Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

PCV Valve + Fuel Filter Problem

In addition to changing my fuel filter (Seperate thread) im changing my PCV Valve. However, i cant seem to find it on my car ('92 Toyota Pickup V6 EFI)

Where i thought it would be it isn't there. Upon searching for it, i heard that it was under the intake plenum. Not quite sure what that is either.

Can someone point me in the right general direction. Ill post pics if needed.

-Kevin

Edit: If it is possible the car MAY not have one, yet.

Last edited by Sportsphreek : 03-21-2006 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Update
Sportsphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

I think if you cant find an answer here, pick up a Haynes manual...they got everything
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

Should be fairly easy to find. It will probably be tubed from the rocker (valve) cover. It might be on the rocker cover itself or screwed to plenum/intake manifold. It may also be part and parcel of the oil filler cap.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

According to the Toyota technician today he said it is under the intake plenum. So it is under the large metal thing with V6 EFI printed on top. So i have to unscrew that, remove it and the vacuum hoses and then search for it. Fun stuff.

Instead of bumping my other thread ill post it here. We tried to change it today. It leaked a little, as to be expect, but we couldn't get the fuel line disconnected on either side. We couldn't loosen it and gave up because it was getting dark on the engine side. But on the fuel tank side we loosened it. BUt then it got really tight and wouldn't come out anymore. It just kept loosening. So, since it was getting dark, and we were running out of time, we tightened it back on there.

Does anyone know what was going on there?

-Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 04:28 AM   #5
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsphreek
According to the Toyota technician today he said it is under the intake plenum. So it is under the large metal thing with V6 EFI printed on top. So i have to unscrew that, remove it and the vacuum hoses and then search for it. Fun stuff.

Instead of bumping my other thread ill post it here. We tried to change it today. It leaked a little, as to be expect, but we couldn't get the fuel line disconnected on either side. We couldn't loosen it and gave up because it was getting dark on the engine side. But on the fuel tank side we loosened it. BUt then it got really tight and wouldn't come out anymore. It just kept loosening. So, since it was getting dark, and we were running out of time, we tightened it back on there.

Does anyone know what was going on there?

-Kevin

Sounds like you cross threaded it and then stripped it. Only way you will get it out now is if you turn it and pry it at the same time...even that may not work and you'll have to get a new clip (I think thats what ur talking about, or is it a bolt?)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well there's a few things I don't understand:

Does the fuel filter have banjos, sockets or nipples? If it has sockets did you loosen off the line nipple and pull the fuel line out so the nipple wouldn't bind on the pipe? How could you not get a line nut/nipple loose? Did you use two spanners side by side, tight angle and just grip them up to loosen or did you try reefing it loose instead, buckling the pipe in the process?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:13 AM   #7
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
Sounds like you cross threaded it and then stripped it. Only way you will get it out now is if you turn it and pry it at the same time...even that may not work and you'll have to get a new clip (I think thats what ur talking about, or is it a bolt?)

It is an acutal bolt.

I have the fuel filter with a soldered nut on the end of it. The threaded bolt on the end of the fuel line then goes into that. We unscrewed the fuel line, but after a couple seconds of turning, it suddenly got really hard to turn and didn't appear to be going anywhere. So, because we were running out of time, and because we were worried something might stripped we tried (and succeeded) in tightening it back up to where it was.

-Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #8
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well there's a few things I don't understand:

Does the fuel filter have banjos, sockets or nipples? If it has sockets did you loosen off the line nipple and pull the fuel line out so the nipple wouldn't bind on the pipe? How could you not get a line nut/nipple loose? Did you use two spanners side by side, tight angle and just grip them up to loosen or did you try reefing it loose instead, buckling the pipe in the process?

Im sorry but i dont know it that in depth. Tomorrow i can take a picture and post it for you guys. Hopefully that will help. My latest description above this post will hopefully help out a lot too.

-Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

I know my PCV is on top of my Valve cover...look for a small spot with some kind of hose on it...better yet take some pix nad show us
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

From your response you have hex sockets and line nipples. If the pipe has been kinked, even slightly, the nipple will bind. You must loosen, pull the pipe back, loosen some more, pull line some more, ........,
Old 03-21-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
Sportsphreek
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
From your response you have hex sockets and line nipples. If the pipe has been kinked, even slightly, the nipple will bind. You must loosen, pull the pipe back, loosen some more, pull line some more, ........,

Oh so nothing is really screwed up then. Also is it ok to spray WD-40 down there. ON the engine side of the filter we couldn't loosen it at all.

At any rate, all that was happening was i was twisting something a little bit too much?

Quote:
I know my PCV is on top of my Valve cover...look for a small spot with some kind of hose on it...better yet take some pix nad show us

Lol there are lots of small spots with hoses. Ill definitely take some pics tomorrow and show you. I have about 3 other friends coming over to help out (hopefully). That way maybe 2 can work on the PCV Valve and 1 can work on the fuel filter. (Or hell i have a marker light out that i can change as well )

-Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

I have a question about the fuel filters...what exactly happens when you don't change them? I haven't changed mine and I don't know if the person before me changed it either...does it decrease gas mileage and performance from being dirty? ...I suppose sometime (Maybe when I throw on my new rotors and repack all my front wheel bearings I'll change it)
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
I have a question about the fuel filters...what exactly happens when you don't change them? I haven't changed mine and I don't know if the person before me changed it either...does it decrease gas mileage and performance from being dirty? ...I suppose sometime (Maybe when I throw on my new rotors and repack all my front wheel bearings I'll change it)

Check this site out: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/_res/demo/filter.swf
there was a better one but I can't remember it

It prevents particles (like dirt and dust) from getting into the engine
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Check this site out: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/_res/demo/filter.swf
there was a better one but I can't remember it

It prevents particles (like dirt and dust) from getting into the engine

Then I guess I am replacing it