Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
BlueMeanie
CF Newbie

225 slant six?

So after several attempts to find, or rebuild my AMC 258 in my Gremlin. I've pretty much given up on the original engine plan on restoring the Grem.
I've come accross a dodge slant six. I'm pretty sure it would match up with my 904 transmission already in the grem, and wouldn't take too much to make the rest fit.
I don't know much about the reputation for the 225 six's. I've heard that they're reliable engines, but what else can I find out? Does anybody know where I could read up on those guys?
thanks a lot.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #2
Aondor
CF Addict

wikipedia.com probly covers the basics
Old 03-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I used to have a '72 Duster with the 225...nice engine...weak power in stock trim. Check out this site if you really want to learn... www.slantsix.org

There are some really nice, knowledable guys there, anything you need to know they'll tell ya. Heck one even decided to sell & ship a control arm to me from California to NJ for $21...talk about charity. Good luck and have fun.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
BlueMeanie
CF Newbie

Killer!

I'm really excited about this.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
BlueMeanie
CF Newbie

SHITTY!
After talking to a few gremlin guys. I've found that even though the transmission is chrysler, it won't match up with the 225 slant six. I have no idea how much work/money it takes to make it fit. I don't know what to do.... I am sad now
Old 03-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMeanie
SHITTY!
After talking to a few gremlin guys. I've found that even though the transmission is chrysler, it won't match up with the 225 slant six. I have no idea how much work/money it takes to make it fit. I don't know what to do.... I am sad now
You can install the 225 in the Gremlin by using a Mopar issue 904. Of course you still have to sort out mounts, wiring etc. I'm not sure what the problem is with the 258. Junkyards are full of them, parts are readily available and the bonus is that it's a direct bolt in. Why make things harder than they have to be?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote