Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
97Talonchik
discombobulated

It never fails...

I just made the last payment on my car last week. Woohoo!
Unfortunately, on my way to a doctors appointment today, the car started acting funny at idle. It idled rougher, then rougher, the RPM's fell to about 300 and I turned the car off. I restarted it and it was idling fine. I started to attempt to drive it and it started sputtering. I noticed plumes of smoke coming from the exhaust. I can't tell you the color because it's a monsoon outside today and it was hard to tell.

I parked it back in front of my apartment complex with it still running to see if I could deduce where the problem was (mind you it is pouring rain outside). I couldn't isolate the problem. I did notice something was leaking from under the car...couldn't tell what (again it was flowing in the river of water that was our parking lot). I tried to put my finger in the liquid to see if it was gas or if it was coolant or oil, but the water just made that near impossible.

What sort of problems could cause a rough idle, smoke from exhaust (it was not an egg smell but a burnt smell?), and sputtering. The leak (or what I thought was a leak) could just be oil that was already on the parking lot that the water picked up.

The check engine light came on, but I have no way to pull the codes here. Is it safe to drive it anywhere? I'm afraid to blow it up, seriously. Advise please.

1997 Eagle Talon ESI, 2.0L engine, automatic.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

If it smells of burning it could be an oil pressure problem?.....I dont know anything about this car, so I cant really say if they're prone to anything. Can you not see where exacly it's leaking from, under the bonnet?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
If it smells of burning it could be an oil pressure problem?.....I dont know anything about this car, so I cant really say if they're prone to anything. Can you not see where exacly it's leaking from, under the bonnet?

The car sits so low, I can't tell without jacking it up. I'm hoping the monsoon lets up soon so I can go investigate. I hope its not oil pressure, I didn't notice it overheating and my oil was just changed 2 weeks ago (and I didn't do it because I was lazy, lol). I tried to check the oil level because I was thinking the same thing but it was hard to tell what the level was at because the rain was coming down so hard. Why does God hate me so?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
The car sits so low, I can't tell without jacking it up. I'm hoping the monsoon lets up soon so I can go investigate. I hope its not oil pressure, I didn't notice it overheating and my oil was just changed 2 weeks ago (and I didn't do it because I was lazy, lol). I tried to check the oil level because I was thinking the same thing but it was hard to tell what the level was at because the rain was coming down so hard. Why does God hate me so?
As the oil was recently changed, I'd check the level asap..

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
As the oil was recently changed, I'd check the level asap..

I'm headed out there rain or no rain. First I'm checking the oil level. Then I'm going to jack that car up and see if the filter and oil plug are still there. I have a bad feeling about this. Be back shortly with an update.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Ok, oil level was at min. Started the car, check it again, 0 fluid reading on the stick. Turned off the car, jacked it up. Oil plug and filter still intact. The remaining oil is seeping out onto the ground and I can tell now. I think the rear main seal. It's leaking from behind the engine somewhere.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Ok, oil level was at min. Started the car, check it again, 0 fluid reading on the stick. Turned off the car, jacked it up. Oil plug and filter still intact. The remaining oil is seeping out onto the ground and I can tell now. I think the rear main seal. It's leaking from behind the engine somewhere.
You've pretty much answered your own querie there lol....As it's clearly leaking quite quickly, I'd get it booked in to, and possibly towed to a garage asap!

Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Stupid car. Thanks Cliffy.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Stupid car. Thanks Cliffy.
You're welcome

Try and blame the Garage, too lol jk

Old 03-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
elchango36
WWJCD

Good Luck with your car
Old 03-20-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Hey Cliffy, they say sounds like head gasket. Just got it towed to the shop for the official diagnosis.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Hey Cliffy, they say sounds like head gasket. Just got it towed to the shop for the official diagnosis.
Oh dear....atleast ya have a rough diagnosis though. How long will it take them to test this for sure?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #13
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Probably the next day or two. I'm in no hurry, lol. Rough estimate for head gasket is $800-900. I'm looking for someone to go steal it for me and blow it up. Any takers?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Probably the next day or two. I'm in no hurry, lol. Rough estimate for head gasket is $800-900. I'm looking for someone to go steal it for me and blow it up. Any takers?
lol...I'm sure CF has it's fair share of "dodgy" members hehe

Old 03-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Well $900 for a gasket would suggest the thieves you are looking for just analysed the gasket as blown.