Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 02:46 AM   #1
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Replacing Fuel Filter, and adding BG44K...

I got a fuel filter for my car. I have the old one located. I took off the brace that anchors it to the chasis of the car.

It is an inline fuel filter ----O----. The guy at advance auto parts said to just unscrew each side because it is a fuel injection. SO there shouldn't be any pressure since the fuel pump isn't running. I am just a little worried. What should i expect once i manage to get the bolts on each side loose? Just a couple drips of gasoline, or something else.

Should i disconnect one side first?

Additionally, i bought a bottle of expensive ($20) BG44K Fuel Additive. SHould i put that in upon filling the tank completely up or should i just throw a little bit in now (1/4 tank of gas). Also should i change the fuel filter first or should i use the BG let the gas run down really low, and then change the filter?

-Kevin
Sportsphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsphreek
I got a fuel filter for my car. I have the old one located. I took off the brace that anchors it to the chasis of the car.

It is an inline fuel filter ----O----. The guy at advance auto parts said to just unscrew each side because it is a fuel injection. SO there shouldn't be any pressure since the fuel pump isn't running. I am just a little worried. What should i expect once i manage to get the bolts on each side loose? Just a couple drips of gasoline, or something else.

Should i disconnect one side first?

Additionally, i bought a bottle of expensive ($20) BG44K Fuel Additive. SHould i put that in upon filling the tank completely up or should i just throw a little bit in now (1/4 tank of gas). Also should i change the fuel filter first or should i use the BG let the gas run down really low, and then change the filter?

-Kevin
If the guy at Advance was qualified to tell you what to do, he's be doing it himself for a living instead of selling parts for minimum wage plus 50 cents.

The proper procedure is to disable the fuel pump, start and run the engine until it dies to relieve system pressure and then replace the filter. In real life you can just go under the car and replace the filter. Be aware that when you break loose the line nut that here will be some fuel pressure and it WILL come out pretty good for a second or two. I recommend smoking a cigar while doing this. It doesn't matter which side you disconnect first, the pressure is equalized. Wait until you have a fullish tank before dumping in the additive and do it after the filter change.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Excellent.

So tomorrow it is ok for me to fill up. Add the additive. Then change the fuel filter later that day?

Also, i am replacing a PCV Valve. I cant seem to locate it on the 92 Toyota Pickup V6. From another FAQ they say it is under the intake plenum. Can someone sort of point me in the general direction?

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

Be aware that when you break loose the line nut that here will be some fuel pressure and it WILL come out pretty good for a second or two. I recommend smoking a cigar while doing this. It doesn't matter which side you disconnect first, the pressure is equalized. ..........

That's a a pretty irresponsible thing to suggest! Don't you know smoking can cause lung and mouth cancer?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Dont worry lol. If i did smoke that would not be the place to do it. But i dont smoke, and i never ever will.

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

So you never inhaled and never had sex with "that" woman?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
So you never inhaled and never had sex with "that" woman?

Lol this got off topic really quick. No. Im 17 and Christian. However weird that may be. If i go out with someone, it isn't like that.

BUT back to the car discussion

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2006, 04:24 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

A 17 yearold celebate Christian....... can't be many of those left in the wild. Keep up the good work, study those gospels, and give up your bad ways with smoking and woman; redempton is close at hand brother.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 AM   #9
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
A 17 yearold celebate Christian....... can't be many of those left in the wild. Keep up the good work, study those gospels, and give up your bad ways with smoking and woman; redempton is close at hand brother.

Haha.

Now about that car
Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

The car? I thought the other old fossil gave you instructions on replacing the filter and using the additive. Make sure you use two spanners (one on the nut, the other on the filter socket boss) and keep them at a close angle to each other.

Now about these other problems with your are having with women and nicotine?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #11
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
The car? I thought the other old fossil gave you instructions on replacing the filter and using the additive. Make sure you use two spanners (one on the nut, the other on the filter socket boss) and keep them at a close angle to each other.

Now about these other problems with your are having with women and nicotine?

Lol no problems. I dont smoke. And i go out with plenty of girls.

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I thought the discusion was over with? lol.....make sure you get the fuel flow direction correct, there should be a little arrow on the filter that will prompt you. If you put it on the wrong way round....the filter that is lol, it could cause fuel starvation which would make the car splutter a bit....and ya wouldn't want that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo
If the guy at Advance was qualified to advise you, he'd being doing it himself, for a living
Same with tyre fitters....they are all Mechanics really lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-20-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 AM   #13
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Be aware that when you break loose the line nut that here will be some fuel pressure and it WILL come out pretty good for a second or two. I recommend smoking a cigar while doing this.

That's the funniest shit I've ever heard.