Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #1
Great1
CF Newbie

1982 Chevy Cavalier engine

I have a 1982 Cavalier and would like to get a motor put in it without replacing the transmission of the car. The original specs for the Cavalier is it has a 4 cylinder 1.8L motor. What kind of motor can I get put in the car? Do I have to stick with finding a Cavalier motor for it or can I used another type of motor? I would like to get a newer motor for the cav that would best match and fit the Cavalier with little or no modification done to the car. My budget is $1000.
Great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great1
I have a 1982 Cavalier and would like to get a motor put in it without replacing the transmission of the car. The original specs for the Cavalier is it has a 4 cylinder 1.8L motor. What kind of motor can I get put in the car? Do I have to stick with finding a Cavalier motor for it or can I used another type of motor? I would like to get a newer motor for the cav that would best match and fit the Cavalier with little or no modification done to the car. My budget is $1000.
Probably the easiest and cheapest way to go would be with a 2.8 V6 from a later model Cavalier. Your budget really doesn't leave much to work with. If you're not dead set on using this particular car, you'd no doubt be money ahead to start with a different base vehicle if you're looking for some performance.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #3
Great1
CF Newbie

What choice do I have if I raise my budget to $1500-$2000? This was my first car so I want to get it fix.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What choice do I have if I raise my budget to $1500-$2000? This was my first car so I want to get it fix.
About the same. How much of the work, fabrication and redesign can you accomplish yourself? If you're here asking this question, we can pretty well figure not much. Keep it simple or use another base.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
Great1
CF Newbie

I'm not going to do any of the work myself.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I'm not going to do any of the work myself.
Then you're not going to get a modified car. I know this may come as a surprise, but people who do good custom work/modifications don't work cheap. Sounds like you r best bet would be to make your Cavalier into a planter.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Great1
CF Newbie

So will a 2.8 V6 fit in the Cavalier without me changing the transmission and little modification to the car.