Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
ditzygirl
CF Newbie

Automatic Shifting Question

Hi Guys, & girls?, I have a 2000 Camry, 4 cylinder, Automatic & that's all I can tell you about it. Anyways, I have the habit of shifting down from Drive to 2nd to slow down in a hurry- like to go around corners and such- and to get extra power for passing. I also use the overdrive button alot for the same reasons, so my question: is this bad for my car to do this or am i safe? Thank you for all your help
ditzygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzygirl
Hi Guys, & girls?, I have a 2000 Camry, 4 cylinder, Automatic & that's all I can tell you about it. Anyways, I have the habit of shifting down from Drive to 2nd to slow down in a hurry- like to go around corners and such- and to get extra power for passing. I also use the overdrive button alot for the same reasons, so my question: is this bad for my car to do this or am i safe? Thank you for all your help
Forget about the fact that it's bad for the transmission, hard on drivetrain parts and entirely unnecessary to do. Based on your description of your driving habits, YOU should be removed from the public roads immediately and perhaps permanently.

Maybe your screen name should have been ignorantanddangerousgirl.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Forget about the fact that it's bad for the transmission, hard on drivetrain parts and entirely unnecessary to do. Based on your description of your driving habits, YOU should be removed from the public roads immediately and perhaps permanently.

Maybe your screen name should have been ignorantanddangerousgirl.
I prefer to you the brakes for slowing down, myself. And the accerator for overtaking etc....if the car hasn't got the guts, I dont embarrass myself lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Cliffy is right, that’s what brakes and passing gear are for (this is when you press your foot to the floor). It sounds like your trying to drive an auto like its a manual, and this is not going to be good for any body most of all your car.

My suggestion is either if you just have to drive like that, go out learn to drive a manual and get one... or drive your auto the way its indented.
I would also find the person who taught you to drive like that and kick them in the nutz that and make them pay for your tranny when it blows, which it will do a lot sooner now.

You've got to know your car and its capabilities and your car just isn’t made to be driven like that.