Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Need help with my plymouth breeze

My lower ball joints are going and the mechanic says that the whole lower control arm has to be replaced to replace the ball joint (lower ones obviously). Is this true?

He also wants 700 bucks to do it, but i found them online for 50, 89 and 130 so I can do it my self for a lot cheaper... I just need to know how hard this is to do on my own... and if ill need special tools... or anything else.

I know ill have to take it for an alignment right after but other then that do you guys know of anything that needs to be done that i haven’t thought of? Maybe something big that makes it worth paying 700 not to have the hassle?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it
Old 03-19-2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Chances are he's right in saying that yoy'll need the ball joints replaced with the lower arms. They are probably available seperately, but often "weld" themselves to the arms themselves, making a full replacement more feasable. $700 seems extreamly high though! To do it youself, you'll need a Ball Joint breaker to seperate the joint from the hub etc, otherwise it'll be very hard. These shouldn't be that hard to come by though. Other than that, it's pretty self explanitary really!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-19-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
My lower ball joints are going and the mechanic says that the whole lower control arm has to be replaced to replace the ball joint (lower ones obviously). Is this true?

He also wants 700 bucks to do it, but i found them online for 50, 89 and 130 so I can do it my self for a lot cheaper... I just need to know how hard this is to do on my own... and if ill need special tools... or anything else.

I know ill have to take it for an alignment right after but other then that do you guys know of anything that needs to be done that i havenít thought of? Maybe something big that makes it worth paying 700 not to have the hassle?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it
I try not to comment on repair prices, because I wouldn't want someone to quote for my shops. As for the job at hand, it's relatively simple and straight forward. As Cliffy suggests, you'll need a ball joint seperator, commonly refered to as a pickle fork. They're readily available at any car parts store for about $15 or even free loan.

Once you have that, it's basic hand tools, nuts and bolts. Make sure you get it aligned after you're finished.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I try not to comment on repair prices, because I wouldn't want someone to quote for my shops. As for the job at hand, it's relatively simple and straight forward. As Cliffy suggests, you'll need a ball joint seperator, commonly refered to as a pickle fork. They're readily available at any car parts store for about $15 or even free loan.

Once you have that, it's basic hand tools, nuts and bolts. Make sure you get it aligned after you're finished.
OMG is that really the tool? I have one of those! But the bag its in calls it a tierod separator... is that the same tool?

from what cliffy describes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I mean the lower arms and ball joints are right infront of you. All ya do with a ball joint breaker....or splitter if it's less painfull for you to hear lol, is hit it with a hammer!

He makes it seem a lot easier then it did to me at first when I got under there and looked at them. if its that simple I’m sure I can do it on my own.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
OMG is that really the tool? I have one of those! But the bag its in calls it a tierod separator... is that the same tool?

from what cliffy describes:

He makes it seem a lot easier then it did to me at first when I got under there and looked at them. if its that simple Iím sure I can do it on my own.

Thanks guys.
Essentially, the only difference between a tie-rod saperator and a ball joint separator is the size of the opening. You can get a good idea by looking at this example of a multi-use set.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

I was told ill need a balljoint press...whats this look like?
Is it like a C clamp?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I was told ill need a balljoint press...whats this look like?
Is it like a C clamp?
Who the hell told you that? Run away from this person as quickly as you can. Your lower ball joints are NOT press fit, they are constructed as part of the lower control arm. Pickle fork, hammer, dykes, some wrenches and maybe a pry bar are all you need once you get the car off the ground and the tire off.

Breeze lower control arm with integral ball joint.

Press in ball joints.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

how long do you think it'll take me?
Ive got to have it on the road in like one day. My dad will be helping me so it actually will go a lot faster cause its just a lot better at this stuff then me.

Thank you for your help hobo.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
how long do you think it'll take me?
Ive got to have it on the road in like one day. My dad will be helping me so it actually will go a lot faster cause its just a lot better at this stuff then me.

Thank you for your help hobo.
It depends on how much rust you have to deal with more than anything else. Doing both sides in the driveway (don't forget I'm used to having a lift and using air tools) shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours tops. The inboard horizontal pivot bolt is the one that usually gives the most grief. I know you have a lot of salt on the roads there, so you might want to start soaking it down with WD-40 or some such every day between now and when you do the job.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Talking

wow how lucky is this... looks like there was a recall on those lower control arms... im gonna go to the dealership to day to find out if my car has had it done... if not yup im gonna get it fixed for free.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r... ner=edmunds#5

talk about luck!