FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #46
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by What?
Lexus is not an American car company.

Your totally wrong.

im gonna re check to make sure...(www.wikipedia.org)

"types lexus"

Quote:
The Lexus marque was launched in the United States in 1989, followed by the UK and Australia in 1990.

and it says nothing about japan

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #47
elchango36
WWJCD

Let's put an end to this right now. Lexus car's are rebadged Toyota Luxury cars (with small tweaks for the USDM and UKDM). For example...
Lexus IS 300

Toyota Altezza

Why do they look exactly the same??? Oh yeah that's right, they're the same F*cking car .

Last edited by elchango36 : 03-22-2006 at 08:07 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #48
elchango36
WWJCD

**Copied and Pasted from another forum**
Lexus is a brand name used by Toyota in North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand for luxury automobiles. Some believe the name comes from the combination of "luxury" and "elegance". It directly competes with such traditional luxury brands as Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Toyota will market the brand name in Japan in 2005.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #49
What?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk

"types lexus"

Doesn't matter where the name brand is sold, the fact still remains that Lexus is owned by the Japanese.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #50
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by What?
Doesn't matter where the name brand is sold, the fact still remains that Lexus is owned by the Japanese.

there is a difference between being owned by a japanese company and being a japanese company,

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
Old 03-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #51
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
there is a difference between being owned by a japanese company and being a japanese company,
As much as I hate to have to agree with Twhat, HE'S RIGHT. STFU! Here are links to three (I could give you a zillion) Lexus' for sale. Look at the VIN's. See the first digit of "J"? That means it was built in Japan. Stop making yourself look stupider than you already have.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=874

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=522

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=436

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #52
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
As much as I hate to have to agree with Twhat, HE'S RIGHT. STFU! Here are links to three (I could give you a zillion) Lexus' for sale. Look at the VIN's. See the first digit of "J"? That means it was built in Japan. Stop making yourself look stupider than you already have.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=874

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=522

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=436

ill be very honest,

i was playing gt4, noticed that lexus was in the american cars section,
saw what?'s remark, did what I thought was correcting him, and then when i searched it on wikipedia, i was sure... but apparently not,

side note, arent there american cars built in mexico and other "out of country" places?
but still referred to as american cars

Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #53
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ill be very honest,

i was playing gt4, noticed that lexus was in the american cars section,
saw what?'s remark, did what I thought was correcting him, and then when i searched it on wikipedia, i was sure... but apparently not,

side note, arent there american cars built in mexico and other "out of country" places?
but still referred to as american cars
There are lot's of American cars built in Mexico and Canada. They can even legally claim to be built in America (not the US) because they are... in North America. Also keep in mind that here are a lot of Asian and European companies that build cars here in the US but are still considered to be foreign..

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #54
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Here's the problem. It still comes down to accuracy in reporting. On one hand you have people who don't take their car in when there's a problem, so that will go under reported. On the other hand you have people who are at the stealership every other day complaining about nothing which will cause over reporting. Then you have the stealerships that may or may not do the appropriate paperwork based on if they'll get paid for the job, if it's a comeback or sometimes if they can pad out an RO by adding unneeded work.

Here's another factor (actually two related) to consider. JD Powers sends out surveys but they can only count the ones returned so there's not 100% accountability. Plus, they can only poll original OWNERS who have kept the car for three years (for the long term list), not lessees. Lessees are driving the same car for the same amount of time, so why aren't they counted? You get the idea.

I guess the whole point of this rant is to make people aware that the ratings they see are really not very meaningful except as a marketing tool.

Yes, I definitely know people who will not take their car in until it begins to smoke, and those who will come in a panic with every rattle.

I suppose the only real way to judge quality is by first hand experiences, it's a shame that most people aren't willing to go to those kinds of lengths before forming an opinion.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #55
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak

Quote:

"types lexus"

you mean except for the first line in that wikipedia entry that says this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia Lexus entry
Lexus is a brand name of the Toyota Motor Corporation for its line of Japanese luxury vehicles."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermo
Lexus was the highest. And it wasn't designed by Americans.
isn't the word "designed" the real keyword here? it may be marketed as an american brand all they want, it may be built wherever they see fit, but it was DESIGNED (and owned) by the japanese.

now... there are cases like holden (australian company) basicly handing over their monaro to become the GTO here in the states... and i do believe chevy/pontiac brand the GTO as being american muscle...

and, i think people still consider chrysler to be a United States company, even though Daimler-Benz aquired them. i personally still consider dodge to be domestic, even though legally it's german.
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #56
Metallica3491
CF Newbie

Jesus Christ. Im sorry for mixing american cars and Japanese cars. I guess thats a touchy subject around here. Its just my opinion that i like foreign cars better. Just cause most mitsubishi cars are built here, they were designed in Japan. Im sorry i brought it up. I just personally dont like most american cars.

Evolution:6 speed manual,355 lb-ft trq. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and top speed of 175mph....And you believed in creationism
Metallica3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #57
Metallica3491
CF Newbie

Sorry to get back on subject but if i wanted to mod both the eclipse and the mustang which would i get better results from. I know that the eclipse has much more after market products but in the long run will i get more bang for my buck over the mustang? I know stock the mustang blows the eclipse away but i want to know what car will get better preformance after a i put money into it.

Evolution:6 speed manual,355 lb-ft trq. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and top speed of 175mph....And you believed in creationism
Metallica3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:47 AM   #58
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica3491
Sorry to get back on subject but if i wanted to mod both the eclipse and the mustang which would i get better results from. I know that the eclipse has much more after market products but in the long run will i get more bang for my buck over the mustang? I know stock the mustang blows the eclipse away but i want to know what car will get better preformance after a i put money into it.
There are two words to describe you. Clue and less. Go to yahoo and type in the words "mustang performance". Do you still think the Mitsu has more aftermarket support?

Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #59
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
You're dying to hear someone tell you to get the Eclipse over the Mustang. If you want it that much, just get the FWD Eclipse. If your serious about performance and getting the most bang for your buck, step off the bandwagon, open your eyes, and smell the ponies.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 AM   #60
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:

Wait wait wait wait wait, the Eclipse has a bigger aftermarket than Mustang GTs? I disagree on that. Especially the nonturbo models. You might not realize it, but the market for V8 performance is HUGE, even today. Also, since it is mostly a market of older people, theres more money in it.

You will be able to make more power with each modification with a car that already starts with more power. If you figure that the Eclipse has 140 hp, and the Mustang GT has 260, and header(s) adds maybe 10-15, then the Eclipse will have 155 chp and the Mustang will have 275.

Also, for maximum potential the saying "there is no replacement for displacement" rings true. Its a fact that a certain amount of fuel must be burned to make a certain about of horsepower. So theoretically higher the displacement being put out the higher the max power can possibly be. This is without considering efficiency, but if you're reaching the peak you're going to have pretty damn efficient parts.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote