Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
ZSebag
CF Newbie

Starting a Project

Hi, my name is Zach and i'm 16. I'm extremely interested in cars, i'm currently trying to get into restoring a car for personal use. I have one main problem though, I have no idea how to work on cars nor do I have any connections. I've tried reading through the internet, but it seems lacking without the hands on experience. I was wondering whether it would be possible just to spend 3 grand on a muscle car and begin toying with it.

(I may decide to spend 1500 on a daily driver and 1500 on my muscle car)

Anyways if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to post.

Thanks in advance.
ZSebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:13 AM   #2
codeblue
CF Newbie

Just go for it

I was in the same situation about a year and a half ago. I had never done any serious restoration and knew very little about cars. But I wanted to learn so I started looking. I wanted something that was running fairly well, was somewhat inexpensive, but needed some work. After about 3 or 4 months of searching I found a 74 Nova for $1200. It runs amazingly well with only 75,000 on the original 350 engine but its LIME GREEN! haha From there I just started with small projects and as I got confidence I started to tackle bigger ones. You'll be fine as long as you have patience, desire, and (as you'll soon find out) a lot of money. haha Good luck!
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:34 AM   #3
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Older cars are much easier to work on so that will help. If you don't have any experience you can always ask relatives or friends and maybe there are a few people into cars that are willing to show you a few things. If that doesn't work I'm sure you have auto shop in your school and you might be able to learn a few things in there.

Finding an older muscle car for 1500-3000 might be a bit challenging but you might find a bargain or you might have to settle for a less desirable car, more of a plain jane with a smaller engine and less options.

Good luck.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

You dont have anyone around to help you? That sucks...thats always a big help when learning

Its hard to find a good muscle car basis for a restoration project for cheap like Benson has said. I wouldnt suggest looking on the internet. Look locally. What would be good for you to start with is a older Camaro with a 350 V8. VERY simple cars. The 350 V8 is probably the most simple V8 ever made. Im not saying get a 80's smogged up hunk of junk excuse for a muscle car that Chevrolet decided to call a "Camaro". Look for an early to mid 70's Camaro. The 67-70 Camaros are almost impossible to get for a reasonable amount.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
Older cars are much easier to work on so that will help. If you don't have any experience you can always ask relatives or friends and maybe there are a few people into cars that are willing to show you a few things. If that doesn't work I'm sure you have auto shop in your school and you might be able to learn a few things in there.

Finding an older muscle car for 1500-3000 might be a bit challenging but you might find a bargain or you might have to settle for a less desirable car, more of a plain jane with a smaller engine and less options.

Good luck.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with plain Jane, no option cars lol.. just look at the Road Runner when it came out.

There are plenty of great deals out there though, most will just take some searching. I've seen many on the internet for under 2K, one of the most recent was a 68' Cuda' 318 car for $1500 CND.

Good luck on your search

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote