Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
Accord_Man
CF Addict

Thunderbird............calling Thunderbird

Alright, we've talked about this before, but now I'm ready to purchase so I want to run this by you one last time to see if my setup will work. (2) DD3512d subs powered by (2) hifonics BX2005 amps. I was wondering if the stock 6 disc reciecver from an 04 honda CRV EX will work. Thank you.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_Man
Alright, we've talked about this before, but now I'm ready to purchase so I want to run this by you one last time to see if my setup will work. (2) DD3512d subs powered by (2) hifonics BX2005 amps. I was wondering if the stock 6 disc reciecver from an 04 honda CRV EX will work. Thank you.

IT will work, but I suggest getting one big amp to make things easier (and cheaper). You'll definatley need to upgrade your alternator and do the big 3. I dont suggest using the stock receiver... Get an aftermarket recevier.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Accord_Man
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
IT will work, but I suggest getting one big amp to make things easier (and cheaper). You'll definatley need to upgrade your alternator and do the big 3. I dont suggest using the stock receiver... Get an aftermarket recevier.
ok, so what amp should I get, I didn't think there were many good amps for good prices that put out 2000 watts to each channel. Also, I would really like to use the stock reciever for now, later when I get and actual car, then I am going to get a panasonic 8000 series. Is it possible to do it on the stock reciever. Also, I am sorta unclear about how to hook it all up, should I get an optima battery. I would like to get hifonics, amps, those brutus ones looked good. Thanks.

EDIT: will this one work http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14738

Last edited by Accord_Man : 03-20-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
ok, so what amp should I get, I didn't think there were many good amps for good prices that put out 2000 watts to each channel. Also, I would really like to use the stock reciever for now, later when I get and actual car, then I am going to get a panasonic 8000 series. Is it possible to do it on the stock reciever. Also, I am sorta unclear about how to hook it all up, should I get an optima battery. I would like to get hifonics, amps, those brutus ones looked good. Thanks.

EDIT: will this one work http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14738

You need to focus first on getting a new HU, this will make everything a whole bunch smoother, cleaner and easier. Using a stock HU will produce poor sound quality unless you spend some big bucks on something to the tune of a Epicenter or Cleansweep. Which, you might as well just buy a good HU.

You dont need an optima battery, just get a wal-mart battery with the highest CCA you can find that will fit in your vehicle. There is no need to spend $110 on an Optima battery. I got a Sears 800CCA rated battery for my car and it works, was only like $65. Do you know what your alternator is rated to put out (in amps)? You are probably going to need a new alt, but first just get that new battery, and do the Big 3 upgrade. IF you arent getting the power, then you will need a new alt. I found a 115amp alternator for my car for only $85 at an autozone.

Get the Dual 2ohm versions of the subs, wire them for a 2ohm load and power them with this...

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2425

Will give about 1300rms to each sub. More than enough.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Accord_Man
CF Addict

ok how bout this HU http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14898
and I think I'm sticking with the 2 hifonics amps, i heard 2000 watts from 2 hifonics brutus subs and it rocked my world and my hair almost came out of my head. The guy that has that is getting two more to have 4000 watts. I also want to give mine that much, the subs can take it, so thats how much I'm gonna give it. Ok, lets see if I'm following my wiring diagrams correctly, if I give each sub its own amp, get the 2 ohm models, it will wire down to a 1 ohm load.
Correct? That will give me the full power. Ok, if you don't mind, do you have any good wiring diagrams that show how to hook up a complete sub system. Thanks again for all your help, I don't know where I'd be w/o you.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
ok how bout this HU http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14898
and I think I'm sticking with the 2 hifonics amps, i heard 2000 watts from 2 hifonics brutus subs and it rocked my world and my hair almost came out of my head. The guy that has that is getting two more to have 4000 watts. I also want to give mine that much, the subs can take it, so thats how much I'm gonna give it. Ok, lets see if I'm following my wiring diagrams correctly, if I give each sub its own amp, get the 2 ohm models, it will wire down to a 1 ohm load.
Correct? That will give me the full power. Ok, if you don't mind, do you have any good wiring diagrams that show how to hook up a complete sub system. Thanks again for all your help, I don't know where I'd be w/o you.

I was just suggesting 1 amp to save money. Remeber, you're going to probably have to drop serious money into upgrading the electrical system as well if you're going to be running two big amps. You will DEFINATLEY need to upgrade the alternator to a 180+ amp unit (~$300), need a good big battery (~$60-$80) and do the Big 3 upgrade with 0ga wire (~$15).

You can get HU's cheaper at ikesound.

For instance this JVC head is aexcellent for this price...
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4705

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-21-2006, 02:09 AM   #7
Accord_Man
CF Addict

what does a capacitator do. also what is the Big 3. Also, if you can find me a 2 x 2000 watts amp for under 650, then I'm all ears.

why don't i just get this one, it will save me 100 dollars, and I heard MA audio is good, its branch of memphis
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14738

Last edited by Accord_Man : 03-21-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
what does a capacitator do. also what is the Big 3. Also, if you can find me a 2 x 2000 watts amp for under 650, then I'm all ears.

why don't i just get this one, it will save me 100 dollars, and I heard MA audio is good, its branch of memphis
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14738

Capacitors really dont help much at all, dimming problems and power issues from big bass hits are better solved by doing the big 3.

Big 3 Explaned in Detail...
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801

You basically upgrade the wire from...

A. the negative battery terminal to the chassis
B. the alternator to the positive battery terminal
C. chassis to engine

Sometimes the size of the wire is around 8ga in size. Seen some as big as 4ga though. But going to 0ga is a significant upgrade.

The MA Audio amp would be good, they make solid high current amps.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #9
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
what does a capacitator do.
A capacitor holds electric charge, so if you have a sudden spike in consumption (eg a loud bass strike that pulls significant power), it smooths it out by releasing some of its stored charge to compensate for the extra usage.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
A capacitor holds electric charge, so if you have a sudden spike in consumption (eg a loud bass strike that pulls significant power), it smooths it out by releasing some of its stored charge to compensate for the extra usage.

And in theory this is what it's supposed to help with big heavy bass spikes, but doesnt. In fact caps are pretty much a waste of money in almost any case. You're much better to upgrade the bat/alt/big 3.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Accord_Man
CF Addict

whats the best way to hook my nano up to the head unit I showed you. I want to be able to change songs from the HU, not the nano, and I want it to be able to be charging while its hooked up.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 AM   #12
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
whats the best way to hook my nano up to the head unit I showed you. I want to be able to change songs from the HU, not the nano, and I want it to be able to be charging while its hooked up.

I dont know if you can change the songs from the HU, and I dont think it charges while you have it hooked up. BUT, you can hook it up through the aux cables. I havent dealt with IPOD hookup yet... So I cant help you much there.

~Blow your mind~

Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #13
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
And in theory this is what it's supposed to help with big heavy bass spikes, but doesnt. In fact caps are pretty much a waste of money in almost any case. You're much better to upgrade the bat/alt/big 3.
depends how well you design your circuit I suppose.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
Accord_Man
CF Addict

OK guys, I now have everything I ordered and it is all hooked up. But there is one problem, when i turn the car on, the power light on the amp flashes but it doesn't stay on. From what I understand, the remote turn on is doing its job, but power is not getting to it to stay on. Do I need a new alternator or what?
Here's a list of what I'm running again:

(2) DD3512d DVC 4 ohm subwoofers wired in parallel separately

(1) MA audio HK802SX 4400 watt amp running in 2 channel mode on a 2 ohm
load two for each channel, giving each channel 800 watts.

Panasonic CQ-C7413U Head Unit with the iPod adapter cable

4 gauge power and ground wires

12 gauge speaker wires

200 ampere Memphis ANL fuse and fuse holder

4 cu in. MDF box (separated chambers) 2 ports tuned to 40 Hz with the front
piece doubled with 3/4 MDF built by me

I thought that since I was only running a total of 1600 watts, that my electrical system could take it, but maybe I was wrong. Please help. Thanks

Last edited by Accord_Man : 05-01-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

PRIVATE MESSAGES YOU WHORES!!!!

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote