were talking doesn't cut it. FACTS twinkie, only facts.

P.S. This thread doesn't need to be hijacked, you can explain yourself in the other thread... If you're man enough and you have any facts to work with. That should be a hoot.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-20-2006, 02:30 AM   #10
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Facts Twinkie, show us facts. Show me a class where you can run automatics or manuals and they choose autos because they're faster. Show me some reputable research that says autos are faster. Making shit up, or using "facts" that you heard while "you and your ricer friends at the meet outside of Wal-Mart" were talking doesn't cut it. FACTS twinkie, only facts.

P.S. This thread doesn't need to be hijacked, you can explain yourself in the other thread... If you're man enough and you have any facts to work with. That should be a hoot.

Show me facts the prove me otherwise.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Show me facts the prove me otherwise.
Nice try Twinkie, but it's not gonna work. YOU are the one who made a statement about auto trans cars being faster in the 1/4 mile. Now it's up to YOU to provide supporting evidence. If you can't, or won't, back it up, we'll all understand why. Looks like it's time for you to go back to Wal-Mart with your ricer buddies and do some more posing.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #12
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

i am just wondering why does everyone use walmart as an example? why not Autozone or Targer or whatever
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
i am just wondering why does everyone use walmart as an example? why not Autozone or Targer or whatever
I only said Wal-Mart because he did and I don't know about where you live, but... Around here, all the twinks with they're pink MX-6's with fart cannons, hot air intakes and colored plug wires hang out around Wal-Mart, racing blue haired grannies and disabled people. It's good for their ego to be faster than somebody... anybody. Plus it's a great place to stock up on colored bulbs for their front turn signals and glove box lights, not to mention full race license plate frames, faux drilled aluminum pedal covers and NOS sticker packs. Why do you ask?

Old 03-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #14
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
I only said Wal-Mart because he did and I don't know about where you live, but... Around here, all the twinks with they're pink MX-6's with fart cannons, hot air intakes and colored plug wires hang out around Wal-Mart, racing blue haired grannies and disabled people. It's good for their ego to be faster than somebody... anybody. Plus it's a great place to stock up on colored bulbs for their front turn signals and glove box lights, not to mention full race license plate frames, faux drilled aluminum pedal covers and NOS sticker packs. Why do you ask?

He's right on the money with that statement.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
hahahah thats funny as hell and true around here too

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote