Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
gannet
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2
Question What do I do?

I have a '97 Astra 1.7 TD which has just failed MOT.

The garage say the repairs will cost at least 500 and the car isn't worth it. Basically, a few months ago the car overheated and I had to get the headgasket skimmed and sorted out. About 2 weeks after one of the pipes came undone and water spilled out, engine cut out again, but luckily, once pipe was refixed and water topped up the car was going fine again.

I took it for MOT this week and the garage said that the pressure in the engine was so high that they couldn't risk doing an emissions test incase the engine blew. The mechanic said that he thinks that the timing wasn't set propery when it was fixed and would cost at least 500 for him to sort. He said that I also had a rusty brake pipe, cracked number plate, cracked wing mirror that he could see. He didn't look any further as he said all that would be a waste of money.

I know absolutely nothing about cars and just wondered, is it worth getting repaired or not. If not, can i get anything for it?

Ant help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
The garage say the repairs will cost at least 500 and the car isn't worth it.
Firstly, I recon 500 worth of work for a '97 Astra is certainly alot to fork out, but not necessarily more than the car's worth, especially as it's a Diesel, which would be more sort after. What's the mileage?

Quote:
I took it for MOT this week and the garage said that the pressure in the engine was so high that they couldn't risk doing an emissions test incase the engine blew. The mechanic said that he thinks that the timing wasn't set propery when it was fixed and would cost at least 500 for him to sort. He said that I also had a rusty brake pipe, cracked number plate, cracked wing mirror that he could see. He didn't look any further as he said all that would be a waste of money.
I'm not sure I'm thoroughly understanding your Mechanics methods here. Is he suggesting the oil pressure is too high? if so, I'm not sure how incorect timing would cause this.....unless I'm missing something os course. The other little things aere minor details. The wing mirror wont necessarily fail the MoT as I believe if you have atleast one wing mirror and a rearview mirror, it's acceptable for MoT test standard!

Quote:
I know absolutely nothing about cars and just wondered, is it worth getting repaired or not. If not, can i get anything for it?
Are you sure the Mechanic hasn't thought ahead of you on that one? It's not uncommon to see a Mechanic fail a car on it's MoT and pick up a b argain himself. Yes, you'll be able to sell it, but I'd personally either take it to another Garage for a second opinion or go ahead and repair it!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
gannet
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 2
Thanks for the reply.

The milage has just hit 90,000 this week.

With regard to the pressure he said he heard it was high as soon as he turned the engine on. He felt around some of the pipes and said they were rock solid whereas they should have been 'squidgy'. He found a spilt pipe where diesel was pouring out and replaced it but there was no difference. He phoned to say don't bother at 9.10am after opening at 8.30 so didn't take him long to decide.

As for trying to pick up a bargain hiimself, he didn't suggest what I did with it apart from get rid. He certainly didn't offer to take it off my hands.


I might try another garage this week if I can book it in.

Cheers again!
gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannet
Thanks for the reply.

The milage has just hit 90,000 this week.

With regard to the pressure he said he heard it was high as soon as he turned the engine on. He felt around some of the pipes and said they were rock solid whereas they should have been 'squidgy'. He found a spilt pipe where diesel was pouring out and replaced it but there was no difference. He phoned to say don't bother at 9.10am after opening at 8.30 so didn't take him long to decide.

As for trying to pick up a bargain hiimself, he didn't suggest what I did with it apart from get rid. He certainly didn't offer to take it off my hands.


I might try another garage this week if I can book it in.

Cheers again!
From what you say, it sounds like excessive water pressure. This would occur if the car gets too hot, therefore the problem might lie with something as small as a fan switch, or an airlock in the cooling system. I think maybe he jumped to conclusions after he realised what previous work had been done with regard to the engine. Also, 90,000miles is about average for a diesel of that age, so I still say get that second opinion
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Cliffy I'm glad you know what gannet is on about, because I can't figure it.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Cliffy I'm glad you know what gannet is on about, because I can't figure it.
Hey, I never said I knew.....I assumed that's what he meant lol
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.