Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
KK07
CF Newbie

stereo dead after jump-starting car?

Hi there, okay well I have an aftermarket head unit in my 97 grand am (its a Pioneer Premier deh-p850mp). Anyways, my friend needed me to boost his prelude for him so I hooked up pos to pos from my car to his and neg to neg on our battery terminals and then turned my car on and got him to turn his on after. His car started up and we let it sit for a few minutes and then I left for class, as I got into my car, I saw that my head unit was not on. I drove there listening to music but now it wouldn't come on at all. I've checked my fuses and they all seem fine, deck is getting power as well. My question is, is it possible for me to have fried my cd player by jump starting my friend's car? Shouldn't I have smelled something burning or see something burned in the deck's internals? I opened it up and it seems fine. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!
KK07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
84olds98
CF Newbie

if you have the manual, check and see if there is a "Reset" button behind the face or on the back. i have had my crappy stereo "die" when i disconnected my battery to work on something and it needed to be reset. maybe that's all it needs.
84olds98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:51 AM   #3
thongsai
CF Enthusiast

i would recheck it .. take out deck and check if u have ur 3 main wires working.. bat, acc, gnd. check the deck fuse.
and next time when u jump a car, dont have both cars connected and turned on for a "few minutes". it puts both alternators in FULL fielding mode.. basically bypassing regulators and putting the alternators to MAX.

My for sale and buying thread
thongsai is offline   Reply With Quote