Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Aggieman82
CF Newbie

Help with headlight in 1995 Ford Tarus

Hi i am new to the group and just looking for some help.

The head light on get going and it looks like the is a lot of broken glass and water in the headlight cover, so i am trying to remove the cover so that i can clean out the cover. The problems is that i have on clue how to get the cover off.
Aggieman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggieman82

The head light on get going and it looks like the is a lot of broken glass and water in the headlight cover, so i am trying to remove the cover so that i can clean out the cover. The problems is that i have on clue how to get the cover off.

wow...

you say its about a headlight?
and a cover

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:

Umm, could you please reword this?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
wow...

you say its about a headlight?
and a cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Umm, could you please reword this?
What's wrong with you twits? He very clearly said "the head light on get going". Are you too stupid to understand what that means? I am and was hoping someone could explain it to me. Maybe he speaks alternate universe English.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Take your headlight....disconnect the bulb, wires, etc.etc., and remove it
throw it at the wall and get it apart
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
Aggieman82
CF Newbie

sorry brain was iturned off

Let me try this once more

My headlight keeps going out, as in the bulb pops leaveing glass behind. I thinks its becouse there is water and glass from the old bulbs in the headlight cover, I want to take off the headlight cover and clean out the water and old glass. The thing is that i have no idea how to get the cover off.
Aggieman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Let me try this once more

My headlight keeps going out, as in the bulb pops leaveing glass behind. I thinks its becouse there is water and glass from the old bulbs in the headlight cover, I want to take off the headlight cover and clean out the water and old glass. The thing is that i have no idea how to get the cover off.
Better....remove the bulb and wiring, and disconnect the wiring. Remove the housing, and either A-use a razor to cut the seal connecting the backing and lens, or B- there might be some kinda little locks there holding it...clean it out etc.etc.etc. and when ur done if you used method A then you need to get some caulk....put some gently on the rim of the lens, and then press it to the backing...make sure its aligned right, and once it starts to harden, get a lot of rubberbands and use them to just clamp them together for a few hours. then reinstall housing, new bulb, wiring and youre done
EDIT: its VERY important to seal it back correctly, or more moisture will get in. Also when you put in new bulbs, NEVER touch the glass, because the oil from your fingers makes them break when they turn on as well as the moisture
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

Last edited by newyorker : 03-20-2006 at 03:35 AM.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

cutting open headlights is not advisable though...but if you want to try using a heatgun with newyorker's suggestion...makes it much easier to get it off...also don't get any caulk on the chrome housing or cut it as it will cause it to peal off entirely from the heat
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote