Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Vegastar
CF Newbie

Cool hows it going got a question plz help

hows it going i have a question that i would for everyone to help me out with. I m 16 and im looking for car to buy i really like the 83 cutlass and its nice. I have a 350 motor i built ready to go. Would the cutlass be a good choice. What are the pros and cons plz help ty
Vegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
adamc44
CF Freak

it should fit right in there, you will prob have to install chevy lower motor mounts cause the olds wont work and you might have to move the crossmemeber around for the trans to bolt down to. shouldnt be that hard of a project.

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Vegastar
CF Newbie

thanks man yea ill get those mounts but do you think the 83 cutlass would be a good choice for a car for the first one
Old 03-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastar
thanks man yea ill get those mounts but do you think the 83 cutlass would be a good choice for a car for the first one
sure it will, you don need a new car when you start driving. Thats one thing that realy steams me, parents buying a brand new 30k + car for their "Little Angel" and expecting the kid to not get into trouble with it. Kids should save and buy their own car, yes it will be a beater most times, but at least the child should learn how to take pride in a possesion and try to take care of it.
anyway, yeah a cutlass is a pretty decent car and they dont look that bad either. wish i could have found somthing like that, i ended up with an 86 GMC 1500 that looks nothing like the truck in my sig.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

sure its not the 350 diesel

thatd be a nice unique ride

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
glagon1979
daddy x3

nice cars. wish i could find them in nice shape around here.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Vegastar
CF Newbie

hey thanks alot i definetly agree with the parents buying the kids a car thing. i have saved up enough to get the car and even add extras so this sounds good to me thanks guys those are some sweet pics too thank you
Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastar
hey thanks alot i definetly agree with the parents buying the kids a car thing. i have saved up enough to get the car and even add extras so this sounds good to me thanks guys those are some sweet pics too thank you
Did anyone mention that if you want to put a SBC in place of the original Olds engine, you'll need to get a matching transmission along with the matching flexplate and torque convertor because the bellhousing bolt pattern is different between Chevys and BOP's. That being said, there were some cars that came with a dual pattern bellhousing but yours is probably not one of them. Also you'll have some wiring issues to deal with such as moving the starter wiring to the right side. I also hope you have a complete Chevy engine built along with the accessorys, brackets, manifolds, distributor, etc because they aren't interchangable.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Did anyone mention that if you want to put a SBC in place of the original Olds engine, you'll need to get a matching transmission along with the matching flexplate and torque convertor because the bellhousing bolt pattern is different between Chevys and BOP's. That being said, there were some cars that came with a dual pattern bellhousing but yours is probably not one of them. Also you'll have some wiring issues to deal with such as moving the starter wiring to the right side. I also hope you have a complete Chevy engine built along with the accessorys, brackets, manifolds, distributor, etc because they aren't interchangable.

not trying to take over anyones thread,

but the 305 v8 in an 86 grand prix -- sig/
is that a small block chevy or a pontiac v8?the car is not with me right now so i cant go have a look or anything
i know I made a thread about it already but I need to be 100% sure

thanks anyway

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
Old 03-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #10
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk

is that a small block chevy or a pontiac v8?the car is not with me right now so i cant go have a look or anything

thanks anyway
I remember someone put one in an 88 Camaro
Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 AM   #11
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
I remember someone put one in an 88 Camaro

seems like a odd idea

isint there a 5 litre v8 available for them anyway? lol

Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

thanks anyway
The 305 was considered a corporate engine but was in fact a SBC. Unless you're incorrect about the engine size, the year of the car or the engine has been swapped out at some point, you have a SBC.

Here's a dynamic thought. Why not spend some time under the hood of old American V8 cars and learn what a Buick vs Chevy vs Oldsmobile vs Pontiac engines look like. You're not going to find that out doing 340 mph playing GT4.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #13
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
The 305 was considered a corporate engine but was in fact a SBC. Unless you're incorrect about the engine size, the year of the car or the engine has been swapped out at some point, you have a SBC.

Here's a dynamic thought. Why not spend some time under the hood of old American V8 cars and learn what a Buick vs Chevy vs Oldsmobile vs Pontiac engines look like. You're not going to find that out doing 340 mph playing GT4.

hey thats damn fast for that game

but I do have a good bit of experience with different engines,

point form lol

- my dads car, 350 76 camaro

- my 18 yr old brothers car in progress and nearly done, 68 mustang coupe I6

- snowmobiles, yamaha bravo, yamaha enticer, yamaha gs340 82,79,76

-chainsaws and snowblowers and stuff,

all relatively simple, and old

end rant here

its the stock engine and im really glad its a SBC because there are no aftermarket parts at all for the pontiac block
this is good news

Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
hey thats damn fast for that game

but I do have a good bit of experience with different engines,

point form lol

- my dads car, 350 76 camaro

- my 18 yr old brothers car in progress and nearly done, 68 mustang coupe I6

- snowmobiles, yamaha bravo, yamaha enticer, yamaha gs340 82,79,76

-chainsaws and snowblowers and stuff,

all relatively simple, and old

end rant here

its the stock engine and im really glad its a SBC because there are no aftermarket parts at all for the pontiac block
this is good news
1. If your fathers car has a 350 Chevy, why couldn't you look at the 305 and see it's essentially the same thing?

2. There is full aftermarket support for Pontiacs. You an make a Pontiac go just as fast for less money than a Chevy. Stop listening to people who don't know of which they speak.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:13 AM   #15
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
1. If your fathers car has a 350 Chevy, why couldn't you look at the 305 and see it's essentially the same thing?

2. There is full aftermarket support for Pontiacs. You an make a Pontiac go just as fast for less money than a Chevy. Stop listening to people who don't know of which they speak.

point form lol

- the cars in bay roberts about 3 or so hours away, I wish i could check it out more thouroughly(sp? lol)

-i had a nice look on sites like jegs, edelbrock, summit, etc etc...
with nothing more than plug wires and fake hood scoops that look like they belong on a civic... with 10x as much stuff for the chevy

im not too concerned now though, since I finally found out