Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

V for Vendetta

I just saw this movie tonight, and I have to say it was excellent. It was nothing like I expected, no X-men or Spiderman action and heros. It was really something else, I can't really put it into words. The ideas and the dialogue were so mesmerizing to me that I couldn't not concentrate on it. It was a great story, of course if you have a little bit of imagination.

And the finale was brilliant too, although the trailers ruined it, as always.

If you don't know much about it, I'll tell you this. Its about 20 to 30 years in the future, America has pretty much destroyed itself with civil war, and Britain has been taken over by a totalitarian government through fear of an epidemic. "V" who has personal reasons, wants to destroy the government, and spark change, in a very big way. He gets help from a sometimes reluctant Natalie Portman, who is the orphan of two political activists.

Anyway, go see the movie, I strongly recommend it.

Last edited by Mathew : 03-21-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
elchango36
WWJCD

I think I remember seeing posters advertising this back when I was a Senior in high school (a little over 2 years ago). I clearly remember that mask or face and definetly remember the V. I always thought it was for a video game or something. Looks interesting. I might have to go check this out.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Yeah I've seen the previews, looks good.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Looks really good, I'll probably go see it
Old 03-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

I saw it yesterday as well, i don’t know about you man but IMAX is the only way to see this movie!

It was incredible everything you say about it is true... and there is just so much more, the metaphors, the lesson... not a single moment of this film is filler! I cried during Valerie’s story I don’t know about you but it was just like so moving and sad.

If you get a chance to see it in either IMAX or regular format go see it... this falls in my top 10 best films of all times.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I read the MSN review or whatever it is that pops up when u sign in msn

it looks really really good, but i dont go to a whole lot of movies
I just might have to go see this one,

last movie I saw was collateral in st johns,
very good too

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
Mathew

Its definately not for everyone though. Its a serious movie - and one the viewer should take seriously. There were people in my theater near me who laughed the whole time. Especially during Valerie's story. "Is she a lesbian? teeeheeeheeeheheee!".

It is definately a movie for mature people, despite the 14A rating (at least here in Canada.

And I agree Fiero, I was almost in tears during her story and a few other bits of the movies. I get emotional, but don't cry, hehe. You know that wave that comes over you when a scene in a movie just moves you.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #8
ride3k
CF Addict

im seeing this on friday, i can't wait. Looks like the perfect mix of action and story, the only way a movie should go. Cant wait!

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
boothe
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
And the finale was brilliant too, although the trailers ruined it, as always.

//SEMI SPOILER//

I wondered why they did that? Was kinda disappointing.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothe
//SEMI SPOILER//

I wondered why they did that? Was kinda disappointing.

Because in American cinema its a tradition... donít ask me where/when it started... but it sucks that they still do it... I have Citizen Kane on dvd and, my version anyway, has the original trailer and it gives nothing away... maybe it has to do with that they donít think todayís audiences will be bothered to see a good movie if a lot of it isnít in the preview to phyc them up to go see it... thatís why I love teaser trailers... because they donít share as much of the movie and you get more surprises.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
thatís why I love teaser trailers... because they donít share as much of the movie and you get more surprises.
Yeah, but sometimes teaser trailers contain scenes that aren't in the movie. I remember seeing a couple teasers and then watching the movie waiting for that scene and it never happened. For example, anyone remember the funny teaser for Monster's Inc.? Where the character's are arguing because they were supposed to go to Magnolia and somehow ended up in Mongolia. It was a really funny scene, that never happened in the moive. That kinda dissapoints too, although not as much as ruining the flic. That's why as much as I'd like to see the trailer, I'm not going to.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #12
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Yeah, but sometimes teaser trailers contain scenes that aren't in the movie. I remember seeing a couple teasers and then watching the movie waiting for that scene and it never happened. For example, anyone remember the funny teaser for Monster's Inc.? Where the character's are arguing because they were supposed to go to Magnolia and somehow ended up in Mongolia. It was a really funny scene, that never happened in the moive. That kinda dissapoints too, although not as much as ruining the flic. That's why as much as I'd like to see the trailer, I'm not going to.

In that example i think they did it so that you could see itíd be a funny movie with out giving away any of the plot... and thatís great cause you get to see the characters in a free extra scene.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #13
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36

Remember the one for Godzilla (stupid movie anyway), where it shows a class at the museum looking at the T-Rex skeleton, then Godzilla's foot comes through the ceiling and crushes it. Don't think that ever happened.

Or the one for Spiderman, where he webs up a helicopter in between two large buildings (was it the Trade Centers? Don't remember).
Old 03-23-2006, 03:44 AM   #14
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Or the one for Spiderman, where he webs up a helicopter in between two large buildings (was it the Trade Centers? Don't remember).

Ya there was, they removed that from the posters after 9/11.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Just saw the movie and it was GREAT!! Definitely one of the greatest movies I've seen. It was pretty confusing though, so I'll have to watch it again to understand everything more thoroughly(sp?)...Scary thing is, with the way things are going right now, I wouldn't be too surprised if in 2030 or whatever stuff does get like that

I loved the movie though